• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Shopping for a snowmobile

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
At any point today till February 2022 is a bad time to buy unless you get a back out deal.

P
Dec 15, 2018
One thing iam noticing is as guys snowchecks come in late they are selling. Not great deals but some are pretty good lol. Maybe I'll just wait and see. Iam not good enough for a brand new snowmobile anyway lol. I'll just get mine amuck till I can't sta d it anymore or maybe get lucky and find something I can not have buyers remorse over lol. There's 2020 sp 154 2.6 with 340 miles on it for 11k obo I haven't heard back on and a 2019 alpha but it's 165 x 3 but 300 miles for 12. I offered him 10.5 and he got mad I think. I just wa ted a 2 6 track because I ride on the trail alot still. Anyway thanks for the help. I was wondering when you guys start to worry about miles? I see plenty of good prices in the 1500-2500 mile range but thought that may be to high

MTsled3

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2012
Belgrade, Montana
One thing iam noticing is as guys snowchecks come in late they are selling. Not great deals but some are pretty good lol. Maybe I'll just wait and see. Iam not good enough for a brand new snowmobile anyway lol. I'll just get mine amuck till I can't sta d it anymore or maybe get lucky and find something I can not have buyers remorse over lol. There's 2020 sp 154 2.6 with 340 miles on it for 11k obo I haven't heard back on and a 2019 alpha but it's 165 x 3 but 300 miles for 12. I offered him 10.5 and he got mad I think. I just wa ted a 2 6 track because I ride on the trail alot still. Anyway thanks for the help. I was wondering when you guys start to worry about miles? I see plenty of good prices in the 1500-2500 mile range but thought that may be to high
I've been trying to find a newer Polaris for my brother and it's been painful, I'm hoping we'll start to see some cheaper used sleds with snowchecks finally coming in, but I'm not holding my breath

MTsled3

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2012
Belgrade, Montana
My buddy had a sled very similar to this and he absolutely loved it, this is one of the better deals I've seen recently:

2018 Mountain Cat 153” track in perfect condition. 200 miles and 15 hours. Call four oh six four 37 two one nine eight

P
Dec 15, 2018
Think I should care as a novice about no alpha rail? My daughter and wife share a blast and it's pretty fun and easier to surf around and sidehill or edge. Way easier than my m6

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
That’s a personal preference.
We have several twin rails still and they’re very capable. The front end changes and dropped chain case are big contributors to maneuverability that the 18 has, older 6000 won’t. If budget is big issue, get the 18, if not a few thousand more will get you on the alpha. Most of my Alphas were under 10 grand but that was in a totally different market than todays.

JackSprat

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2010
Northern Calirado
Buy the make of sled that you will have the best dealer support for. They all make great products these days and the year SkiDoo's your looking at, the other two manufacturers make great stuff too in that date set.

P
Dec 15, 2018
I want to buy soon a d have a few choices right now but wanna re check again with more experienced riders.
1- 2019 m6000 154x2.6 with under 200 miles $9500
2-2020 m8000 hardcore 165x3 with under 300 12k
2021 Summitt sp 16? 3? Can't remember x3 with under 500 miles 11.5k
I wa t to be honest- new rider and iam bad. Will ride trails and tracked out snow . I've never riden a 800 or 850 but iam excited to try but think the 600 would be fine but a little worried it will be to lively for a newb.
I also could buy a 2022 m8000 alpha mountain for 15.8k (which seems crazy) or a 2022 yamaha 165x3 for 14 4k
I could buy a new ski-doo too lol but only a sp
What a ya think?

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Anything but the 600. Don't get an alpha in a 154. Too quick for you. They are also not trail sleds. Worst ride but funnest hands down off trail. Guess i would buy the Yamaha for 14,400 before I'd pay 12 for a 20 that is 2 years older. Not against the 21 doo either.

P
Dec 15, 2018
I wondered if anyone would recommend the yamaha seeing as they are the same thing but cheaper for some reason? A 2022 h.c. is 15890 I think? More anyway. I'll pass on the 600 just because it's the oldest and I think the 165 will be a better first mountain sled. Hmmm...I'll call the yamaha dealer to see what the total would be and then see what might have gone wrong with them lol. The 2020 hardcore is a private seller and it's also has the pro package so that's a few hundred saved? Will coil over qs3 on a stock machine be to firm for a little guy 145lbs? Obviously can change a string but just curious

MTsled3

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2012
Belgrade, Montana
I wondered if anyone would recommend the yamaha seeing as they are the same thing but cheaper for some reason? A 2022 h.c. is 15890 I think? More anyway. I'll pass on the 600 just because it's the oldest and I think the 165 will be a better first mountain sled. Hmmm...I'll call the yamaha dealer to see what the total would be and then see what might have gone wrong with them lol. The 2020 hardcore is a private seller and it's also has the pro package so that's a few hundred saved? Will coil over qs3 on a stock machine be to firm for a little guy 145lbs? Obviously can change a string but just curious
The Yamaha 165 comes with electric start so it's gonna be 25ish lbs heavier, not really worth it to most people. Also it has the huge seat to house the battery which just gets in the way mountain riding.

