• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Shock adjustment on 11’ M8?

B
Dec 14, 2010
Recently picked up a lower mile 11’ M8 153 (not the sno pro). Really enjoyed the sled today other than my light weight body (160lbs) struggled at times to get and keep the sled on edge and side hill.

I’m still working on my riding skills but I feel like I need to soften the front preload on my ski shocks to allow me to use my little weight to get the sled on the edge and hold it easily.

Also would like to be able to lighten the ski pressure to allow for easier steering if possible.

Picture attached of the current settings of the shocks. First two pics are of the front shocks (3 1/4” of threads showing), then the front track shock (1” of threads showing) and then the rear track shock (1.5” of threads showing)

A8CEDF68-8F7C-441A-BE2E-AE6CB12CB080.jpeg 87BE5147-B91A-4453-901B-2A88565A9AAB.jpeg 584BBA38-35A1-42CD-8DB7-DC3B119F04FB.jpeg AC7628D5-2B72-48F7-B2B0-27695E187131.jpeg

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
Increase front track shock spring preload to lighten ski pressure. Decrease preload on ski shocks to lighten ski pressure.

Make one change at a time and ride it to see if it helps or not.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Front skid shock should be cranked up enough to get a lighter feeling for you. Going more will probably make it ride really harsh. You can try drilling out the hole 3/4" lower in the tunnel for the front arm mount. it's already punched in the inner doubler plate inside, just need to drill it through from inside the tunnel out.

On the front and rear end try adjusting the spring so you get about 1/4 of the travel in sag (9.2" travel on front and 17" travel rear). So that should be about 2-1/4" on the front bumper and 4-1/4" on the rear bumper. Might be hard to hit that rear sag number with the front track shock cranked so whatever you can get the rear down to as a percentage I'd try to match the front.

B
Dec 14, 2010
Hey All, I reduced the preload on the front ski shocks by 2 revolutions and tightened up the ski stance by an inch or two by placing both the spacers on the spindle on one side. I haven’t tightened up the front track shock preload yet but it’s already fairly tight as is

I’m able lay the sled over much easier but the sled is still very difficult to steer at slower speeds (even in powder). The skis are powder pros with large carbites. I’m wondering if the skis are causing the the steering to be so heavy

B
Dec 14, 2010
On a side note, the sled steers very easy when it’s on a trailer so I think the ski pressure may be ok but the skid is just really difficult to turn in the snow

J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
I have an 09 M8 with powder pros. Yes, steering is heavy at slower speeds...but everything else about those skis and set-up works really well.

Too ease the steering, do the powder pros carl's mod. Search that on google and you'll see a bunch of threads on it.

MI1M600EFI

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 15, 2008
Mancos, CO
You're on the right track. I had powder pro's on my '09 and finaly got rid of them. They will try to kill you in crusty snow!! (Darting back and forth, like death wobble on a Jeep...) Two rides where it tried to break my wrists and toss me off at lower speeds in crusty snow and I am done with them!!

I put some stock 2012 Proclimb skis on it and it's much easier to ride. My last M had stock M-series skis, and I think they were a bit better, but not enough for me to care. I bought what was cheapest on ebay. The M-skis fit better if you go looking... I think the wider Powder Pro skis make it harder for me to sidehill, as they keep the uphill ski from settling into the snow as much, which can be helpful if you're a lighter rider, as we both are.

Finally, the '09-11 M's do steer harder than earlier M-series sleds. For some reason cat shortened the steering arms in 2009. Some people have replaced the spindles with the earlier ones, which had longer steering arms, and that will reduce steering effort some too.

You can keep lowering front shock preload until the spring just starts to rattle if side hilling is all you care about... The spring rates are probably for a ~200lb rider, so you'll need to run them pretty soft...

Premium Features