• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

snowhawk ski upgrade info req'd

X
Jan 24, 2010
Bethany, Ontario
New to the forum. Just picked up a 2005 Snowhawk 600 ho 121". Can someone describe the ski geometry upgrade that I believe came on the 2007 models and up? My ski is stock with no snow trackers mounted. Any suggestions as I cannot download the 2007 manual due to being on dial up. I will attempt to post pics of what I have now to be sure the upgrade was not already done.

Love the machine so far BTW. Been riding bikes for 32 years so what a blast! My XP will get little usage this winter.

Darryl

mnsnowhawk

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2007
Dayton, Minnesota
If the ski mounts straight below the forks, you don't have the update. You will notice the ski will be setback from the forks with the newer setup. If trail riding, this is a must. So are the snow trackers. Scram600 makes an adjustable one so you can run both ways. Welcome to the forum!

J&L Snowhawk

Lifetime Membership
Jan 3, 2008
Aberdeen, SD
stores.ebay.com
ski info

there are pics of the trail adapter for the ski on my website. it is sold just so you know. I will be getting some more of scrams adjustable one soon. the snow trackers are also listed along with some complete ski asm. hope this helps Les

X
Jan 24, 2010
Bethany, Ontario
ski update

Thanks for the quick responses. Checked out Les's website and it seems I do have the updated front. My ski has roughly a 2" rear setback from the bottom of the forks. Is there an advantage to having the adjustable setback/ I guess this would all depend on the riding conditions? I will definitely be throwing on smoe snow trackers for the hardpack.

I actually snapped the rear bolt of the steel plate that the ski mounts to. Before I repaired it I wanted to confirm I had the update so it looks like I am good to go.

Thinking of changing out the throttle to a G2 cam setup for easier pull as well as more controled response. Also must check the clutching springs/weights as it seems to hit hard off the start.

I also updated my profile. I live in Bethany Ontario which is near the Ganaraska Forest (an hour east of Toronto) God's country for dirtbikes and sleds.

Darryl

B
Jan 12, 2008
hamburg,ny
welcome east coaster! check out the thread on the hawkfest east lake placid! and you still have time to make it to hawkfest 2010 in logan utah! plenty of us east coast flat landers goin to get our arses handed to us in the mountains!

T

Thunderhawk

Sep 5, 2009
CT
I also broke the rear bolt of the ski mounting plate. That's 3 posted occurrences within 2 weeks. Make sure you replace with a grade 8 bolt!!

X
Jan 24, 2010
Bethany, Ontario
ski upgrade

Thunderstruck,

Glad you posted re: snapping of rear bolt. I thought it may have be one of those fluke things. Now I am considering replacing both bolts while I'm at it. I may even go one size larger as both bolts are stock. Mine snapped just short of launching off a jump. Scary landing it was!

Darryl

X
Jan 24, 2010
Bethany, Ontario
sheared bolt

Buffalohawk,

The bolt that sheared was the rear one that is tack welded onto the metal plate that the ski attaches to. Yes, it was the bolt that goes through the polyurathane bushings. These are metric bolts with an 8.8 marked on the head.

Darryl

B
Jan 12, 2008
hamburg,ny
knock on hawkwood,mines been good since installed 4-5 years ago! they must not make metal like they used to..

has there been any kind of noticable wear on the bolts were they sheared?

T

Thunderhawk

Sep 5, 2009
CT
No wear, just snapped off at the base of the threads.

I don't know if I'd go with a larger bolt, as then I guess you'd need larger bushings. I looked for a bolt that had a longer shaft and less threads while still being 2 1/2" long, but couldn't find one. You might use a longer bolt and cut the tip off to fabicate such a bolt.

Some times grade 8 bolts are counterfit. This may have been the case with the batch Boivin used. If you want to be obsessive about it, get an aircraft certified grade 8 bolt.

X
Jan 24, 2010
Bethany, Ontario
sheared bolt

The head of the thread is marked 8.8 which means it is a medium carbon and comparable to a grade 5. IMO medium carbon is more brittle than a low carbon hence the shear issue. I only buy my bolts at a reputable bolt supplier to reduce the risk of counterfeit grades (had it happen before). If you go from a grade 8 from the standard 8.8 that is there then I should have an increase of aprox 50% on the shear. Many engineers could argue that a grade 8 is more brittle than a grade 5 however in this instance I believe failure was caused by using a medium carbon fastener.

I'm playing safe and going low carbon grade 8 for both.

Darryl

T
Nov 29, 2007
Morrsitown Vermont
I just inspected mine, they are not welded to the plate '2004 model' and there is a significant shank. I called ADB and asked them if they would warranty mine and they said only if the bolt had no shank. Did the ones that broke in these cases have a shank(non threaded part)?

T

Thunderhawk

Sep 5, 2009
CT
Once again, just when I beging to think I understand something, I'm prompty taught how little I know.

Low carbon grade 8, uhh? How do I determine that, or do I just trust the grade 8 that the local hardware store sold me. It's a gold color, but I imagine that's just a coating.

Mike, mine has about a 3/4 to 1" shank. Broke right at the transition to the threads.

X
Jan 24, 2010
Bethany, Ontario
ski bolt shear

There are a few international rating of the way they identify bolts. This is getting back to my young school days so I may not be 100% with this. I believe low carbon metric bolts are usually marked with a line under their rating. As for SAE ratings, I cannot recall.

I will call AD as well as my bolts have no shoulder.

Now does someone have contact info where I could buy the suspension relocation bracket? Les, you got them?

Darryl

T
Nov 29, 2007
Morrsitown Vermont
There are a few international rating of the way they identify bolts. This is getting back to my young school days so I may not be 100% with this. I believe low carbon metric bolts are usually marked with a line under their rating. As for SAE ratings, I cannot recall.

I will call AD as well as my bolts have no shoulder.

Now does someone have contact info where I could buy the suspension relocation bracket? Les, you got them?

Darryl

Darryl, they are going to ask you for a digital pictures of your bolts before they wills end you a new part.

Premium Features