• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

"Totally Non-Biased Comparison Video"

Killer Time Racing

Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2008
Lower Michigan
I also enjoyed Ryan's pictures... If they were unbiased as the rest of the test was and were all in the same conditions!

The video says Skidoos X model ???

Why does the snow on the Pro have dirt embedded in it even way up on the seat??

The Yamaha has more snow on it at that time than when you weighed it ??

Apple's to apple's right?? Take the electric start off all three and install air shocks and reweigh!!! Cuz that was the big differences that mattered in his email!! Make sure you ride them all so as to get the same snow buildup again !! Or it would be a biased comparison!!!

Not that you were roosting it to add weight !!!!!! But I have never had rocks find their way up on my seat or tunnel .. maybe take that lead weight off the tunnel with its quick disconnect that is protruding out of the left hand side !!!!

In Ryan's photos the Fifth pic shows snow thrown under the Pro and the others are parked in a hole or packed area ?? Sure looks staged!!

Last edited:

Killer Time Racing

Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2008
Lower Michigan
SNOW TO LIQUID EQUIVALENT

METEOROLOGIST JEFF HABY

The snow to liquid equivalent is the amount of liquid precipitation that is produced after melting snow. The temperature profile of the troposphere and the surface temperature are important factors that determine this value. The "average" snow to liquid ratio is 10:1. This is saying that if 10 inches of snow fell and that snow was melted it would produce 1 inch of liquid precipitation in the rain gauge.

Correct me if i'm wrong the Polaris gained 124 lbs so that is 14.8 gallons of water in the form of snow at a ratio of 10-1 that would be 148 gallons of snow. Am I missing something?

Just the weight attached to the tunnel!!!

JUDGED

Lifetime Membership
Jan 5, 2015
www.judgedgear.com
I bought two 2014 Pro's for $9200.00 ea. last October. I also bought one SE Viper and had Outlaw Motorsports install a MCX 270hp kit with some other aftermarket parts. Total price $23000.00. All three are great sleds. My main sled is the Viper and the two Pro's are loners. I would have bought a Ski Doo but at the time they cost more then the Pro's and because they were loners I didn't want to spend the extra money. These sleds are paid off, which I don't understand why someone takes out a lone to buy a toy. Dumb people make stupid decisions. That's one reason sleds cost what they cost, because people can get loans to buy them. Same thing with medical insurance raising medical costs.

The video seems very biased to me like most posts I see on this forum. Like chris said it's good to have the 4 different manufactures to choice from. If you start eliminating your options than the price will go up even more. Then all the dumb people can get bigger loans for their toys. Please people don't be so stupid. I'm tired of supporting your food stamps and housing and everything else the government like to give away.

The Pro is a great sled. I can say the same for Cat, Doo and Yamaha. Don't write off one just because one issue, They all have issues. I would like Yamaha to put their engine in a Pro and then read all the comment on the poo forum site. I would turbo one for myself but I'm sure I would have to re-enforce the sled so it could handle the power. It would be like a tin can.

Tin cans are amazingly strong for the material used. Who wants a tin can that is heavy and hard to pick up?

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
There is the possibility that North Korea was involved with this video too. We should be careful.

They are known to use staged scenarios, propoganda and social media to try "divide and conquer" methods in a war.
Maybe North Korea intends to conquer the mountain sleddin' world. Maybe they have an ICBM Skud 960 ready to go as soon as we finish trashing ourselves.

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Kim-Jong-Un?? I laugh my @ss off every time I hear that name...Un

LMAO....he's secretly in bed with Yamaha because he pi$$ed at the Chinese these days.

As for the video....any relatively smart person can see through it a mile away.

B
Mar 8, 2011
The Cat - Yamaha, whatever you want to call it appears to be accumulating snow here. Did Cat make it to the weigh in?:juggle:

hqdefault.jpg Broken Cats.jpg

S

sledneck_03

Jan 3, 2009
Saskatoon, SK
Go to the ski-doo section..... Pro vs xm
Go to the cat section.....cat vs pro
Now this bs yamaha video more so with its sights on the pro than the doo for the weight comparison.

Guess who is generally the best?

The most hated by others.
The most compared to by others.

No one compares doo to cat, they aim for the best.... The pro rmk. Best all around mountain sled...... Done deal.

S
Jun 9, 2011
Idaho Falls
No one compares doo to cat, they aim for the best.... The pro rmk. Best all around mountain sled...... Done They do l.[/QUOTE]

Great STOCK sled. They are one of the best selling too and have done a good job making them the lightest. They do need to work on the power and reliability. I would say they are the number one sled overall price, weight and handling, but not reliability. I'm sure it won't be long before one of the others is back on top. It changes. I still like a ski doo over the polaris for stock sleds.

A
Nov 27, 2007
Alaska
OMG this again?! So why is it that a heavy *** Yamaha that feels heavy in the showroom feels even heavier when stuck? My Polaris RMK is easy to lift in the shop when dry and not that hard to lift when stuck. The same can't be said about the Yamapig. These "comparisons" are total BS. If they were true, no one would ever complain about how heavy Yamaha's are. Pretty bad when you never want to ride a Yamaha 4-stroke alone because it is too heavy to lift when packed full of snow without help from a buddy. Add to that, my buddy's 2-stroke Cat 800's are definitely not noticeably lighter than my RMK when stuck. These videos are pure marketing horse****.

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
Does this mean you can ride a Pro like a Pro in the mountain deep snow and not ever move your feet around? Burandt must be doing something wrong because it is obvious by the pics that the folks that rode the pro for the weight test never moved the feet on those board's. It is hilarious they posted that. At least we know they have a sense of humor.