The Hardcore shocks will be just fine if you set them to your weight (should have baseline settings in the manual) . I definitely agree on getting a 165" being a newer rider. Better flotation, and less prone to washing out.

Doos are good sleds too, they just ride differently and some people (myself included) prefer the other brands for handling reasons. The Doo has the best fit and finish, and they run very smoothly. SHOT start is super nice too if you find one that has it.

Don't be scared of an 800 (or 850), it's all about throttle control, and once you get used to it you'll be glad you got a bigger engine. I was about 14 and only 120 lbs when I got my first 800 and after a season on it, the power was no longer intimidating.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Not to throw a wet rag on your party, but.....It sounds like if you have a 2016 M6000 141 that you have the right sled for you at this time. Why spend money for something that you (at this time) cannot utilize? You aren't going to be doing hopovers on ANY sled for years. Mountain riding isn't something that you just do, it takes years of practice and learning.
I bought Tater his 2016 141 M6000 4 years ago, at 7 years old. He put 3000 miles on it, pretty much wore it out. I rode it last year for the first time. Not exactly a super modern ripper. BUT: He learned on it. Like us old guys when we learned on ZX and Gen 2 chassis sleds.
He got a new 2022 Summit SP this year, and is NOW a true mountain big boy ride guy at 11 years old. He would NOT have progressed this far this quickly if he had the latest and greatest at 7 when he was green.
If you want some great mods that we did to Tater's to make it better, it is fairly cheap.
Newer style deflectionless clutch. $500-$600? And sell your stocker. Big performance increase.
Hillclimb reflash from Speedwerx/Race Department. It was free when we did it but they may charge now. Cleans up idle/off idle running and increases overall performance.
Gripper skis. They came on it when we bought it.
Skidoo scratchers. Got tired of bending his in reverse when I am used to them on mine.
If you are dead set on spending money: Understand that a modern sled without warranty is a potential money pit. $3000-$5000 for an engine. Worn out clutches can be $1000+. Tracks on newer Doos are well over $1000.
And that is if you can get parts.
And as was said above, stay VERY clear of 2017 Skidoos. 18's were better, 19's were much better, 20's were great, 21's were amazing, 22's are absolutely the best.
Have someone who knows (as was said) look at sleds with you. Not a lot of Doos with straight front ends out there. I know a guy who got completely screwed on a 16 Pro. Guy lied about miles, he didn't know any better, he basically has a worthless blown up worn out POS now.
Chris

P
Dec 15, 2018
I get confused about this alot. The longer tracks are more friendly right? I feel like my sled is actually for a good rider who can really rip it around. It's really quick and agile. So it's hard so far fir me. I can and will keep trying but it's a bit frustrating. I can also make it a 153 for about 2k with all new parts? I have the 400 blast I got last year for my wife and it's really easy to ride and edge and I can do doughnuts and sidehill but when it's in need of power it's over. That's why I was leaning towards alpha artic cats? Other thing my 141 doesn't do to well is double and we are skiing and so that was a thought? I've done well enough to afford any snowmobile I want but iam trying not do be crazy. It's stupid that new expensive machines can be so easily broken. So guys allways talk about flickability and tractoring. Well I want more of a tractor than flicker lol. Maybe I should turbo the blast?

farmboy84

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
New Prague, MN
A shorter track isn't as forgiving but in the long run it will make you a better rider. I started off on a 136 crossover sled for the first 10 years of making trips to the mountains, it helped me learn how not to get stuck such as not parking uphill, when to turn out climbing and when to stop trenching and admit defeat! When you move on to a longer sled this is all second nature then and you'll barely be stuck. I have an uncle who moved to a 162 his second year of mountain riding and he doesn't grasp much of that, the track just save his bad decisions most of the time.
There are downsides to longer sleds too. They do not turn as well, want to push straight more. in open meadows, not a big deal, when you are in tighter trees, it is noticeable.
You're going to need to learn the same basics no matter the sled. I think your best chance is like someone said before, find a group of more experienced riders that will let you tag along, you will pick it up so much quicker than trying to learn on your own.

Premium Features