• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Stripped bolt in clutch

jdog1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2007
I was taking apart my clutch on my 22 850 turbo and I stripped one of the bolt’s taking off the damper. It was being a pain and i heated it multiple times to get thread lock to melt and used a bit to much force. Any idea how to get it out now?

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
I was taking apart my clutch on my 22 850 turbo and I stripped one of the bolt’s taking off the damper. It was being a pain and i heated it multiple times to get thread lock to melt and used a bit to much force. Any idea how to get it out now?
cut the cushion off and cut a slot in the remainder to screw it out or get some vice grips on it. this could be horrible advice but it’s what I’d do.
how’d you strip it, using an impact wrench for removal or one size too small torx bit or?

jdog1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2007
cut the cushion off and cut a slot in the remainder to screw it out or get some vice grips on it. this could be horrible advice but it’s what I’d do.
how’d you strip it, using an impact wrench for removal or one size too small torx bit or?
Was using a impact wrench. The head of the screw is flush down in the damper. Cant cut a slot into it.

farmboy84

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
New Prague, MN
jcjc1 is saying sacrifice the cushion to get the slot cut in the screw head.

Other thoughts.
Can you weld a few nuts on the bolt head one at a time until it's above the cushion and then use a socket to get it off?
Easy out?

jdog1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2007
jcjc1 is saying sacrifice the cushion to get the slot cut in the screw head.

Other thoughts.
Can you weld a few nuts on the bolt head one at a time until it's above the cushion and then use a socket to get it off?
Easy out?
Would be hard to weld a nut onto it being flushed down in the cushion. With my skills anyway. If i got a slot in it im not sure a screw driver will back it out if the impact couldn’t.

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
Would be hard to weld a nut onto it being flushed down in the cushion. With my skills anyway. If i got a slot in it im not sure a screw driver will back it out if the impact couldn’t.

The cushion is just two thin pieces of metal with rubber inbetween. Whittle away at the rubber on the stripped torx head screw so the cushion can be removed and you can work at getting the screw out with either vise grips on the head of the screw. Or take it to a dealer for them to play with. Those torx screws are very easily damaged even with a 3/8 wrench to break them loose. Not a good idea to use a impact on torx that small, I always break them free with a long handle 3/8 ratchet before using a power tool to quickly spin them out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
gonna beat a dead horse but yeah, impacts are a no-no for breaking them free but at the same time I hate how shallow the cavity is on these bolts and the four on the secondary.
good luck with it.

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
Sometimes a stripped torx will catch if you tap an Allen in.
Between sae and metric it’s usually possible to find one slightly oversized and get it to grab after tapping in.

jdog1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2007
The cushion is just two thin pieces of metal with rubber inbetween. Whittle away at the rubber on the stripped torx head screw so the cushion can be removed and you can work at getting the screw out with either vise grips on the head of the screw. Or take it to a dealer for them to play with. Those torx screws are very easily damaged even with a 3/8 wrench to break them loose. Not a good idea to use a impact on torx that small, I always break them free with a long handle 3/8 ratchet before using a power tool to quickly spin them out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good idea. I thought it was solid metal didn’t realize it was thin metal with rubber core.

srw

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
I just did the same thing 2 days ago. I set the clutch in my drill press and drilled down into the the bolt. Then inserted an easy out into the hole and backed out the screw. Picked up new screws with Allen heads at Tacoma screw.

wideopenbeau

Lifetime Membership
Dec 19, 2009
Milky Way.
Yep as others have said drill it out and easy-out it. Just drill straight and slow. Then heat it with a map gas torch for about 10 seconds after you are all setup and ready to remove it.

S
Mar 6, 2008
Northern Sweden
Drill the head off the bolt. Once I had the damper off, the remains of the bolt came out nicely using just a tiny pipe wrench with new sharp "teeth". If that doesn't work its at least easier to weld a nut to the bolt since the damper is removed and clutch is split.

The lesson to be learned is to never ever use an impact gun on these bolts. Fix the clutch to a holding tool and use both hands, one to pull on the Tool/ratchet shaft and the other to hold/align the tool to the bolt.

Premium Features