• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

show me the ropes in the Tahoe area ?

P
Dec 5, 2021
Lake Tahoe
anyone want to show me the ropes, preferably in the South Tahoe area ?

i live off upper Kingsbury about a mile from the trail head. I rode up there today, and managed to make it in and out for a decent ride, but it seems pretty clear i shouldn't be riding up there by myself this new in my career. I've ridden those trails a few times on my dirtbike and sort of know some of the trails, but not nearly well enough to be able to spot them covered in snow, or remember every little obstacle that is coming up.

i'm available most any time to ride. I have a Freeride and a Single sled trailer and have pretty good gear. My specialities are rum and diet coke, and I have a ton of motorcycle experience but almost no sled experience. That said, i know it can be a PITA to take a novice anywhere because they hold people up. So TIA for anyone willing to show me around, i'll try not to be that guy. Uphill, downhill, bumps and jumps no problems....still trying to get used to the sidehill problem...these things don't steer like motorcycles, but the Freeride power is spot on...SNAPPY !

thx

Pickin’ Boogers

Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2013
Aramark should be grooming a lot of that area soon, so you can ride the trails and jump off for the goods as desired. The grooming doesn't go all the way to North Benjamin, but close. They've had some mechanical and staffing issues, and I haven't heard when the grooming will finally begin for the season.

S
Nov 25, 2010
Fallon, nv
I ride hope valley a lot if you're interested in going down there. My wife and buddy stick to the trails mostly. I've got a 162 mountain cat. Still trying to get the hang of side hilling as well.

IFlyEm

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 1, 2008
Temecula, CA
I definitely want to meet up with some people in Tahoe/Truckee. I am down in San Diego but have no issue making the trek. It's just me though and sometimes a buddy from Iowa. Still cutting our teeth on mountain riding. I have an 850 SKS 155 and will be spring checking a 850 Khaos Slash 165 this spring.

P
Dec 5, 2021
Lake Tahoe
hit me up via email any time.

i caught up with sledtrk at Hope Valley and he gave me the tour. Thx man !

It's got a decent mix of easy roads which then access several large lake / meadow areas, along with numerous smaller areas to head off the main roads whenever you spot something in your skill range. There's a broad range. There are periodic larger tourist groups on the main roads, so look out.

i'm going to need several easy rides to figure this thing out. i rode through the trees some, but it's a bit risky at my current skill level. I don't feel much like getting stuck or rolling it into the trees for some stupid mistake. The lake areas have some hills without obstacles which is a better place to practice without getting in much trouble.

i didn't realize it at the time, but i should have removed my sway bar link ( i have a stock quick disconnect ), i had a real hard time getting any lean out of the sled at all. if that doesn't prove enough help, i think i need to back down the front preload some, it seems likely to be set up for someone heavier than me. And a finger throttle on a turbo ridden by a novice is not a great combo !

B
Jan 9, 2018
rider here in Los Angeles .

I’m also in for a trek - looking for a group to ride with - have ridden the bear valley area

I’ll bring the jerky

P
Dec 5, 2021
Lake Tahoe
@ta-hoe - that's exactly what i was thinking would happen, it cleared out the area. in my head i was picturing wide open hill climbs through the canyons. But i did see something about certain areas being closed off. not sure of the details. I need a couple more rides before i'm qualified to ride with anyone, but would love to check it out sometime after that.

i'm not the best person to organize a venture, since i know so little about the area and riding, ta-hoe or sledtrk are better. In any case......maybe we should pick a date or something ? or would it be better to wait for some weather event ? might get better visibility if we start a new thread. what do you guys think ?

T
Aug 6, 2021
tahoe
None of the areas are closed. I know the area real well and now that it’s burned it’s cleared out a lot of new zones to explore. The riding is great now, I have a very mellow work schedule so I’m typically free

P
Dec 5, 2021
Lake Tahoe
I, decided, to have a non-work schedule, after that i got a turbo freeride.
after that, i decided to figure out how to ride it.<-----where i am right now.
i remain unconcerned. i've never been killed.
as a bonus, if i get killed on your (or any) ride, i'll will you (or any) a freeride turbo, or what's left of it. deal ?
pantybuncher is easy to find, but really hard to kill.

H
Feb 11, 2022
Tahoe
I’m new to riding as well. My Summit X Turbo 165 is supposed to arrive next week. I’m in South Reno but would be up for meeting any time. I’ve got avy gear and backcountry experience but haven’t been on a sled in 30 years! I’ll buy drinks afterwards as well ??

P
Dec 5, 2021
Lake Tahoe
hi Hookalakupua. the only places i've ridden around here are hope valley and near my home in stateline....short ride map below. click the 3D flyover button. it's not a very agressive solo ride, but then again, i didn't get stuck, lost, or stranded either. so i have that going for me.

i'm down to ride either place most any time. i feel pretty comfortable riding my dirt bike most any place solo, but these sleds are so heavy that going solo seems like asking for a problem. so sure, catch up with me any time.

H
Feb 11, 2022
Tahoe
That’s awesome so thanks for sharing! I have to admit that I’m a bit worried about going out solo as well so I’ll definitely hit you up as soon as I get it next week! I’ll DM you my info.
Thanks,
Jason

T
Aug 6, 2021
tahoe
I ride solo from my house frequently, I just ride with the necessary stuff to fix (4:1 rope with pullies) or pull my sled out of whatever I get into. I rode yesterday solo and I''l like shred tomorrow solo as well.

Premium Features