• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Track size

S

simbatheking

Feb 5, 2010
invermere bc
It looks like the 120 length is most popular if u want ur bike to be manoeuvrable. I spoke w Moto trax as that's the kit I like most and they said the shorter 2" lug is the way to go even w a turbo. I plan on having about 90 hp if I get a track kit. I live in se bc so we get pretty good snow. I've only thrown a leg over a 120 timbers led but wo much experience it's really hard to know what I need. On my sled I really love the 3" track. It's also an 800 turbo at 10 psi. I have a slightly damaged track that's 3" lug that I was thinkin about cutting and have it shortened which I was quoted $900 to do. Will the 120 length still get me around on deep days? Also the other thing I was thinkin is if the long tracks don't handle too bad I could get a 146 track very cheap. Bike is a 15 te300 which I would turbo. Or should I just wait for skidoo to come out w a one ski machine. I can't see it being that far away

Last edited:

KAWGRN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
everywhere
I have both a 120X2.5 and a 137X2.5 had the 2 inch version of each also,, and I find my self going place on the 137 that the 120 cant, I ride the snowies and madres so may be the kind if snow but?? just sayin!!!!

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
The thicker BC snow is truly impressive how much more push you get off of it. I know going from riding my bike in SW Montana in drier early season snow i wish for a 137 a Lot to keep me floating through it, where even in waist deep BC pow the 120 seems to get WAY more push and keep trucking. My biggest concern boosted would be length to manage ski lift. I stick 120 as I ride bikes because they are short and fun to jump and shred tight stuff, if I want a deep pow rig, you go out on sleds. The 129 length is a pretty darn good compromise if you must thought. Although boosted I think the Firmer TS track will do better. The new Yeti Max trak 2 should be on par. But I know the first gen yeti tracks layed over pretty easy in firmer snow. Would really show when you add more ponies to it!

N
Mar 21, 2016
NW oregon
Good to hear. That was my hope with my Oregon/Washington snow that I'll be riding that since its so much thicker and heavier on average that the 120 will be the best option.

H
Nov 29, 2014
CT
www.huntersskidoo.com
I have both a 120X2.5 and a 137X2.5 had the 2 inch version of each also,, and I find my self going place on the 137 that the 120 cant, I ride the snowies and madres so may be the kind if snow but?? just sayin!!!!

I second this, I have ridden 120 and 137 TS (with Convex track), 137 Yeti and Mototrax back-to-back. In my experience, the TS track works noticeably better than all others, size for size. There is a noticeable difference in traction when getting on any kit that doesn't have the TS 2.5" track. I ride a 137 TS and have seen it go where the others cant, or have to use different lines and more effort. Theres not much that will stop it.

It looks like the 120 length is most popular if u want ur bike to be manoeuvrable. I spoke w Moto trax as that's the kit I like most and they said the shorter 2" lug is the way to go even w a turbo. I plan on having about 90 hp if I get a track kit. I live in se bc so we get pretty good snow. I've only thrown a leg over a 120 timbers led but wo much experience it's really hard to know what I need. On my sled I really love the 3" track. It's also an 800 turbo at 10 psi. I have a slightly damaged track that's 3" lug that I was thinkin about cutting and have it shortened which I was quoted $900 to do. Will the 120 length still get me around on deep days? Also the other thing I was thinkin is if the long tracks don't handle too bad I could get a 146 track very cheap. Bike is a 15 te300 which I would turbo. Or should I just wait for skidoo to come out w a one ski machine. I can't see it being that far away

Having had several different tracks ranging from 1.75" to 2.5" - there is no way that I would say the 2" is the way to go but I also didn't care for the mototrax kit and I don't ride my kit in the dirt like they do. The timbersled 2.5" convex track is by far the best track I've ridden on a snowbike.

I would not hesitate trying out a 3" if you can clear it, but $900 is pretty steep to modify an old track.

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
It baffles me that the mototrax only has a 2" paddle. They said they tested it though and it worked better on their kit than the 2.5". Must be something with their geometry or suspension? Seems obvious to me that bigger paddles are the way to go. I would gladly throw down 8-900 hundred bucks for a 3.2 inch track for my 137" TS. It needs to be stiff like the timbersled though because unfortunately it's not always waist deep blower (even here in utah)!
I would love to be on a shorter tracked kit but i'm just not willing to give up the performance in the deep. I've had buddies have to go miles around because there 120's won't make some lines i can with my 137. I might have had a few more hp than they did but i think track length makes more of a difference in deep light conditions.

