• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Switchback Assault or rmk 144?

Iowa_assault

Lifetime Membership
Nov 25, 2014
Cedar Rapids Iowa
Im wondering if i should get a SBA or a rmk 144? I do 75% off trail riding. I live in Iowa and go out west 4 times a year. I might trail ride in the U.P once a year but in Iowa I only take the trail to the deep drifts. I would get a 2012 assault if i got the assault or if i got the rmk it would be a 2015 rmk 600 144. Whats your guys opinion? I have a 2009 assault rmk 146 right now

Thanks

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
Get the Assault. A 600 is fine for Iowa, but you'll wish you had an 800 in the mountains. How about keep your 2009 for ditch banging and get a 155 Pro for out west?

H

hoov165x

Apr 12, 2009
Bend, OR
RMK 600.... replace the shocks with something decent, and ride it for 6000 miles plus with no motor issues. It is much better off trail than the SBA. If you do get the SBA, send the shocks off to Carl's as the stock valving is atrocious. Carl's valving specs for the piggyback WE shocks are excellent. At the elevations you ride, the 600 is great, and it even performs well up to 8,000+ feet as long as you are not a professional chute climber.

X

xc6rider

Jan 12, 2009
Iowa
You could also chop a 155 rmk down to a 144-146". Im thinking bout keeping my '12 Pro rmk and doing that. Good sled for all riding areas. '12 has chaincase so switching gearing for different tracks would be easy. 1.5-1.75" in midwest, 2.5" for out west.

Edit: Better ski stance, better running boards. Several benefits i see of this route.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2014
Sask. Canada
If your going to be riding in rough conditions I would take my Assault with the 2 inch paddle every day of the week. The only issue I have with my Assault would be the running boards carrying snow.
I have no idea what people are doing to the shocks to need instant rebuilding before they even ride the sled. I personally believe that people are giving bad advice when they claim that you should be bottoming out your shocks regularly. This is asking for trouble. Hard hit bottoming out is bad news for a shock. Set the springs appropriately for your weight and how you ride. Set the "clickers" enough that you don't bottom out at all but are still getting through most of the shock travel. I have to adjust my shocks several times during a ride. On nice trails I loosen them up so that they soak up small bumps effortlessly. When we get off trail and conditions are rough and jumping will be going on I tighten them up to avoid bottoming out and smashing the shocks and really the whole suspension system.

W

westhawk39

Dec 7, 2011
Whiteshell MB
I bought a 2015 Std RMK for $9100 Can, then put raptor clicker shocks all around, MDS clutch kit for low elevation, and geared 21-41 and it rips. Did a 450 mile ride this weekend, 1/2 trail, 1/2 off trail. Have to work a little harder on trail but I love the 155. I still havnt cut my track down and the 2.4 does pretty good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Premium Features