• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Tips needed for '09 BD RG Dragon

Ricks 32

Premium Member
Aug 26, 2008
Idaho
I spent the afternoon tuning on this sled and I have some questions on setup.
First off, sled started out as an PG kit when new. Upgraded to RG kit last season w/o inner cooler and we ran the sled at 10 to 12 lbs all season on Sunoco 112 and it ran great. This year EBC was added and it's been all over the place. We put new reeds and fuel filter in today. Contacted BD and they recommended to start PSI #'s at 38-48-58.

Tested at 8k feet with 12 inches new snow on packed base and 300 yard uphill pull. With recommended numbers from BD, sled was very boggy and would not pull high boost, temps were low 900's. We broke our tuning into 3 parts, 1st focusing on low boost, then mid, then full. We took the low PSI all the way to 32 before it started to clean out and then we stopped at 28 when the first 1/3 throttle was really good. Temps were low 1100's....

We took the mid boost down 1 step after each run and ended at 40 PSI. Temps were high 1000's to low 1100's.

Full boost went all the way to 47 PSI before it really started to pull a clean run, temps were low 1100's. Plug color was a medium yellow color and we checked piston wash and both pistons where on the darker side of light black (I hope that made sense). We ran 6 to 8 runs at WOT throttle for 200 yards and temps were still low 1100's (1140 pto/1100 mag) but the sled pulled very hard, sounded very clean and crisp and no sound of DET.

We tested for over an hour and then we went to do a little riding before dark. We dropped from 8k feet down to 7k and the sled was stumbling all over. Didn't make sense? I thought the EBC was suppose to compensate for this on the fly. As we dropped down into creek drainage, it was foggy and the sled was idling most of the time. I thought it may have loaded up on fuel, did some full throttle runs and it didn't clean up. I killed sled and let it set for a minute. Started up and attempted full throttle run and the sled ran awesome again. We worked are way from 7k feet back up to 8k feet and then to 9k feet. I had to kill sled and then restart twice to get it to clean up and run like it had when we finished tuning on it.

It really wasn't a problem to kill and restart, but is this normal? Does the EBC only take an altitude adjustment when the sled is started? Also, this only happened when were were riding slow up a creek drainage. When we rode to the truck, it took us 40 minutes and we rode from 8k to 5500 feet and the sled was crisp and clean the whole way (at a much faster pace). I'm wondering if it may load up a bit when we are moving slow or if the EBC needs to recalculate??

Also, do those PSI #'s sound ok? They are much lower than recommended, but I feel we could go lower and still be ok due to the sled is still rich and runs mild temps compared to my TM8.

This Dragon isn't my sled, but I've spent a lot of time on it and want it to run well for my friend. My sled is an OVS RB TM8 and the boondocker setup is new to me.

All replies are appreciated......

thanks,

S

SNOW JW

Nov 26, 2007
Belgrade MT
www.coderedperformance.com
First off what map does it have 09 or 2010 ECU flash?? (It needs 09 flash)

Is the EBC boost based or last years % based program??

EBC only adjust the boost with ALT. If you have this years EBC and you have ATL comp on x1 then it will just add .1 psi of boost for every .1 of atmosphere lost so you are running close the same HP all day. It works perfect but it does not adjust tunning that is done in the BD box and you should never have to adjust it as you ride.

What venting is done to the sled??

Are his throttle body boost good no leaks??

Is his main spring good (not broke)

Just a few questions you can Email me back at snowjw3090@yahoo.com as I am not on here as much as I used to be.

PaulAnd

Premium Member
Oct 17, 2010
Northern IL.
Read a post the other day that said ecm calculates baro/alt. only at start-up. Does that mean a warm-up cycle/restart also? what elevation and temp change would require a restart?

Ricks 32

Premium Member
Aug 26, 2008
Idaho
thanks for the input...

The sled did get the update in 2010. Can we get a new reflash?
The EBC is this years model. It's boost based.
Full vents on side panels and by your knees.
There are no leaks, it's tight.

We've got it running good, it just likes to be stopped and started with elevation change. My friend who owns the Dragon just rode his Pro today in 40 miles of nasty sidehilling and drainages. I lost 8 lbs today :). We'll see if we can get the '09 reflash and then he's selling the Dragon with the turbo. The turbo is sweet, but the chassis on the Pro is so much better and easier to ride that he's sending the Tdragon down the road.

Sled has full Kmod suspension and RG BD kit, he going to try to swap for a 2011 RMK.

First off what map does it have 09 or 2010 ECU flash?? (It needs 09 flash)

Is the EBC boost based or last years % based program??

