• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

To lift, or not to lift....help me decide

P
Nov 27, 2007
Minnesota
I have been kicking around the idea of lifting up my truck. Let me know pros and cons involved with this. Thinking of suspension lift not body lift.

2003 Chevy 2500HD Crewcab Duramax 4x4

In the summer I pull a Skidsteer around a couple times a month. Take the truck hunting in the fall pulling a 25" tandem axle camper. Winter take about 2-4 trips out to Montana from Minnesota to go snowmobiling usually a 2 place open or a 4 place open. Otherwise it either sits or is driven more for a car than anything.

2003 Chevy 2500HD Crewcab Duramax 4x4
would need to fit LT325/50R20 tires

So, here are my questions
Should I lift?
Why should I lift?
Why Shouldn't I lift?
What/who's lift should I go with?
What's so great about thier's compared to __________?

packer

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
This is going to make me sound old....Trust me, I have lifted more than my fair share of trucks, so I am not anti-lift. But, the way you describe you truck usage, there is only 1 valid reason for the lift.....LOOKS. Nothing wrong with that. But that is the only reason you are lifting it. If you sit down and add up the cost of the lift kit and the cost of new wheels,tires ect....You can about buy yourslef a new sled! Your truck is going to cost more to maintian with the larger tires. They will eat front end parts much faster. Gas milage will suffer, and ride quality will not be as good. I would leave the trailer puller alone and put the money toward a new toy on the trailer instead. Sure, I love the look of a nice lifted truck, just hard to justify it anymore.

B
Oct 26, 2003
Not to be a downer but I wouldn't do it. If I were to do anything, I would put a leveling kit on the front end. Nothing more.

Fearless Catman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
The Sheyenne River Valley of ND
I agree with ultrarider. I like the look of lifted trucks and all but it serves me no purpose if I cant tow several gooseneck trailers around. I have the same truck you have and instead of lifting it, I just swapped rims, one size bigger tires, added functionality items while still looking pretty sharp without lifting it. I will never have a lift on my trucks in the future just because I tow so many different trailers be it bumper pull or gooseneck type. Good luck!

R
Nov 18, 2008
Portland OR
x5 wouldnt do it unless you have alot of money set aside for ball joints wheel barings shocks, I have a crew cab f350 with fabtech 8.5 lift with 38x15.5x20 I as well tow alot skidder, trackhoe, dump trailer, every other month im replacing something over and over year after year. Its just too much towing with that big of lift, fabtech is the way to go as far as durability, maybe just a smaller lift or leveling kit, but I know they dont look as good. Either way good luck, just my 2cents..... lift it anyways!! they look better, just plan on doing some wrenchin. Still x5 dont but x2 do it anyways 6'' on 35's no bigger and you will be ok:D

M

masneri

Feb 10, 2008
anchorage
I dissagree, leveling kits are gay!!! Everytime I tow somthing with a little weight to it my truck looks all mexi ridered out with the front higher than the rear. I recently found a barely used CST 14'' lift and 40'' mud terrains for my truck I have been contiplating buying. I would lift it!!!!

A
Nov 26, 2007
Heyburn Idaho
x6
they look great but harder to get into less diesel mileage (I lost 4 mpg on my power stroke) chains get real expensive too :( But I haven't went back to stock. If or when i get another one it wont be lifted.

D

Double L

Nov 26, 2007
The PC
X2 on going with Fabtech and not going any bigger than a 6" lift with 35's. This is the set up I run, 6" with 35's on 18's, and works pretty good. Although I should have never done this to a half ton. Sounds like you got a pretty good truck as a platform and if you have the disposable income to do, I say go for it. My front end lasted 45,000 miles before it needed any work, I thought that was pretty good for a lifted truck. I did shoot a gear threw my rear diff cover at 20,000 miles, but that just gave me the excuse to put a set of 4.56's in it which helped out tremendously. This is probably the last lifted truck that I'll own just becuase I can't justify the cost for looks anymore. Good luck

O
Jan 14, 2008
MN
I've had a couple of lifted truck. They looked badasss.. Although now I own a normal truck. Just stoppped making since to me to jump out or in. It was work just gettin into the box.. sucks loading. from what you say you use your truck for, I think it would be dumb to lift it.

i lifted my 02 powerstroke 6" and lost about 5 mpg. it is a little more rough riding but it looks awesome. :cool: That being said i intend to lift my next truck also(when i go back to work anyway so i can actually afford a new one)

griffin86

Lifetime Membership
Dec 29, 2008
Do you have money to burn is the real question. Your resale goes down too. Also that wide of tires is going to be a PITA! It will look cool though.

P

ProKlim

Dec 10, 2007
North Dakota
If it were me, I would put a cognito leveling kit up front and then get a set of airbags in the back so when you pull your trailers it will still sit level and ride good to. Just my opinion though.
Have fun
Trent

C
Nov 26, 2007
Kootenays!
I dont think i would consider a leveling kit for a Chevy, it tends to just put more strain on already subpar (dont take offence) front end parts. Your better off with a small lift, that drops the mounting points for the control arms, and crap, rather then putting your geometry out of wack.
That being said, the 79 is lifted, my Superduty is lifted, and i wouldnt have it any other way.

M
Feb 6, 2008
Draper, UT
I dissagree, leveling kits are gay!!! Everytime I tow somthing with a little weight to it my truck looks all mexi ridered out with the front higher than the rear. I recently found a barely used CST 14'' lift and 40'' mud terrains for my truck I have been contiplating buying. I would lift it!!!!

haha nothing looks better than a gigantic IFS lift :rolleyes:

to the op - I would either go with a leveling kit or a 3" lift plus some airbags for the rear.

W
Nov 26, 2007
St. Cloud, MN
I love lifted trucks but you will ruin a 3/4 ton pick-up if you want it for towing. If you want a bigger look maybe just put bigger tires on. I think you can get a 33" tire under it with no lift.

A
Dec 8, 2007
I have a 2500HD 2002 and I would never lift a truck but that's just me. To me a truck is not some show pony that I cruise around the mall with its a tool that hauls the job trailer , camper and sled trailer. I have adjusted the torsion bars and added firestone air bags. This was enough to add a bit bigger tires and I can turn it down when I sell it and the airbags keep the back up with the campers in. My big rub with lift kits are the fact that you have to cut off parts so there is no going back. For the cost of a lift and wheels and tires I would put the money towards a new Corvette .

Premium Features