• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

TPS Question

S

SU27

May 4, 2013
Edmonton
It definitely could be mechanical, but just odd that it showed up after the tps was set. One thing I do recall is when he was setting the tps it wouldn't always go back to the proper idle voltage after he worked the throttle. He'd have to give it an extra blip or let come back really slow for it to read exactly the same. So it could be as simple as something catching and holding the throttle open a tiny bit. Just was weird how consistly it did it.
There is a spring between throttle plates. It returns plates back to idle position. As was described before, there is oil adjustment screw in there too. All this construction is made of soft metal, and easy to bend or twist. I would recommend removing throttle body for inspection and adjustment.

Allterrain

Lifetime Membership
Feb 25, 2010
I was just in the shop here and was working the throttle open and closed with the air box off of the sled. What I found was that when I let off the throttle, the throttle plate closes completely, but the oil linkage will hang up about half way open, then slowly return back to the idle position. Could the extra oil be enough to make it idle high for a few seconds?

S

SU27

May 4, 2013
Edmonton
I was just in the shop here and was working the throttle open and closed with the air box off of the sled. What I found was that when I let off the throttle, the throttle plate closes completely, but the oil linkage will hang up about half way open, then slowly return back to the idle position. Could the extra oil be enough to make it idle high for a few seconds?

How do you check plates are closed? have you removed airbox? or just checking by throttle cable returning back to its position? the difference of angle of throttle plates between 1700 RPM and 2300 RPM is SO SMALL, that you cannot see it - you need to measure it. I would use TPS tester with analog voltmeter checking throttle plates on the way back to idle position. It must be stop or significant slow down jsut before hitting idle position.

Allterrain

Lifetime Membership
Feb 25, 2010

As I stated in my last post, I had the air box removed. I did check the throttle bodies a little closer and found a bit of an oily carbon residue inside them. I cleaned it off with a rag and some carb cleaner, so have to see if that helps any.

Premium Features