EBC only adjust the boost with ALT. If you have this years EBC and you have ATL comp on x1 then it will just add .1 psi of boost for every .1 of atmosphere lost so you are running close the same HP all day. It works perfect but it does not adjust tunning that is done in the BD box and you should never have to adjust it as you ride.

What venting is done to the sled??

Are his throttle body boost good no leaks??

Is his main spring good (not broke)

Just a few questions you can Email me back at snowjw3090@yahoo.com as I am not on here as much as I used to be.

ridgeclimber

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Maple Ridge B.C.
turbo tuning

I have the 08 800 dragon BD PG kit. I am not familiar with the EBC. But it still sounds like your PSI #'S still could be a little high. Keep lowering the PSI #'s until the EGT's come up to approx 1275. Turn the boost all the way down. Start with partial throttle for the low psi #, then half throttle for the mid #, then for wide open throttle adjust the hi #. After that is working good, then adjust the boost up and try that. That's what I have done for a couple turboed set ups and it worked good for me.

S

sykosledhead

Nov 26, 2007
Dayton, WY
Can I just say this post rocks.

I am a new owner of a 08 TD8 and I wasn't able to get any info from the past owner so I was looking for some numbers as well. It seemed no one would throw out some numbers. Giant cuddo to Justin, again. From all the post I have read, everyone feels the same, Justin rocks. I have been having the same propblems and was feeling uncomfortable trying to dial the bog out. I want to say thanks to all for the info.

I'll try the same on mine and see what happens. I'm at 9k' and up running 30, 42 and 50. It was getting better but still burps on the top end. I'll work down to around 47.
What 3000 and 5000 numbers are everyone running?

Thanks guys. I feel like things are gettting better.

Can't wait to get things screamin.

syko.

ridgeclimber

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Maple Ridge B.C.
turbo tuning

Can I just say this post rocks.

I am a new owner of a 08 TD8 and I wasn't able to get any info from the past owner so I was looking for some numbers as well. It seemed no one would throw out some numbers. Giant cuddo to Justin, again. From all the post I have read, everyone feels the same, Justin rocks. I have been having the same propblems and was feeling uncomfortable trying to dial the bog out. I want to say thanks to all for the info.

I'll try the same on mine and see what happens. I'm at 9k' and up running 30, 42 and 50. It was getting better but still burps on the top end. I'll work down to around 47.
What 3000 and 5000 numbers are everyone running?

Thanks guys. I feel like things are gettting better.

Can't wait to get things screamin.

syko.

Usually leave your 3000 and 5000 #'s at what was recommended by BD. Mind you I have the 2010 flash and my sled was running rough at idle and hard starting when hot. BD suggested lowering the 3000 # down. My 3000 low # is at -2. It idles good but is still harder to start when hot. I since have been told to get ride of that flash and go back to the 09 flash or there is the newest reflash available that is suppose to work better. The way I fixed the hard starting when hot was I put the electric start on it. I should of done that right off the bat. I ride from 2500 to 9000 ft and my PSI #'s are low 39, mid 47, hi 51. My EGT's are 1275 to 1294 on straight av gas. So far it's been good for the third season.

T

theshadowrider

Jan 27, 2010
The 2010 flash does work ok but if your looking for a performance minded map the 2009 map is the best pick of them all.

I tried running the 2010 map and worked on it for quite a awhile. I got it the best that I could but still had idle issues and hot starting issues. I felt the sled ran good. Finally listened to Justin and put the 2009 map and sled runs significantly better. No matter how good you get the 2010 to work, the 2009 will always work better! Do yourself a favor and put the 2009 map and don't fight the 2010 like I did!

S

sykosledhead

Nov 26, 2007
Dayton, WY
I have one problem.
I just bought the sled and can't get any past info. How can I tell which map it has?
What do you have to do to get the 09 map?

thanks

syko

T

theshadowrider

Jan 27, 2010
I have one problem.
I just bought the sled and can't get any past info. How can I tell which map it has?
What do you have to do to get the 09 map?

thanks

syko

How close is your dealer. You can take it to them and they can hook it up and tell you. I got my dealer to do it no charge, but most charge. You want to take the part number that reference your injector color when you go. The part numbers have been posted here on sw.

T

theshadowrider

Jan 27, 2010
What does it mean when the check eng light is a cont flash, no pattern?

What flash are you running? When is it flashing? Does it always flash even after you shutdown. I am pretty sure it's det sensor going off and it's probably because you are not running the 09 flash, which you want to run.

Premium Features