• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Time for a Top End

eyefish123

Premium Member
Apr 6, 2010
Northern Idaho
My son has a 2012 800 PRO. It has 1848 easy miles on it. If he keeps it I told him he should put in new pistons and rings this summer. Who makes the best replacement kit for the top end?

X

xc6rider

Jan 12, 2009
Iowa
Im in the same boat. Cannot decide what route to go, but heavily considering sticking with stock pistons. Throw new ones in, with a coolant bypass setup and call it good.

Gonna tear it down this summer and hopefully come up with a plan.

wellfed777

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Oregon
stockers or rkt would be my vote
hey isn't Indy dan putting the new style polaris piston in his motors
maybe you could use those ?

eyefish
i did mine at close to the same mileage and it was time the pistons were worn
past tolerance with fresh top end (polaris pistons) it ran way better and would pull 2gs more
weight
good luck

Last edited:
X

xc6rider

Jan 12, 2009
Iowa
New pistons from HO are a possibility as far as i know. Worth it or not, no idea really. So many different options anymore, its almost impossible to choose now.

I plan to measure everything up really good, as far as cylinder and pistons, i know that!

Merlin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 7, 2004
Medicine Hat, AB
At Carl's Cycle we always use the '15 pistons in any of the Pro rebuilds that we have done. They have the proper piston to cylinder clearance needed to avoid piston slap, and do not have the same problems with the piston skirts breaking. Always better to go with OEM whenever possible.

Are you referring to piston skirts breaking or cylinder skirts breaking?

Premium Features