• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Turbo waste gate stopped opening

Kwillman

Premium Member
Nov 24, 2014
Oregon
Hey Guys, I am looking for some help / advice. My sled is a 2021 165 turbo. It has 170 miles and 20% left on the break-in. Today got out to ride some proper deep snow (2-3 feet) and the sled was doing great for the first half of the ride pulling perfect RPM's at 7900. You could hear the waste-gate open and spool the turbo. after 2 hours of riding I noticed loss of power and could no longer hear the waste-gate or turbo working. No codes and no warring lights were present. I did take a couple of pulls to see if RPMs dropped and I was only able to get them up to 7200-7400.

I currently have the hood off looking for anything out of the ordinary but did not find anything. Thanks for the help and happy new year!

P
May 2, 2008
Breckenridge, Co.
Wastegates usually do not make any noticeable noise. Turbos spool when the gate is closed and the wastegate opens once max boost it hit. It sounds more like your wastegate is stuck open which will cause it to not spool and just dump all exhaust through the silencer bypassing the turbo. I would make sure there are no loose hoses, check that the air box fresh air valve is operating correctly, then dig in to the wastegate. The wastegate is controlled electronically and is a bit more complicated than aftermarket basic wastegate designs as it uses exhaust gasses to keep the turbo spooled after decel. I have not worked on these sleds yet, but I don't think you have a BOV. Those can stick open and cause issues too.

T
Aug 8, 2011
Sounds more like the wastegate is not closing to build boost. With the hood and belt off, fire the sled up.
Wastegate should cycle from
Shut to open and then close again as you hit the throttle and rev it up.

Norona

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
North Vancouver, BC
www.noronalife.com
Check to see if the bar for the waste gate is off, i had one that the clip broke off, nothing bad can happen except your now riding an 850 without the turbo, its a 5 min fix, free at your dealer for the clip, of carry some bailing wire(thin) place the bar back on and put the wire around where the clip would go, we placed silicone on it to keep the clip lubricated

Kwillman

Premium Member
Nov 24, 2014
Oregon
Sounds more like the wastegate is not closing to build boost. With the hood and belt off, fire the sled up.
Wastegate should cycle from
Shut to open and then close again as you hit the throttle and rev it up.
Yes I lifted the rear end and fired sled up and waste gate opened and closed. Put it back together and plan to go out for a rip and see if it fixed itself.

Kwillman

Premium Member
Nov 24, 2014
Oregon
Check to see if the bar for the waste gate is off, i had one that the clip broke off, nothing bad can happen except your now riding an 850 without the turbo, its a 5 min fix, free at your dealer for the clip, of carry some bailing wire(thin) place the bar back on and put the wire around where the clip would go, we placed silicone on it to keep the clip lubricated
Thanks for the note. Yes we checked the clips and all were good and waste gate functions. Next time the hood is off I will hit the clips with some Silicone. Good call on bailing wire for the in the field fix.

Kwillman

Premium Member
Nov 24, 2014
Oregon
Hey guys quick update on why my Turbo was not building boost. See attached diagram.

Basically it was assembled wrong. If you loose your boost this is something to have a look at. I rode on Sunday and all was good in 2-3 foot deep heavy snow!

Attachments

• SkiDoo 2021 Air Intake System.pdf
    110.8 KB · Views: 191
T

towerrigger

Jul 9, 2008
So it was never building boost then? Just always pulling straight from air box.

Premium Features