• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Shuts down when I give it throttle. 16 m8000

R
Nov 2, 2012
did you unplug the handlebar harness like suggested? no change? does it always cut out before the clutches engage or can you "creep" it along?
HI all . God I'm no mechanic!! How the hell I missed this is beyond me. I started it and gave it till right before it would normally shut down and went back and forth with throttle. I noticed the whole clutch was moving I shut it down and looked down there is a crack on pto engine plate mount, I pulled primary and 2nd off and the plate was shattered. I ordered a new one today I'm pretty sure that is the problem. I'll update when its replaced. Thanks for all your time/help guys.

Last edited:
R
Interesting, however, that won't effect in no way a spark or fuel issue. Once you get that replaced, it will be interesting, if anything changes., can't see it.
Of course, clutch alignment, engagement and top end would be effected. It would move and bind components.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
jesus, was it shutting down by rubbing on that plate?! you might want a new clutch now too. Order the '17+ plate so it wont happen again.

bgraff1

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Lloydminster, Alberta
i agree with ready. that is a major issue but wouldnt cause the motor to just "cut out". if it was rubbing that bad on the TCL to stall it out you would sure hear something was going on. your going to need a new primary and new TCL for sure. id be checking motor mounts and alignment once everything else is checked out.

R
Nov 2, 2012
Yeah after reading your replies makes sense that it wouldn't be the problem. I installed new plate and same same. I unplgged knock sensor and it started but did same. Should it start with knock sensor unplugged? ECU, knock sensor and coils are only things left that I haven't changed out.

B
Jan 22, 2016
Check your grounds, after the engine torquing around, something else may be loose or broken. I had a similar problem and it was because the chain case was broke off where it bolts to the frame spar, there is a ground wire there and it would die when it would flex.

R
Nov 2, 2012
Check your grounds, after the engine torquing around, something else may be loose or broken. I had a similar problem and it was because the chain case was broke off where it bolts to the frame spar, there is a ground wire there and it would die when it would flex.
Thanks I'll tear back into it today and check grounds .

R
Nov 2, 2012
Ok. I got it figured out. I took off recoil to have a look at stator and noticed the flywheel bolt backed off. I guess it wasn't advancing. I lined it all back up and put locktite on bolt and runs like it should. Now I gotta work on getting clutch serviced. Thanks for all the advice guys I appreciate your help!!

Premium Features