• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Voltage Regulator/Rectifier issues maybe Stator? - error code 6 coolant temp AND Fuel gauge sender? 2014 M8000 LTD

Eagleseyre

Premium Member
Oct 7, 2018
I've had some overheating issues lately, Error Code 6 for the coolant temp sensor (which I cannot find...) All but the slowest speeds give me the code, scratchers down, fresh powder, it makes no difference. Eventually the wrench symbol comes on and I limp away.

I also am having a hard time figuring out which connector is from the Stator without fully pulling the engine out. (see pic)

Turning the key to on position I get nothing on the display, ignition works fine.

Also getting FUEL on the display and showing empty most of the time. Sometimes it blips up for a while then konks out. I know the gauge is notoriously wrong but it's a new issue and may be related to voltage/resistance? I burned through fuel on my last trip, thinking that the mixture went super rich...

The voltage regulator doesn't look like the OEM, looks like the previous rider replaced it... (see pic)

I'm not super small engine saavy and just picking things out of the shop manual that might be the problem. The battery is fine.

My best guess at this point is that the voltage regulator is bad...or the ECU any thoughts?

And a bonus question... see last pic... is this an overflow or should there be a hose attached :)

Thanks y'all !

Trevor

whereswaldostator.jpgvoltagereg.jpgbonus1.jpg

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
It's one of the white/clearish ones for the stator. There are two connections that come off the stator though, Juice and the crank sensor. The big one is volts.
Looks like a normal regulator, just mounted upside down

No idea what the vent tube is on the bearing housing. It's just there. I've always wondered myself.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
I agree it looks like the factory voltage regulator. Tube sticking out is the chain case vent. Does your sled have electric start? If not there won't be anything on the gage until the machine is started. I'd get the stator tested. They can cause weird issues when they go.

Side note: might want to move/re-route your plug wires a little. Recoil rope will wear a groove in them.

Premium Features