• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

WA SAWS News: WA State Proposed Senate Bill SB6900 - Establishing vehicle engine disp

Just sent the email below out to our WA SAWS members. Some of the formatting is messed up below, but the formatting in the email is correct, and I didn't feel like re-typing here for folks that aren't SAWS members and don't get our emails.

SAWS members,

And you thought my email prior to work this morning regarding lack of funds for sno-park removal might cost you some extra money down the road. Take a look at SB6900. This is just crazy.

One of the prime sponsors of SB6900 is no other than our OHV friend (not) Senator Adam Kline, the Senator that hates all forms of OHV use and users.

Recall the issue last year about this time during the state legislative session over his anti-OHV noise level bill SB5544? Well not only is SB5544 back again in this session, but now Senator Kline is one of the sponsors for another OHV unfriendly bill, an anti-large vehicle bill that will make you pay dearly for owning a larger liter/greater emissions engine that would cost us OHV users a heck of a lot of money for fees related to our tow vehicles, if not many of our other personal vehicles too.

Senator Kline's new bill SB6900:
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/billinfo/summary.aspx?bill=6900&year=2007

Senator Kline's previous and existing bill SB5544:
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/billinfo/summary.aspx?bill=5544&year=2007

Senator Kline's rude response to OHV users emails last year over emails from SB5544:
http://blog.seattletimes.nwsource.c...3/sen_kline_tells_offroaders_to_buzz_off.html

Sponsors: Senators Tom, Kohl-Welles, Pridemore, Keiser, Kline

2008 REGULAR SESSION
Feb 1 First reading, referred to Water, Energy & Telecommunications. (View Original Bill)
Feb 5 Executive action taken in the Senate Committee on Water and Energy & Telecommunications at 10:00 AM.
Feb 6 WET - Majority; without recommendation.
And refer to Transportation.
Minority; without recommendation.
Referred to Transportation.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/documents/billdocs/2007-08/Pdf/Bills/Senate Bills/6900.pdf

You may wish to contact your WA State Senator and request that they oppose both of these two bills. You can look up your WA State Senator at this link: http://apps.leg.wa.gov/DistrictFinder/Default.aspx

Dave
Snowmobile Alliance of Western States

Copy of bill pasted below in plain text below.

SENATE BILL SB6900

State of Washington 60th Legislature 2008 Regular Session

By Senators Tom, Kohl-Welles, Pridemore, Keiser, and Kline

Read first time 02/01/08. Referred to Committee on Water, Energy &

Telecommunications.

1 AN ACT Relating to establishing vehicle engine displacement and

2 emissions fees; adding new sections to chapter 46.17 RCW; providing

3 effective dates; and providing an expiration date.

4 BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON:

5 NEW SECTION. Sec. 1. A new section is added to chapter 46.17 RCW

6 to read as follows:

7 (1) A vehicle engine displacement fee must be paid and collected

8 annually for motor vehicles subject to the fee under RCW 46.16.0621,

9 except motor homes. The amount of the fee must be based upon the

10 vehicle engine size in liters, which is correlated with vehicle size

11 and vehicle emissions. The fee imposed under this section must be used

12 for transportation purposes, and may not be used for the general

13 support of state government. The vehicle engine displacement fee is

14 that portion of the fee, as reflected on the engine size in liters set

15 forth in the schedule provided in this section,that is in excess of

16 the fees imposed under RCW 46.16.0621 and 46.17.010. For vehicles

17 registered on or after January 1, 2009, the vehicle engine displacement

18 fee under this section is due at the time of initial vehicle

19 registration and any subsequent renewal of vehicle registration.

1 Engine Size (liters) Rate Schedule
2 Up to 1.9 $0
3 2.0 - 2.9 $70
4 3.0 - 3.9 $225
5 4.0 - 4.9 $275
6 5.0 - 5.9 $325
7 6.0 - 7.9 $400
8 8.0 or over $600

9 (2) For the purpose of administering this section, the department

10 shall rely on the vehicle engine size in liters as provided by vehicle

11 manufacturers, or other sources defined by the department, to determine

12 the engine size in liters of each vehicle. The department shall adopt

13 rules for determining engine size in liters for vehicles that do not

14 have a manufacturer-provided engine size in liters.