Just clarifying: I want a factory (or aftermarket) 3 or 3.2" track. I don't want to have to modify.

Last edited:

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
It baffles me that the mototrax only has a 2" paddle. They said they tested it though and it worked better on their kit than the 2.5". Must be something with their geometry or suspension? Seems obvious to me that bigger paddles are the way to go. I would gladly throw down 8-900 hundred bucks for a 3.2 inch track for my 137" TS. It needs to be stiff like the timbersled though because unfortunately it's not always waist deep blower (even here in utah)!
I would love to be on a shorter tracked kit but i'm just not willing to give up the performance in the deep. I've had buddies have to go miles around because there 120's won't make some lines i can with my 137. I might have had a few more hp than they did but i think track length makes more of a difference in deep light conditions.

Just clarifying: I want a factory (or aftermarket) 3 or 3.2" track. I don't want to have to modify.
anyone have pics of the new maxtrak vs the old model?

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..

I think snowbikes need a true deep lug track.
After seeing how much better a sled does at lower track speeds with the big lugs it seems this would especially help the hp deficiency of the snowbikes.

S

simbatheking

Feb 5, 2010
invermere bc
Thanks for the help guys. I'm 6' and 200 lbs. good shape and aggressive sledder not just a straight chute guy. The reason I like the Moto trax is the skid looks like the front and back can move up and down indepentantly like an uncoupled skid vs ts and yeti which have coupled suspensions

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Thanks for the help guys. I'm 6' and 200 lbs. good shape and aggressive sledder not just a straight chute guy. The reason I like the Moto trax is the skid looks like the front and back can move up and down indepentantly like an uncoupled skid vs ts and yeti which have coupled suspensions
which is fun for 50-60hp bikes, start pushing 90 and you may have issues, I know a 120 TS setup in spring snow can be looped out pretty easy, especially with a 20hp shot of n20, so something to think about, being able to fine tune ski lift isn't the worst idea when you start building outside of the kits original design.

lundracing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 14, 2011
Rolla, ND
My 120 st kit was great most snow conditions and while I was new to the sport. As I have become more adventurous I like to get up step in the tight trees and fresh snow and with my weight I think the LT will suit me much better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

R

Rush44

Nov 26, 2007
Flathead Valley, MT
Let's put it this way.... I don't think you could convince a single person who had the 2016 2.5 TS track to go back to the 2 inch of 2015. The new track was better everywhere IMO.

S
Feb 15, 2015
CO, western slope
I really enjoyed my 2.5" sx120. Performed really well, plus I had plenty of power to get a lot of track speed. There were days I would have liked even more track. But I'm going to try to cut back weight instead. Just wish I could run with less fuel, take the extra tank off and instant huge improvements in the deep powder. I can't complain though, bike went everywhere in the deep stuff, but probably could be optimized to go even faster.

J&L Snowhawk

Lifetime Membership
Jan 3, 2008
Aberdeen, SD
stores.ebay.com
2"

I had asked moto trax repeatedly to offer a straight cut 2.5 because I know from experience on my hawk the difference from 2" to 2.5 was huge. I know they told me there test w 2.5 but they were all taper lugs not straight cut which is what they need for there skid. I have found a offering of a 2.3 on a track sight in 137 so might have to try one for the snow-rocket!

SteepNdeep450

Lifetime Membership
Jan 1, 2014
Bozeman, MT
At the Yellowstone Expo I had spoke to the guys at MotoTrax doing the demo ride about tracks after riding them and I got the feeling that the reason they went back to that Challenger 2" track is because of the stiffness of the paddles. Then obviously with the way their skid is designed there's no reason for a tapered track. I thought the same thing as some of you though, that they should offer a straight 2.5" track. Obviously they were just using what was available on the market at the time.

P

portgrinder

Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
its real simple:

Young guy = short track

Old man = long track

Short tracks are more fun, manouverable, much easier to keep a peaky motor in its power curve. Long tracks are for doing it the easy way. Sit down, gear it low, tractor around wherever you want

Premium Features