• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Ultra in Dragon build / All About Powersports in Meridian

S
Nov 26, 2007
Kuna
OK, I've kept my mouth shut during the process for a reason.
Here we go, I'll start at the beginning.

Before you get to the pictures, please keep in mind that the work shown here is that of ALL ABOUT POWERSPORTS in Meridian, ID and NOT MINE.

NEVER GO THERE. They will F... you hard with a cactus.

I go up riding snowmobiles to get Christmas trees with family. My steering post breaks at the end of the day on my 2007 Polaris RMK700 Dragon.
Motor has to come out to get to lower steering post mount, so I took it to All About Powersports in Meridian, ID to replace the post. $215 and it’s done. No problem.

I get the sled back 5 days later to have it only make it less than 3 miles to where the motor locks up tight.

I take the machine back to All About Powersports the next day to see why.

We discovered then that both fuel intake boots where the fuel injection sends fuel/air mixture into the motor were torn. This allows it to suck in more air and burn way too hot in the motor and is what caused the catastrophic engine failure. The piston rings welded them selves to the cylinder walls and caused the crank shaft completely grind through the engine case in 1 spot. Pieces of metal went into the heads. The engine is done.

There is only 2 ways that both of those intake boots could be torn across the bottom side at the same time that the motor had just been taken out. 1 The mechanic just ripped the air box out to get it out of the way, or 2, he lifted the back of the motor by the fuel injection and ripped the boots that way, or both.

It was clearly bad work on the All About Powersports’s part that caused this.

Kevin Ralston, the shop owner, says he will make it right by making it into a total mod sled big bore or turbo in trade for putting their name on it and putting it into the Magnificent Mod contest at the Boise area Snowest Sled Show in October, and that I also ride it in a video for them. Justyn, his then shop manager and later head mechanic during this process was part of that discussion.
I agreed.

A new replacement stock motor for this 2007 Polaris RMK700 Dragon is over $3,000 plus labor.

We agree to put a Polaris Ultra 3 cylinder motor in it with a modified PSI tuned exhaust.
Being that it is not a normal motor for this chassis, I bought the motor mounting plate, motor, electricals, PSI tuned exhaust, and carb/intake for it. Justyn was just finishing up another Ultra motor project and said he could definitely handle it. He in particular said that he knew how to properly cut and re-bend a tuned exhaust to keep the same flow and volume that make it a tuned exhaust, and also we agreed that I’d be there to cut the exhaust so that it’s exactly how we need it. This way it will also cost the shop far less than even just the cost of a stock replacement motor.

We have an agreement and an obvious done time for it as well because the sled show they want this in is in October 2012.

On 12 August, 2013, The new steering post that All they replaced originally when they caused the engine failure, then cut and re-welded to clear the triple carburetor intake still does not clear the intake, it needs done again and right this time.

The new condition PSI Modblaster pipes are now pretty much destroyed as well. One of them in particular has a 3 inch wide patch of nothing but welds and grinds where they evidently could not figure out that too high of wattage is bad for this metal. There is still a dime sized hole in the middle. All 3 pipes now have sharp 90 degree bends causing flow to be completely wrong.
364913d1389631996-angry-dragon-thread-now-pics-sled-too-pipe-1.jpg

364914d1389631998-angry-dragon-thread-now-pics-sled-too-pipe-2.jpg

The snowmobile bulkhead (main frame) needs a re-enforced where it had to be notched out to clear the new motor’s water pump.

I met with the new shop fabricator / mechanic today and he says he can fix the pipes, the steering post to clear everything, and do the bulkhead re-enforcement. In short, he says he can fix everything the shop has destroyed.

It still needs a wiring harness, water temp gage, drive belt, Polaris Pro oil bottle because that one mounts over the clutch cover where there is room for it, The primary clutch needs the springs, weights, and bushings to be properly set up for this motor, all of the fuel delivery and cooling need plumbed in.

All About Powersports now wants me to pay $700 labor for all of the work they’ve done wrong so far plus all remaining parts and labor to finish the job. There is still about $750 in parts and 20 to 30 hours labor to do the job right.

Friday, Jan 10 2014, I FINALLY get my sled back and supposedly complete.

The exhaust section that was destroyed has the metal replaced, but the flow and volume are both all wrong now as the one of the pipes now has a big lump where it did not before. Found lots of sheet metal screws sticking out of the tub everywhere, coolant lines actually wedged between pipes and motor, parts left loose, sheet metal screw evidently holding plastic together sticking through the plastic and into coolant line, oil bottle hanging off the clutch cover by a singly nylon strap and 2 more sheet metal screws, they left off the 2 ring exhaust seals from each of the 3 exhaust pipe mounts, they cut to large holes in the tub that should not have been cut, the brand new steering post is destroyed in that they cut out the entire tube post and welded a piece of stock rod iron into it's place. I flexes over like a wet noodle just in unloading the sled to my garage. They also put a sheet metal screw into a shock mount.

