• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

TPS re-calibration?

T
Dec 7, 2012
Hi I am ordering a used TPS off ebay for my 2008 800 dragon rmk. I know how to set and test it and all, but I have heard that I need the dealer to re-calibrate the new one because it has become "un-calibrated" since it was taken off the other sled. Is this true, or can I just install and set as if it was always on my sled? Thanks in advance.

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
Hi I am ordering a used TPS off ebay for my 2008 800 dragon rmk. I know how to set and test it and all, but I have heard that I need the dealer to re-calibrate the new one because it has become "un-calibrated" since it was taken off the other sled. Is this true, or can I just install and set as if it was always on my sled? Thanks in advance.

Once you loosen the "hold down" screws on the T.P.S. (even without changing it) and the T.P.S. moves a little, it HAS to be-reset.

Info is in the INCREASING YOUR IQ, pinned at the top

How-to Video is in the FUSION 900 section

T
Dec 7, 2012
Yeah I was aware of that but I was wondering if there was another some other process besides just setting it that had to be done when the sensor is removed all together. I'll look there. Thanks for the help

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
Yeah I was aware of that but I was wondering if there was another some other process besides just setting it that had to be done when the sensor is removed all together. I'll look there. Thanks for the help

No other process

BTW, my dealer replaced the T.P.S. on my 2013 PRO-R 800

INSISTED that "it checked out fine" (at idle speed, without fully closing the throttle blades ) on the digital wrench.

I had to argue with the mechanic and get him to walk it through the ENTIRE CORRECT process, meaning FULLY CLOSING the throttle blades, then setting it to spec, then opening the throttle blades, which took all of 10 - 15 minutes.

And yes, it was off...............................

Friggin' dealers

T
Dec 7, 2012
Thanks man. Yeah I have lost pretty much all hope in most dealers. There is a dealer a long ways away where I got my fix kit from who I call. I can't trust what my local dealer tells me.

PaulAnd

Premium Member
Oct 17, 2010
Northern IL.
If you have the tps setting tool you can do it yourself. Btw did your voltage regulator fail before the tps went bad? 3 voltage regulators 3 tps so far on mine in 1800 miles

E

EricW

Nov 26, 2007
NE Washington
I think what BC is asking is does the TPS sending unit itself need to be recaalibrated on a stand alone basis if it has been removed from one sled and installed on another. Kinda like how you get your ECU reflashed depending on its date of manufacture or if its running a boosted sled or N A.

I had heard the same talk but I don't believe it is true. It is just a sending unit that uses voltage to send a position indicator signal. I have swapped TPS's from sled to sled many times just to diagnose and never had a problem.

It hope I read your question correctly. If not just call for the attendant to wheel me back inside, it's almost time for Judge Judy and dinner anyway. Lol. EW

T
Dec 7, 2012
I think what BC is asking is does the TPS sending unit itself need to be recaalibrated on a stand alone basis if it has been removed from one sled and installed on another. Kinda like how you get your ECU reflashed depending on its date of manufacture or if its running a boosted sled or N A.

I had heard the same talk but I don't believe it is true. It is just a sending unit that uses voltage to send a position indicator signal. I have swapped TPS's from sled to sled many times just to diagnose and never had a problem.

It hope I read your question correctly. If not just call for the attendant to wheel me back inside, it's almost time for Judge Judy and dinner anyway. Lol. EW

Thank you that is exactly what I mean.

T
Dec 7, 2012
Alright, I just got the tps in the mail and I am running some tests with an ohm meter and I keep getting an "OL" reading in one spot, just like my other one. Pretty pissed off at the moment.

E

EricW

Nov 26, 2007
NE Washington
Are you putting a clean 5.0 volts to it through the red wire and testing by the yellow wire with the black wire being the common ground for both power supply and multi meter? You can check the volts on your supply battery just to male sure your meter is set correct. Might also check that the supply wire from your regulator is 5.0 going in. EW

T
Dec 7, 2012
Thanks I finaly got a battery for a brand new multi meter I have, and the new tps looks fine now. The only question now is, is the old one actually bad, and if not, what is the problem? I'll run some tests today and see what I find.

E

EricW

Nov 26, 2007
NE Washington
Best way to test the old one is to attach it to the throttle bodies and hook up your tester/power supply. This time use you old analog/needle type tester. As you rotate the TB's from idle to WOT you should see the needle indicating a rise in voltage as well. As you open and close the TB the needle should swing smoothly from rest to peak voltage and back. If it shows a hang point or a flat spot in the needles range of motion you have a bad spot in the TPS. He that makes sense. EW

T
Dec 7, 2012
Thank you. I don't have an analog meter, so I just go real slow and count up the numbers. I just usually test it on the Ohm setting. I hope the old one is bad lol.

B

Boondocker82

Sep 10, 2010
Onalaska, WI
Alright, I just got the tps in the mail and I am running some tests with an ohm meter and I keep getting an "OL" reading in one spot, just like my other one. Pretty pissed off at the moment.

Sorry I haven't responded, I haven't been on here in a while. Mine did the same thing. If I remember correctly it was around 3/4 throttle. The ohm meter would show OL for a split second. It seemed like it only did it opening the throttle and not closing it but that could have been due to the fact that my movement was smoother opening the throttle than closing it.

T
Dec 7, 2012
Yeah exactly how mine was, flashing OL when it hit 20 ohms. It ended up being a bad ohm meter (new one shows both tps's are good). Looks like my DET problem at 3/4 throttle should be solved by re-flashing to the '08 flash, hopefully. Thanks for the response.

Premium Features