• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

>>Ski-Doo 850 Summit-X: First Ride Impressions

b-litt

Premium Member
Aug 21, 2012
McCall, ID
m.youtube.com
I like hearing the comparisons between the 850 and Axys. Most of what I've seen is that guys are jumping back and forth to come to their conclusions. For me it takes a full day to get comfortable enough to pull lines with the confidence needed to give either sled a fair shake. A hand full of my friends ride a boosted Axys. That comparison just isn't fair though. A good rider can do turbo things that just can't be done on a stock sled. As of now I have the tmotion locked out, Raptors all around, sway bar disconnected, and have never been so impressed with a sock sled. I can pull lines that I would never even attempt with the XM. I have over 600 hard miles on my 154". These are hard miles. I pay attention to zones and aspects of the mountain to limit the chance of a damaged bulkhead or a arm, but will still do re-entries off walls that are sometimes just slightly covered boulders or pop off pillows and logs with little coverage. Sometimes they're just too hard to resist. So far I'm very impressed with almost everything on this sled. The performance and handling well exceeded my expectations. I don't like the running boards and knew I would replace them when available. Belts are an issue, but I chalk it up to the cost of sledding. On deep days when I know I'll be pinned wide open with minimal air flow I might just need to bring a couple extra belts until the experts figure this new clutch out. Best 15 grand I've ever spent!

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Now for something FUN to report.

My youngest son, who has all of perhaps 6 days of riding experience under his belt, pulled off his first SIDE HILL this weekend as part of our Level 1 Snowmobile Specific Avalanche Course we took over the weekend at Togwotee Mountain Lodge with Mike Duffy from Avalanche1.

While this may not seem like a big deal to most people, Christian has ZERO experience in Mountain riding, but to get to the class location for this course he had NO alternative but to side hill across a significant face and climb to the top where we spent the day doing drills.

With a little expert tutelage from Mike Duffy, I was able to sit back and watch my 17yr son OWN IT on his new Summit SP 850 !

That sled is just SO DANG FRIENDLY and easy to ride :face-icon-small-hap

Once again I continue to be impressed with what this sled can do and how much better of a rider it makes the person on it.

Calvin42

Premium Member
Oct 14, 2008
Cantonment, FL
Well, as an owner of a 2016 AXYS 163", 2.6" and a 2017 G4 165", 3". I figured I'd put in my two cents with regards to pro's, con's and differences.

First of all I really love both sleds. They have a lot in common as well as a lot of differences.

The AXYS is light and has very good power in my opinion. It does well in the deep and handles great in technical terrain. Wasn't sure there could be anything better out there.

Then I took delivery of my 850.
The first thing I noticed was the steering. It really felt like it had electric power steering (and I thought the AXYS steered easy).

The second thing I noticed was the power. After having a turbo four stroke, I never thought I would have enough power. Not true with the 850. For my style of riding, the sled has more than enough to put a smile on your face and take you places you either want or don't want to be. I still don't think the AXYS is a slouch by any means.

For the similarities the two sleds have, they are also completely different.
Like all the pro riders said in all the video's before the sled was released, when you first learn how to ride it, you WILL over control it. True statement. Although I never flipped it on it's side, you can do it very easy. The Poo feels very planted while the Doo feels more like riding a Jet ski. The traction is awesome for the type of snow we have, which has a high water content. The sled is extremely easy to throw around and the engine is silky smooth. The ride is better than my AXYS when it comes to riding trails into the good areas.

Of course I try to minimize the amount of time spent on the trail, inevitably, we have to ride trails to some degree.

The storage that Doo has for the G4 gives you lots of options which are easy to install or uninstall. The Poo storage is good, but not on the same level as Doo. Don't have the GPS on the Doo yet, but must say I'm really glad I added the PIDD to my Poo. Got in a white out condition in Utah last week and even though I felt like I was riding in a snow globe, following the track on the PIDD took myself and my group of eight right back to the truck. Money well spent in my opinion.

I'd say fuel economy and oil consumption were pretty equal. Both sleds went all the same places.

If I were going to snow check a 2018, I'd have a difficult time deciding.
One thing I did love was the way Polaris engineers designed the a arms. Extremely easy to change. Found a 10 foot hole in a creek bottom and that was the only damage. Not even an extreme bend considering that the hole I found was DEEP. Still have pretty major bruises from that one.

But all in all, both sleds are awesome and glad to be able to have both in my trailer.
Anyone looking for a great sled, either one will fit the bill.
Really comes down to dealer support for these two.

Happy riding!

Last edited by a moderator:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Thanks for taking the time to write up a good honest review.~!
Isn't it nice to be in a situation where we have MULTIPLE GOOD OPTIONS to chose from for a change.

Well, as an owner of a 2016 AXYS 163", 2.6" and a 2017 G4 165", 3". I figured I'd put in my two cents with regards to pro's, con's and differences.

First of all I really love both sleds. They have a lot in common as well as a lot of differences.

The AXYS is light and has very good power in my opinion. It does well in the deep and handles great in technical terrain. Wasn't sure there could be anything better out there.

