• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Teton county land grab by commissioners

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
I am not sure the BCC has the power to designate wilderness areas. I was under the impression that this required a vote by the US Congress.

Goinboardin

Premium Member
Nov 15, 2009
Laramie, WY
It was my understanding that two commissioners wanted to vote yes on the current proposal, today, that came out of the WPLI committee (via a 2/3 vote there, NOT a consensus). However, three of the commissioners thought that was not right; moved to not vote today, and that is what happened: they did not vote. I'm not sure what the next move is, but it was good to see the three commissioners recognize that the motorized and mountain bike communities were NOT satisfied with the current proposal coming out of WPLI. WPLI was initially tasked with generating a proposal that satisfied all the user groups, within reason, through various compromises and discourse. After a few failed attempts to pen a proposal everyone could stand behind, there was a change from the consensus requirement to a 2/3 support requirement (by Teton County Commissioners). This enabled the non-motorized representatives to ignore the motorized/mechanized groups, and the current proposal that was under consideration today was doing just that. That's not right. Please try to stay tuned it, more input is surely going to be needed.

Keep in mind, whatever the commissioners decide, be it based on WPLI input or not, is not the final decision on what to do with the existing wilderness study areas. That is up to Congress, for better or for worse.

I'm not the most informed on any of this, so if you see an error in my post, feel free to correct me!

Last edited:

snow-doo

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 7, 2008
Atascadero Ca
How do we get this on the front page of this forum. zThere has to hundreds of us that didn't know of this.All those boys from the mid -west will be out of business. Maybe When BRP,figures out that there biggest Summit market goes away it will be to late.Help me on this one

bigrig

Lifetime Membership
Jan 13, 2008
LAKE PARK, IA
This is a huge deal! Area south of highway from Togwotee lodge to Lava mountain lodge is effected. Almost wipe out sledding in that area. Wish more people are following this!!

MD1

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Lino Lakes, MN
Voting at 3 PM Mountain time

Dear AMPL Community,

I’m sure many of you are wondering where things stand on the final Teton County WPLI proposal that was being considered by our County Commissioners last Tuesday. You have probably read stories in the JHNG this week that some WPLI members are working on a new proposal with hopes of some last minute grand bargain that is acceptable to all. We at AMPL don’t see that as a feasible option, but we’ll gain more information at next Board of County Commissioners (BCC) Meeting, being held Tuesday, Oct 16 that 3 pm.

Tuesday October 16th at 3:00 pm the BCC will reconvene at 200 S. Willow Street and will either vote to approve or deny the Final WPLI Proposal that was presented last week (the one that proposes the largest loss of snowmobile, mountain bike and dirt bike access in 34 years). It is my understanding that public comment on this proposal has been closed. However, as you may have seen there are ads in the paper this weekend from several of the conservation groups supporting this proposal. These conversation groups are encouraging members of the public to show up and ask our commissioners to vote YES. AMPL plans to attend this meeting and will be representing the 150 or more of you that were there last Tuesday standing up for our access, and asking our Commissioners to Vote NO. If, like myself, you’re still concerned for the outcome of this process and want to come out in support of access for mechanized and motorized recreation then by all means do so! If you can’t make it, please encourage a friend that cares about access to join us. I would love to tell you to just stay home, but my instinct is telling me that we need to see this thing through to the end!

This process has been going on for almost two years, and unfortunately it has all come down to recreational access, and which users should and shouldn’t be allowed on our public lands. The conservation industry is standing hand and hand trying to close access on 1/3 of all public lands in Teton County that are currently open to responsible snowmobiling, mountain biking and dirt biking. It’s very apparent that the Greater Yellowstone Collation, The Jackson Hole Conservation Alliance, The Sierra Club, The Wilderness Society, The Wyoming Wilderness Association, The Backcountry Horseman of America and the Wyoming Outdoor Council all feel that snowmobiling, dirt biking and mountain biking are the largest threat to the 18% of public lands in Teton County that are not National Parks or already designated Wilderness. As good stewards of these lands I’m sure you will agree with me that they subscribe to an ideology that is exclusive and not inclusive.

Thank you for your continued support, and hope to see you Tuesday.

Jesse Combs
President
Advocates of Multi-Use of Public Lands

jhubs

Lifetime Membership
Apr 10, 2008
Keep this thread open with updates and final decisions. Wish I was able to personally attend the meeting to support continued access to this area...one of the best in the world!

brandon227

Lifetime Membership
Nov 3, 2010
North East Wyoming
I read that the vote was NO as well. Thank you to all that sent emails, letters, and other correspondence. I am sure that this is not the last time we will see this come up.

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
Oh wow I didn't even see this thread on here earlier.

I went to the first meeting the Teton County Commission had on October 9th, and it was interesting to say the least.

I was unable to go to the second one earlier this week, but its a good thing so many folks showed up again .... I think it dawned on the Teton County Commission they had a lot more to consider than just trying to manipulate the WPLI work so they could "officially recommend more Wilderness in Teton County" .... Good news for sure, but don't think the wilderness groups are done yet. They will be challenging this .... Gonna have to keep it up :juggle:

Y
Jan 30, 2009
I am a citizen.
I pay taxes.
I vote.
I employ individuals.
I contribute to society.

Why is there a question if I am allowed to use public land

rhetorical

Premium Features