• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Thermostat issue?

F

Flying Dutchman

Dec 14, 2007
Red Deer
I have a 15 RMK 800 and it ALWAYS runs a temp of 123. The last trip out, it "seemed" to take longer to warm up on the initial morning start. After riding for the first while, it was always running around 110 and would not go up to the regular 123. Still ran ok, just the temp gauge was not showing the normal temp. I did notice the the overflow bottle was circulating. This lasted for a good 2 hours. After doing some hard riding in deep snow, lots of throttle, it was hitting the 123. After that time, it stayed at the 123 the rest of the day.
To me it seems the thermostat was maybe stuck open, not letting the temp rise. After the initial couple hours, it behaved like normal. Still runs great, coolant bottle on proper level, etc.
So does this sound like a malfunctioning thermostat.??

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
Does sound like a thermostat that was stuck partially open, but freed itself somehow. What'd really show that would be to go down a long hill on loose snow and see if it got significantly cooler (like 80 or below). If it happens again, I'd pull the thermostat and inspect it; really, as long as it's not sticking closed and overheating it, there's no major risk. Also, it doesn't hurt these motors to run cooler: mine's been upgraded to the Doo remote thermostat and normally runs around 105 all day.

Premium Features