• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Spot any good???

HammsRMK

Lifetime Membership
Dec 21, 2008
Central ND
just wondering what everyone thought about Spot i read about it in a magazine. also wondering if anyone has used one and if they are as good as the magazine said.

Dec 30, 2008
Ramsey, MN
Spot does the job

SPOT serves the purpose to do 3 things - mainly notify your next of kin for:
1 - ck in that you are ok and still having fun
2 - ok you got stuck and need outside help
3 - life emergency send SAR

For the tracking portion (extra $50/yr) this is a nice to have for your family at home waiting your return. They can see that you are still on the move and having fun, or if for some reason you are hold up for the night. This tracking portion is not like your GPS tracks, it only sends a signal every so often so it is not exact to your traveled tracks. If instead you hit the ck in I'm ok button they will get your location.

Personally, I won't head to the mountains without it. Well worth the investment, especially after an ATV accident this summer and we life flighted a rider out of 10 miles into the back country.

skippyh2o

Lifetime Membership
Sep 22, 2005
Bonney Lake
www.hidsource.com
SPOT serves the purpose to do 3 things - mainly notify your next of kin for:
1 - ck in that you are ok and still having fun
2 - ok you got stuck and need outside help
3 - life emergency send SAR

For the tracking portion (extra $50/yr) this is a nice to have for your family at home waiting your return. They can see that you are still on the move and having fun, or if for some reason you are hold up for the night. This tracking portion is not like your GPS tracks, it only sends a signal every so often so it is not exact to your traveled tracks. If instead you hit the ck in I'm ok button they will get your location.

Personally, I won't head to the mountains without it. Well worth the investment, especially after an ATV accident this summer and we life flighted a rider out of 10 miles into the back country.

I second that! I absolutely love mine. The tracking feature works GREAT!:face-icon-small-win

B
Jan 17, 2008
NorCal
Used for first time today seemed to work (in the track mode) pretty good. Cabelas, or Rei to name a few places. Price looks to be at $149 Right now not sure for how much longer there is a $50 rebate through the manufacturer.

Dec 30, 2008
Ramsey, MN
Try Amazon for SPOT

I just did a search on Amazon and it was $129 and if they (SPOT) still has the $50 rebate, makes the unit $79.

Our groomer has used this 3 times this season with break downs, he wasn't sure it was working, so he pressed the 911 and SAR was there in an hour and they said it worked great and really helped to pinpoint him.

C
Oct 4, 2008
I used the spot for 16 days straight while rafting the Colorado this summer. I think I used the tracking option for part of it but most of the time I just did periodic check-ins. The google-maps-based email it sends out is perfect and everyone who got it was amazed by the product. Definitely a nice unit!

Oh, and I dropped it overboard two or three times and had no problem retrieving it since it floats. Never had a waterproofness issue in any of the rapids throughout the Grand Canyon.

Premium Features