• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Storm and Ultra Gurus please help

T

TravRMK

Feb 1, 2004
Pocatello, ID
My Son and I built a sled from several old parts I had lying around. The chassis, is a 96 XLT RMK. The Engine is a brand new rebuilt 95 Storm 800, top and bottom ends. Storm carbs, 96 Ultra Wiring harness, 96 Ultra Coils, 96 Ultra CDI, but 95 storm Flywheel, and stator. Engine runs and idles great. once the engine is up to operating temp, it bogs, and cuts the pto cylinder. When returned to Idle, it hits onall 3 again Have tried different coils, and wires. Any compatibility issues with the ultra cdi, and the storm stator? Any Ideas?

T

TravRMK

Feb 1, 2004
Pocatello, ID
I am thinking it may be because the Ultra is Sequentialy fired ignition, instead of having the coils wired in series. Anyone have any input on this? Going to try swapping out cdi from a XLT, and rewireing the coils this weekend.

B
Nov 26, 2007
Salt Lake City
storm

Digital ignition should work fine as long as you use all of it. It may be in the stator or Hal Pickup. If runs fine until hot then you have something going away due to heat. Make sure the coils are grounded good. I had an ultra once that developed a fine crack in the strap that grounds the coils and wouldn't run right. I wonder about using the storm flywheel with digital ignition. You ought to compare the number and size of the magnets with those on the ultra. If they aren't placed right you may get poor performance or miss fire. Stator will probably be OK. All it does it generate electricity where the flywheel/ hal pickup determine ignition signal.

Last edited:
M

mike_s

Jan 19, 2012
Ashton, Idaho
I am thinking it may be because the Ultra is Sequentialy fired ignition, instead of having the coils wired in series. Anyone have any input on this? Going to try swapping out cdi from a XLT, and rewireing the coils this weekend.

The ultra ignition is batch fire, not sequential. I had the same problem running my engine with a different flywheel. The ultra flywheels had a longer reference trigger on the flywheel. When i ran a different flywheel from an older xcr my sled would run great idle to 3/4 throttle or a little less. soon as i went WFO it would cut ignition untill the engine returned to idle.

Recheck your wiring, because ultra ignition should be daisy chained coils.

On edit, evidently they were produced both ways, as sequential and as batch fire. Mine is batch fire, but i have a wiring diagram that seems to show sequential. I still think your isue is due to the lack of reference pulse. Let me see if i can upload the diagram.

Last edited:
Premium Features