• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Towing a cargo/gear sleigh...... what G-4 bumper hitch are you using?

S
Mar 6, 2008
Northern Sweden
I'm not contesting or competing =)

But since people are breaking these stock bumpers just wheeling I would not hook any load to it.
...and the engineer in me thought I'd add the comment on the angle of the bumper and it's impact on the mounting points.

R
Nov 16, 2016
So to clarify, if you haven’t used a stock G4 bumper with a trick toys adapter .................
Correct!
I have not used the Tricked-Toys hitch as is, nor will I because it does not fit the profile of the G-4 bumper. As is, it will be prone to slipping and possibly damaging the profile.

That is why I had the new aluminum blocks made. They fit the profile very well.

I'm not contesting or competing =)

But since people are breaking these stock bumpers just wheeling I would not hook any load to it.
...and the engineer in me thought I'd add the comment on the angle of the bumper and it's impact on the mounting points.
You make a great point re; the angle and it's impact on the mounting points.
The engineer in me (regarding the fact that the G-4 bumper tilts up at the rear) says that this not conducive to good geometry.

I'll say it again..... I'm banking on my tow bar's spring cushioning system to help in this area.

Also, those of us in our group who will be towing a sleigh into a cabin via a G-4 sled, will be very careful.

Ox

Snowest's Axe Murderer
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
NW Ohio
www.midwestproductionmachining.com
MountainTrashCat said:
So to clarify, if you haven’t used a stock G4 bumper with a trick toys adapter .................

Correct!

Yeah, well I paid my doos and am allowed to post anywhere, so ....

If I was to plan to pull a drag behind my 165 G4, I would likely want to rig up a hitch about the same as your hitch to the sleigh (2 points) and mount it up on or near the rear - rear suspension mount.

These tunnels are just too thin to put too much stress to if you don't need to.

So - it would just be a 2 to 1, then your swivel and springs, then a 1 to 2 on the other end.

I'd feel more better about that ....

R
Nov 16, 2016
I realize that some of you guys don't have much interest in this, and I understand that.

However, for those who may be interested..... here are few images of the Tricked-Toys hitch with my new aluminum blocks mounted.
This is them attached to my G-4 bumper.

Notice how well they fit and hold against the G-4 profile.
They nicely encompass 4 of the 5 sides of the G-4 profile.

If you were to scroll back to post #2, you can see that the original TT blocks will not adequately fit the G-4 profile.

Anyway, I plan to have a few more of these made via CNC, which will lower the cost substantially.

G-4 aluminum blocks 1.jpg G-4 aluminum blocks 2 .jpg G-4 aluminum blocks 3 .jpg

Last edited:

Trashy

⚙️
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2003
Sherwood Park, Ab, Canada
If you read your thread title: “Towing a cargo/gear sleigh...... what G-4 bumper hitch are you using?”
That likely explains most of the replies you have gotten.

You might do better with an ad in the swap meet section titled “Any interest in buying Tricked Toys hitch adaptors for a G4 bumper” since it has become quite obvious that it is what you’re after. Just a thought..... ?

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
bought one of those plastic cargo sleds from cabelas and a length of rope to tow it with from dutchman flats snopark to the perfectly mediocre Elk Lake resort (10 miles?) and it worked like a charm. there's just not much resistance offered by the sled on a groomed trail so my stock g4 bumper was fine. did it track straight? no, but it didnt matter as it only went out to the side a small bit. perfect solution for that particular trip.

Last edited:

Ox

Snowest's Axe Murderer
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
NW Ohio
www.midwestproductionmachining.com
While trying to drag my boys sled out of the bush last year after the clutch grenaded, my bumper is now in 3 pcs.

I was glad to learn via this thread that there is a heavier version that I can buy - so that I don't have to break down and make my own one day.

R
Nov 16, 2016
If you read your thread title: “Towing a cargo/gear sleigh...... what G-4 bumper hitch are you using?”
That likely explains most of the replies you have gotten.

