• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Tidbit

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
I had a thought after cleaning my wife’s sink with comet.
I tried comet on a customers clutch instead of running it through the soda blaster today. The secondary was filthy when it arrived.
Here is what it looked like after 15min using hot water, a little comet and a brush. Better than anything else I’ve tried outside of the soda blaster.
IMG_2814.jpeg

carbontj

Premium Member
Aug 21, 2012
indianapolis
I tried comet on a customers clutch instead of running it through the soda blaster today. The secondary was filthy when it arrived.
Here is what it looked like after 15min using hot water, a little comet and a brush. Better than anything else I’ve tried outside of the soda blaster.
View attachment 410512
we do simular, hot water with SD20 cleaner and Challenger(cleaner) together and scrub brush and scotch bright pad...

Murph

Polaris Moderator/ Polaris Ambassador/ Klim Amb.
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
I run mine through the ultrasonic cleaner. I wonder what Comet would do in that setting.

Nice!! I tried mine and it changed the clutch color to a dark pewter gray. Maybe it was the cleaner I used? Simple Green.

I had the same result as Tony. Dark pewter grey when I pulled clutch out.

Murph

Polaris Moderator/ Polaris Ambassador/ Klim Amb.
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
What did you use for a cleaning agent?
It was a while ago…… probably simple green or purple power.

I’m more interested in what you are using in your ultrasonic cleaner. Your results look good.

The dark pewter grey color of my test kept me from wanting to try again.

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
Did you use the powdered Comet with Bleach? I was cruising the aisles of Ace Hardware yesterday and bought this since it was a sum total of $1.79.

IMG_2882.jpg

Last edited:
V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
I have been using this stuff almost religiously. Treat it about the same as Simple Green. Cleans about everything. It would last longer if I diluted it, but I buy it at the Dollar Store so I don't pay as much attention to that part I guess.

LA Totally Awesome.jpg

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Thanks for the comet tip!

The dirt bike circles have found simple green is mildly corrosive to aluminum if left on without rinsing. I can see how it would turn the clutches grey (oxidized) in the heated environment of an ultrasonic cleaner. My dishwasher sort of did the same thing to a set of clutches I ran through it with an aggressive dish soap. Also curious what Volcano was using in his cleaner. My big Hornady ultrasonic cleaner for high speed hole punchers would probably fit a drive clutch 🤔

Premium Features