15 (3) The vehicle engine displacement fee under this section is

16 imposed to provide funds to mitigate the impact of vehicle loads on the

17 state roads and highways, as well as encourage the reduction of vehicle

18 emissions and is separate and distinct from other vehicle license fees.

19 (4) The vehicle engine displacement fee collected under this

20 section must be deposited into the multimodal transportation account.

21 NEW SECTION. Sec. 2. A new section is added to chapter 46.17 RCW

22 to read as follows:

23 (1) A vehicle emissions fee must be paid and collected annually for

24 motor vehicles subject to the fee under RCW 46.16.0621, except motor

25 homes. The amount of the fee must be based upon the grams of carbon

26 dioxide (CO2) emission per mile. Fees imposed under this section must

27 be used for transportation purposes, and may not be used for the

28 general support of state government. The vehicle emissions fee is that

29 portion of the fee, as reflected on the grams of carbon dioxide (CO2)

30 emission per mile set forth in the schedule provided in this section,

31 that is in excess of the fees imposed under RCW 46.16.0621 and

1 46.17.010. On or after January 1, 2012, the vehicle emissions fee

2 under this section is due at the time of initial vehicle registration

3 and any subsequent renewal of vehicle registration.

4 CO2 Emissions (grams/mile) Rate Schedule
5 Up to 161 $0
6 162 - 193 $70
7 194 - 241 $225
8 242 - 266 $275
9 267 - 298 $325
10 299 - 362 $400
11 Over 362 $600

12 (2) For the purpose of administering this section, the department

13 shall rely on the grams of carbon dioxide (CO2) emission per mile as

14 provided by vehicle manufacturers, or other sources defined by the

15 department, to determine the grams of carbon dioxide (CO2) emission per

16 mile of each vehicle. The department shall adopt rules for determining

17 grams of carbon dioxide (CO2) emission per mile for vehicles without

18 manufacturer-provided information on grams of carbon dioxide (CO2)

19 emission per mile.

20 (3) The vehicle emissions fee under this section is imposed to

21 provide funds to mitigate the impact of vehicle loads on the state

22 roads and highways, as well as encourage the reduction of vehicle

23 emissions and is separate and distinct from other vehicle license fees.

24 (4) The vehicle emissions fee collected under this section must be

25 deposited into the multimodal transportation account.

26 NEW SECTION. Sec. 3. Section 1 of this act takes effect January

27 1, 2009.

28 NEW SECTION. Sec. 4. Section 2 of this act takes effect January

29 1, 2012.

30 NEW SECTION. Sec. 5. Section 1 of this act expires January 1, 2012.

K
Carbon Credits for Sale

Oh please. What the heck is this dudes issue??? I'll match my carbon credits anytime with his. I ride my bicycle and moto from April to November. My moto gets like 55 miles a gallon (if I keep it under a hundred). So, buck up Kline! Let's match those credits! Don't throw them stones (assuming you have a couple) unless you really know what you are talking about. By the way, I offered to take Sen. Kline out for a little trail ride last summer, so he could understand our sport a little (moto, that is). Never heard back from him. Go figure. Ride on everyone!

Bagger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
South Central WA
The amount of the fee must be based upon the

vehicle engine size in liters, which is correlated with vehicle size

and vehicle emissions. (lines 9, 10 and 11 in the text)

This is brillant, there are about 1,400,000 school buses, ambulances, delivery trucks, fire trucks and lord knows what else out there with the same engine that's in my 8,000 lb pickup.

I think we need to institute an intelligence minimum that has to be met in order to be in public office.

Bagger

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
Aren't these people supposed to be working FOR us???:eek::mad::clock:

It's funny how they never admit that they want to increase taxes when running for office. Also, how can they think it right to charge you for the size of my engine, when I already pay them extra for my trucks higher tonnage? (10,000 GVW)

A
Nov 26, 2007
Arlington, WA
Don't you dare forget who the people are who elects these people. Many are peops in the higher density cities. Renters (don't pay property taxes), many only own one car or none at all (bus riders), so why not have everyone else pay for their way.

