• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Vail Pass

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
Drove by today. Conditions are what they should be...for November. I rode the second week of November up there and you really couldn't leave the road. Not much snow since then except the new storm. It's getting better, but far from the point where you can ride anywhere.

skicopper

Premium Member
Apr 10, 2014
Headed to copper this weekend and will be riding VP at least one day. I’ll try to give an update on the conditions. I’ve only ridden Cooke City so far this year, I think I’m gonna be sorely disappointed with VP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

manlye

Lifetime Membership
Jul 6, 2009
3ft the trees with no base

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

R
Feb 29, 2016
Looks really bleak from the highway. None of the willows are covered, maybe 18 inches around the parking area, no base, 3 ft in the trees would surprise me... I would think off trail riding could get expensive fast. As mentioned, it usually looks like this in early Nov, not at New Years.

Good for some trail time and better than I have heard flattops or grand mesa are. At least I didn't see gravel on the road...

Pretty bleak, I wouldn't travel from anywhere to ride there but I am starting to get a little desperate!

skicopper

Premium Member
Apr 10, 2014
Rode VP yesterday over to camp hale, the south trail was not groomed and had bare spots. I would not recommend leaving the trail, it’s deep in some spots in the trees but there’s no base at all. I’m probably lucky I didn’t bust an a-arm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sleddin pete

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Summit County Colorado
Drove over V/P yesterday, I've seen it look better on Halloween.I live 15 miles away, and wouldn't drive any further than that to ride here until it snows again.

Rode Grand Lake the 26th,day after 1st real storm of season. Super thin out of Idleglenn lot, 6" packed on trail but 3' or so up on Gravel mtn. Heard it's snirt/ snow dirt mix out of Idleglenn now.

Rode Rabbit Ears today, while not great 10 times better than V/P .

If I was driving from out of state, I'd head north to Wyoming.

Worst winter I've seen here since I moved here in 1990.

Premium Features