Here are pictures to back up my claims:

364915d1389632205-angry-dragon-thread-now-pics-sled-too-img_0409.jpg

364915d1389632205-angry-dragon-thread-now-pics-sled-too-img_0409.jpg

364916d1389632249-angry-dragon-thread-now-pics-sled-too-img_0412.jpg

364917d1389632286-angry-dragon-thread-now-pics-sled-too-img_0413.jpg

364918d1389632320-angry-dragon-thread-now-pics-sled-too-img_0414.jpg

364919d1389632354-angry-dragon-thread-now-pics-sled-too-img_0415.jpg

364920d1389632385-angry-dragon-thread-now-pics-sled-too-img_0420.jpg

364921d1389632413-angry-dragon-thread-now-pics-sled-too-img_0421.jpg

364922d1389632457-angry-dragon-thread-now-pics-sled-too-img_0422.jpg

364923d1389632492-angry-dragon-thread-now-pics-sled-too-img_0423.jpg

364924d1389632514-angry-dragon-thread-now-pics-sled-too-img_0424.jpg

364925d1389632552-angry-dragon-thread-now-pics-sled-too-img_0425.jpg

I think the only reason I got it back is because I spent 7 of my last 10 days off going down to their shop to do a lot of the work my self and fixing their CRAP work all the way through. I've kept my mouth shut and played nice all this time so that I could at least get my sled done and back.

So now I’ve got 40 more hours into re doing all of the work they did and I need to get a new set of pipes and a NOTHER new steering post to fix the parts they destroyed.

Ya, I'm pizzed

Sorry the pics are so big

O

oscar680

Jan 29, 2010
Alberta
Wow what a mess

What did the owner say about having the sled at shows and it representing their company, What you agreed to before the work started?

Seems strange they would hack something together that they were planning to show off?

S
Nov 26, 2007
Kuna
The owner was evidently full of crap about entering his work in a show.
He didn't even have a booth at the sled show.
Evidently blowing smoke up my skirt.

Sorry about the large pics.

I did all of the repair to their work that I can and am set up to do.
From there I just dropped the sled off at High Mark Recreation where I should have taken it to begin with.
They are going through the rest and making it right.

S
Nov 26, 2007
Kuna
Wow what a mess

What did the owner say about having the sled at shows and it representing their company, What you agreed to before the work started?

Seems strange they would hack something together that they were planning to show off?

They were all proud of their work taking pictures and high fiving.
I couldn't believe it.

I do think I accomplished what I wanted to in posting all this up though.
As much as I'd like to grind on them a lot more,
it's better I move forward and leave that God awful shop in the past where they belong, just like the terrible memory that they are.
Putting out work like that is certain to get them shut down soon enough as it is and I think I did a good job of getting the word out for my part.
I posted this up on 5 sled forums and on facebook too thinking maybe I could prevent some others from making the mistake I made in taking my pride and joy in to those butchers.

I'm done with them now. Life is just too short for this negativity.
On to more positive things.

The sled is at a really good shop, High Mark Recreation, where I used to work and where I should have taken it to begin with.
It will be done and done right very soon (especially as compared to the 2 years these other bastards took to butcher it).
Probably 2 - 3 weeks and I'll be ripping through some pow.

Last edited:
S
Nov 26, 2007
Kuna
So the end of the story.
Sled is done and done right.
It is costing me $3,900 to redo everything they had wrong.
53 hours plus some parts.

Last edited:
S
Nov 26, 2007
Kuna
Justyn's first one was Ultra motor into XLT chassis with IQ seat and tank. SLP pipes, and a big mix of stuff. Looked ok on all but what I saw of the porting.
Evidently it must have had issues because when he walked out on them he abandoned it there. Only rode it once that I know of.
Then when he left, it was a 3rd mechanic screwing up my sled. Going there was the worst mistake in my sledding history.

X

xc6rider

Jan 12, 2009
Iowa
They clearly do horrendous work, along with having clue how to run a business... Sucks big time for you!

The worst part for me, of buying new sleds, with warranty... Knowing it has warranty, but not allowing anyone but myself to work on it! :)

S

SNWMBL

Feb 14, 2010
AK
Holy crap, are their kids doing the wrenching? That's literally some of the worst work I've ever seen.

S
Nov 26, 2007
Kuna
That's why I posted this up. All the years on here I've never done that before and don't want to again. I thought this warranted it and I especially want to prevent others from being screwed with a cactus like I got.

Premium Features