You might do better with an ad in the swap meet section titled “Any interest in buying Tricked Toys hitch adaptors for a G4 bumper” since it has become quite obvious that it is what you’re after. Just a thought..... ?
MTC, thanks for the suggestion. While I did mention; "If any of you are interested, PM me" in post #5, at this time I have no plans to sell the newly designed blocks for profit. (I have many other irons in the fire)

I have shared the info with Rob @ Tricked-Toys. If they have any interested, I'll put them in direct touch with Mike, my machinist friend.

bought one of those plastic cargo sleds from cabelas and a length of rope to tow it with from dutchman flats snopark to the perfectly mediocre Elk Lake resort (10 miles?) ..........
You must be near Central Oregon. We frequent Mt Bachelor and Paulina Lake.

To sum up, apparently no one here uses the Tricked-Toys hitch.

Last edited:

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
i'm in the people's republik of portland. our usual riding area is mt adams and mt st helens and i rode bachelor once last year and would like to go back at some point as the snow was less than ideal on the one day i was there. a couple feet of snow are on the way next week though.
i needed a sled for a trip to elk lake but didn't want to spend a bunch on something i'd only use once a year maybe so the plastic sled worked great plus it's so light, it's easy to store on the garage ceiling racks.

R
Nov 16, 2016
i'm in the people's republik of portland. our usual riding area is mt adams and mt st helens and i rode bachelor once last year and would like to go back at some point as the snow was less than ideal on the one day i was there. a couple feet of snow are on the way next week though.
i needed a sled for a trip to elk lake but didn't want to spend a bunch on something i'd only use once a year maybe so the plastic sled worked great plus it's so light, it's easy to store on the garage ceiling racks.
Yeah, Portland right now is crazy, especially with who we have in charge.
I'm east in Gresham, and I do my best to avoid going into Portland.

Mt Adams is great. St Helens is great if you catch the weather just right.

If you go to Mt Bachelor, I'd suggest a middle of the week trip. Otherwise, there are too many people out there and the trails get thrashed.

Even though towing a sleigh in 10 miles is not so much fun, Elk Lake can be a great trip.
(may I assume that you meant "sleigh" or "cargo sleigh"?)

We leave for Diamond Lake in the middle of February.

I agree...... the plastic tub style sleigh would be easy to store. Although I can tip it up on it's side, mine is not quite as easy to store.

Trashy

⚙️
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2003
Sherwood Park, Ab, Canada
Transporting the plastic sleigh would be another consideration, they take almost zero space in the trailer or back of the truck since they sit flat on the floor and you can fill it with items that you are hauling.

I have seen a couple “suspended” sleighs with 4 skis under them that were impressively built but they were owned by the lodges so transportation wouldn’t have been a concern.

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
we've always called these things sleds and used to use them quite a bit in the marsh/rice field in my goose hunting days. this is the one i bought, the "jet sled jr." i tend to think of sleighs as things with runners.
yeah, portland is crazy but the people here have made their bed by the people they elect so now they have to sleep in it.
i know what you mean about bachelor, it was busy on my trip and the trails were whooped out from the get-go.
elk lake was fun enough and being able to sled in and out from your cabin was great but we were frustrated with the price of the cabin which overall was nice but one bathroom right next to the kitchen for three couples isn't the best layout. also the fact that they don't shovel the snow off the decks of the cabins is ridiculous. the snow and ice was 4 feet thick and blocked the view of the lake plus we couldn't pull the grill or chairs on to the deck either. we were really surprised to see that.

669912_ts.jpg

M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador
The tricked toys hitch looks atrocious. I mounted a yamaha hitch on my stock bumper and it worked great until i backed into a tree.
Yamaha Hitch

Just put a piece of steel or aluminum behind it to brace it up.

I bring everything in my pelican sleigh, propane, a weeks worth of groceries, electronics.. If it survives the trip has everything to do with driving to trail conditions, and how well it was packed. I'd put anything in that sleigh. We have some big heavy moving blankets that work really well, and some floor foam from when the kids were smaller..

LYNX overseas used to make a sleigh similar to what you want.. might want to try there.

either way, best of luck.

Premium Features