• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Speedwerx Supercharger on 20 HC ?

R
Nov 27, 2007
Boise, ID
I don't carry a spare belt for the charger. The extra fuel is added with an auxiliary injector, and unplugging the fuel controller from the 12V power source by the chain case will shut it off. Since that's an option you can ride out on stock fueling. I'd rather do that than try and tear everything apart on the hill to fix the belt. I was told to reach in and check the tensioner/bearing periodically as he had seen those loosen up before. I didn't get any direction on how often to change the charger belt, but I might change it at 1000 miles to be on an every-other schedule with the plugs and charger oil.

I might do pistons every 1000 miles as preventative maintenance too, so it'll be torn apart for all that during that time. My buddy @broz2006 changed his pistons around 750 miles on his 2019 and they still looked good then.

Throttle pull is pretty stiff with these for some reason. Both my 2021 and buddy's 2019 are this way. I have the aluminum intake tubes and they rest right on top of the steering stem. I thought this could have been done better as it's eventually going to wear a hole in the tube.

They don't pull over that hard compared to my high compression 900BB sled in moderate temperatures, but if it's really cold (like getting close to zero) and the sled is sitting outside you might break the recoil trying to start it (it happened). I don't know if it's the oil in the charger getting cold and making it harder to pull over or what, but be prepared. Under certain conditions they will flood when starting. Like if in a warm shop or you just don't get a good pull on the rope the first time. If it doesn't start on the second pull then hold the throttle wide open and it will fire right up.

Also, it won't let me edit the above old post about sled weight. Mine with some lightweight parts was 553 with the trail tank with 13 gallons of fuel. Full details on the build here: https://www.snowest.com/forum/threads/new-tom-cat-is-home.460162/

T
Dec 16, 2021
Michigan
Any idea approx what the supercharger kit adds for weight on the sled? I’m told 10# over stock. Just sold my BD turbo AXYS and wondered how that compared as well. Was much heavier feeling than a stocker with pipes.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Per the Speedwerx website, "Weight very similar to stock. (2018 kit adds 18lbs.)." I read that as the 2018+ kits add 18lb over stock so it is significant. The older kits with the air-air cooler were lighter than the newer systems that use water-air coolers. The later OEM exhaust cans are lighter than the old ones by a couple pounds so that increases the delta too. Secondary cooler on the belly of the sled, circulating pump, coolant weight, intercooler, etc. add up. Can always do some lightening mods up front to help counteract, but that's more money too. One thing about the supercharger is it starts with boost at idle. So as soon as you're on the gas it's helping lift the front. Not like a turbo where you need it to spool to start lifting.

Premium Features