S
Jun 9, 2011
Idaho Falls
dd to that, my buddy's 2-stroke Cat 800's are definitely not noticeably lighter than my RMK when stuck. These videos are pure marketing horse****.[/QUOTE]

I ride a Viper and when I watch this for the first time I called BS. They are heavier no doubt. What I like about my viper is the HP. It's feels awesome. The track speed is unbeatable. When I get stuck or at least think I'm stuck, I give the sled a wingle and throttle out. It works great. If I can't do this I roll the sled, which doesn't take much effort. It would be nice if the sled was lighter but then I would have to give up power and reliability, and until they engineer something better I'll live with it. I look forward to the near future for snowmobiling.

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
dd to that, my buddy's 2-stroke Cat 800's are definitely not noticeably lighter than my RMK when stuck. These videos are pure marketing horse****.

I ride a Viper and when I watch this for the first time I called BS. They are heavier no doubt. What I like about my viper is the HP. It's feels awesome. The track speed is unbeatable. When I get stuck or at least think I'm stuck, I give the sled a wingle and throttle out. It works great. If I can't do this I roll the sled, which doesn't take much effort. It would be nice if the sled was lighter but then I would have to give up power and reliability, and until they engineer something better I'll live with it. I look forward to the near future for snowmobiling.[/QUOTE]
You cant be talking a stock na viper. There are still lots of us that ride a stock engine.

NDRMK

Premium Member
Mar 3, 2008
North Dakota
two things: Weigh my sled last and I will melt the most snow off before getting weighed in also!!
2nd: The only way to have that small amount of snow stick to rubber on a track= silicone spray the night before. Works well and last for awhile! Work great on metal too! :face-icon-small-hap
Why can't it snow in N.D./MN. or Yellowstone for that matter!:face-icon-small-fro

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
First of all... I think that Yami has gone a long way to making their sleds lighter... and more user friendly... I'm a smaller rider.. and still prefer the PRO...

Here's some of my previous posts on this topic.

Some food for thought.

It's not just the power-to-weight ratio of the sled.

It is how that weight works with the power.

I've been out on the mountain with Troy Johnson of LCC and watched him do some insane things on his Turbo Apex.... and on a T-Nytro... all in light/deep Wyo Pow.

I'm much less of an accomplished rider than him and smaller to boot.

I've been blessed to be able to ride some really light T-Nytros with all the goodies on them. Definitely an addictive thing, all that power coming on in an "evil" way
as the sled simply makes great power and will flat-out climb anything.

On the day I was on a 190 hp MCX Turbo Nitro , courtesy of a good friend, nice fresh pow blue-bird day in the low 20's... I had a blast.

Some of the things that I did notice about the sled from my perspective of a lighter/shorter rider.

The sled was harder for me to adjust to terrain when on the throttle compared to a 2S sled.. IMO, due to the higher gyroscopic effects of more rotating
weight of the 3 cyl engine.

I needed to be on the throttle more to stay on top of the snow. This with having to put more "body english" into the sled, to get it to move where I wanted it to,
left me more tired at the end of the day compared to my 2S sled... Good for the sleep, bad for my old body the next day.

When I was stuck... I was really stuck and could feel that extra weight of the sled, I needed help more than I normally would...Good thing I wrench on my friends
sleds to make up for the extra effort and camaraderie they show me on the hill.

Will this be different on the Viper... I'd say confidently... to a certain degree as this is a more refined chassis... but with a very similar power plant and rotating mass.

I've watched the Yamaha promo video that Ryan sat in on... and they make a convincing point about the accumulated snow on the sled... But when buried,
they all seem to have the same amount (FULL) of snow in the buried skid and all over the sled. When moving...well a diff story. IMO, the sled hanging
from the tree only shows part of the story for accumulation... But boy does the Poo hold some snow, I give you that.

I agree that we are coming to a day where the 4S sleds will be the norm... and as these sleds move in that direction for all, we'll see lighter sleds with
some amazing power plants... Heck...just look at how fast the 4S thumpers took over the MX world...I think we'll see that in the 4S sleds soon.

All this said... plenty of my friends have ordered new Vipers... only one of them with NO turbo. So it will be great to ride the latest evolution of the 4S Mtn. Sled !!

pow Pow PoW POW....Wheres that sweet pow??

For me, being a lighter rider... yanking around a heavier sled with more HP tires me out earlier than a lighter sled.

Even if you can ride the heavier more powerful sled in the same places as the lighter less powerful sled...
you are doing it at a faster speed, using more body energy...and sometimes I just don't have enough weight,
courage or "lead in my pencil" to do that. More advanced, larger riders would not feel this as much as me.

For reliability... I look at a sled as a piece of "race equipment"... my sleds get regular maintenance and they get a new
top end when the hours require it. For me it's the cost of ownership... and I do it in the off season between winters and
I've had very good luck with this method... and the cost/time justify me in knowing that I have something that I can rely on.
The cost to me over the life of the sled is still less than the cost of an OEM turbo add-on.

If you are looking for Toyota-reliability... then absolutely, the Yamaha will outshine any 2s sled.

And again... I LIKE the new Yami and feel 4S engines are the way of the future...
although there are some interesting new 2s clean designs being worked on.

All this being said, I DO realize that I'm posting in the Yamaha section... And I have respect admiration for my Yamaha Brethren!

Ride what ya got and have fun!

Premium Features