• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

THIS is what you cross going to the Crater at Baker

Wapow

Premium Member
Dec 4, 2007
Is that shot recent? Seems kinda early for cracks to be open that wide.

Rumor is there are several sleds that have been left in crevasses up there.

SNOBI-WAN-KENOBI

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
North Bend,Washington
Is that shot recent? Seems kinda early for cracks to be open that wide.

Rumor is there are several sleds that have been left in crevasses up there.

NO..But that is what you are actually crossing over when you are up there. The snow drifts pile up inside the crevasse as you can see....you won't know it's there until it's too late! That"s why if you DO go up there..keep the throttle pinned till you reach the top above the uglys..if you stop...you MAY just be sitting on the top of one of these. I've been up there before..and have crossed over 2' wide X 200' long crevasses..with an Abyss depth.
And there are sleds...and their riders that are still up there. RIP

N

newtrout

Oct 1, 2001
Central Washington
Don't forget to take a close look at a map before you ride near the crater. If you ride right up to the crater, you are in Wilderness. You need to stay right/east ~100 yards or so (verify the distance on your own).

I know 100 yards seems nit-picky, but this is how we keep our riding areas open.

SNOBI-WAN-KENOBI

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
North Bend,Washington
Don't forget to take a close look at a map before you ride near the crater. If you ride right up to the crater, you are in Wilderness. You need to stay right/east ~100 yards or so (verify the distance on your own).

I know 100 yards seems nit-picky, but this is how we keep our riding areas open.

Our hike back to the sleds from the Crater!!

564912_132139893583205_731420088_n.jpg

Premium Features