P

papa bear

Nov 26, 2007
Hobart, WA
The phrase "except motorhomes" really has me confused.

Does Adam Kline, or a relative of his, own a motorhome?

Is Adam Kline, or a relative of his, recieving financial backing from the motorhome industry.

H
Nov 26, 2001
Renton
As I read this--it is for 09 and new vehicles. But exempting all government vehicles is BS. MH lobby must be to strong in Olympia for Kline to fight--LOL.
This is the same bonehead that thinks there should be no ATVs,personal watercraft,snowmobiles,dirt bikes etc. And he is the rudest person out there--basically says that it is tough--we do not need these items for our use according to this doinker!!
I have sent my emails to my congress and reps about this bill. Do not just complain--do your part and voice your opinion to those who(supposidly) vote for us in Olympia or it just may pass with all the bleeding heart liberals in this state.:mad:

H20SKE...

M
Dec 21, 2007
Washington
I totally agree with associations and groups alerting people to the ideas being proposed, yet I object when they do this and TELL a person what to do in response.

Any intelligent, thinking person will draw their conclusion based on the facts. They do not need hand holding and being told how to react.

On to this subject. I fully agree with this displacement and emission proposal, although not only CO2 but CO should be included.

I am willing to pay for the damage my actions cause for the priviledge of doing what I want.

Someone has to foot the bill to replace the roads infrastructure and since the push has been away from everyone sharing the cost, it is only fair to impose "user" fees based on the share people use.

The auto industry isn't addressing emissions reductions and have gone back to large displacement engine instead of smaller high tech performance engine because they are cheaper for them to produce. The EPA under the current administration is not doing anything and won't allow states to impose higher standards.

This is a financially based incentive for changes in the industry.

Pollution has real impacts that have real costs and someone should be paying to fix them. This emission tax hits those who chose vehicles that pollute more than others. Notice that it starts at zero and increases progressively. Why should someone putting out twice the emission not pay for exceeding their share?

Additionally larger vehicles have a greater impact on roads with the damage they do.

I think that vehicle gross weight should also be taxed. Heavier vehicles damage the roads more, so you should pay for your share.

Why should I pay the same while being responsible while others are doing the real damage and not footing the bill for it?

I drive diesel engine cars which emit more CO2 than a gasser, but produce less CO. They are 2.0L so I would get dinged twice.

As well I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel for towing so I would pay for all three if my vehicle weight was figured in.

I accept responsibility for the impact of my actions on the world and would gladly pay my dues for the priviledges I have access to in this great country. It takes money to keep up with progress and growth.

M
Dec 21, 2007
Washington
I must be dreaming. I thought we elected folks with perspective and wisdom. Not narrow minded selfish unAmerians.

What exacty is unAmerican?

Asking those who are using more resources than others to pay more for it?

We pay by the gallon for the lower MPG big vehicles so why is this any different.

Besides we will pay $45,000 dollars for a F350 Powerstroke diesel but whine about this idea of paying $200 to cover the impact of the heavy truck and diesel emissions.

Selfish is denying your actions impact others and not "man"ing up to your responsibilities.

You play you pay.

Nov 27, 2007
I just got off the phone with Senator Val Stevens from the 39th Dist. She believes the bill will not make it into session and they Democrats only have till the 12th to get it through the transportation committee.

M
Dec 21, 2007
Washington
Don't you dare forget who the people are who elects these people. Many are peops in the higher density cities. Renters (don't pay property taxes), many only own one car or none at all (bus riders), so why not have everyone else pay for their way.

Wrong. Badly biased stereotyping.

I support these people.

I own three cars including a big SUV, I own my house (not a renter), don't ride public transportation and pay my own way to enjoy the benefits of living in such a great state and country.

I could move to India or Mexico if I wanted to leave cheap but I would have to give up a hell of lot. This country is worth whatever the costs.

M
Dec 21, 2007
Washington
As I read this--it is for 09 and new vehicles. But exempting all government vehicles is BS. MH lobby must be to strong in Olympia for Kline to fight--LOL.
H20SKE...

You want Government vehicles to be included so there are even less dollars left for snowplowing and trail grooming?

Duh. Let's tax our tax dollars. That does not make sense.

Premium Features