Then I took delivery of my 850.
The first thing I noticed was the steering. It really felt like it had electric power steering (and I thought the AXYS steered easy).

The second thing I noticed was the power. After having a turbo four stroke, I never thought I would have enough power. Not true with the 850. For my style of riding, the sled has more than enough to put a smile on your face and take you places you either want or don't want to be. I still don't think the AXYS is a slouch by any means.

For the similarities the two sleds have, they are also completely different.
Like all the pro riders said in all the video's before the sled was released, when you first learn how to ride it, you WILL over control it. True statement. Although I never flipped it on it's side, you can do it very easy. The Poo feels very planted while the Doo feels more like riding a Jet ski. The traction is awesome for the type of snow we have, which has a high water content. The sled is extremely easy to throw around and the engine is silky smooth. The ride is better than my AXYS when it comes to riding trails into the good areas.

Of course I try to minimize the amount of time spent on the trail, inevitably, we have to ride trails to some degree.

The storage that Doo has for the G4 gives you lots of options which are easy to install or uninstall. The Poo storage is good, but not on the same level as Doo. Don't have the GPS on the Doo yet, but must say I'm really glad I added the PIDD to my Poo. Got in a white out condition in Utah last week and even though I felt like I was riding in a snow globe, following the track on the PIDD took myself and my group of eight right back to the truck. Money well spent in my opinion.

I'd say fuel economy and oil consumption were pretty equal. Both sleds went all the same places.

If I were going to snow check a 2018, I'd have a difficult time deciding.
One thing I did love was the way Polaris engineers designed the a arms. Extremely easy to change. Found a 10 foot hole in a creek bottom and that was the only damage. Not even an extreme bend considering that the hole I found was DEEP. Still have pretty major bruises from that one.

But all in all, both sleds are awesome and glad to be able to have both in my trailer.
Anyone looking for a great sled, either one will fit the bill.
Really comes down to dealer support for these two.

Happy riding!

Calvin42

Premium Member
Oct 14, 2008
Cantonment, FL
Gotta say though, as nice as it is having options, the OEM's are making it really hard. I want one from every OEM. They're all putting out great products. As a "older" single guy, I have a hard time putting enough miles on the ones I have now.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Gotta say though, as nice as it is having options, the OEM's are making it really hard. I want one from every OEM. They're all putting out great products. As a "older" single guy, I have a hard time putting enough miles on the ones I have now.
True enough.
Each of the top end sleds brings something special to the market.
:face-icon-small-hap

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Had a chance to get 2 of my 3 850's out on the snow this weekend in Driggs Idaho. Honestly, I might as well be a freaking paid sponsor for BRP at this point. I just love these dang sleds. The more seat time I get on them the MORE FUN I am having.

Even when I manage to get STUCK, and I got stuck good a couple times this weekend, it SO MUCH EASIER to get UNstuck than it ever was with my yamahas and it take SO MUCH MORE to get stuck in the first place.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/weG4QrEnk1Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Was out with 6 friends, all riding different sleds. But 3 of us were on 850s of one flavor or another, just having a BLAST in some great snow!

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ArMFBv39yws" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
My buddy on his CAT had a little bit less fun than we did, but all ended well!

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/e1_o2hvBGTc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/BLTUh7FEsoQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/sOWbF2izEjw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Christopher, I rode my buddy's sidewinder this weekend. Awesome sled. Way better than what we had. Motor is way smoother. Instant power instead of the little burble my turbo Nytro had down low. Still know the front is heavy. Had a jack on it. More mid on up power to me. You can turbo a 2 stroke for the same money and have the same but quicker power. Won't go down that road again. Awesome sled if you want a 4 stroke.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Christopher, I rode my buddy's sidewinder this weekend. Awesome sled. Way better than what we had. Motor is way smoother. Instant power instead of the little burble my turbo Nytro had down low. Still know the front is heavy. Had a jack on it. More mid on up power to me. You can turbo a 2 stroke for the same money and have the same but quicker power. Won't go down that road again. Awesome sled if you want a 4 stroke.

Bolting on the MPI Turbo Thursday Night!

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Just gave you a accidental thumbs down. Might forgo my turbo and buy my daughter and new sno scoot. That is the coolest sled any of the manufacturers could have released.
I'll be awaiting your video and review.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Just gave you a accidental thumbs down. Might forgo my turbo and buy my daughter and new sno scoot. That is the coolest sled any of the manufacturers could have released.
I'll be awaiting your video and review.
Ya, I guessed that was the case.

And MAN, I SOOOO wish they had that sled out a few years ago when my kids were still small enough to have been able to take advantage of it.

I am SO GLAD they decided to bring back the mid range sleds for kids!

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ekHNaoqk2oU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
That's it but you apparently didn't get to ride it.
CORRECT
Hope to have it out this weekend.
We just plain ran out of time last weekend getting the install done to get out and test ride it.

Once we have had it out on the snow THEN I will get going with the actual review of it.

Premium Features