• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Seeley Lake Drownings Pulled Avy air bags?

I

Impatientforsnow

Nov 29, 2007
Gods Country
http://missoulian.com/news/local/sn...cle_129467d0-4a93-5e97-bd94-81d79f4024ac.html

So? Very bad deal for these Gentlemen may they RIP:brokenheart:
in the article says they pulled there avy bags but were face down.. I always have told myself and my family if they were to go thru the ice on a lake to inflate there avy packs and this would keep them afloat..am I thinking wrong will this force there head into the water? Granted chances of swimming in all that wet gear is slime to none.. but would like some input on what you guys and gals think? what would you do and why? granted the best choice is to stay off the lakes period!!
Thanks Impatientforsnow

tjcatman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 22, 2008
Greenville Ca.
Bags

Not sure of this myself. I think it may depend on the airbag. I have Snowpulse airbags and have always thought I would pull the cord if in this situation. The Snowpulse has a full wrap around bag so my feeling is that it would work but have obviously never tried it. I would be interested to know what bag these two gentleman had. Vary sad indeed. RIP

newmy1

Lifetime Membership
Sep 3, 2008
Huskerland
I don't see how you could possible stay upright or on your back with an ABS or any of them. Good question and not something I've thought about. Seems look a good idea if you could get the pack off first but prob not if still on.

Radar78

Lifetime Membership
Aug 20, 2010
Dundurn Sask. Canada
Yes RIP boys. Very sad. I read this as well and kind of wondered the same. I guess I sort of came up with the conclusion that they probably succumbed to hypothermia and their heads went down after they perished? Not too sure.

eddy

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
Sammamish WA
Air Bags

From the article: "The men had deployed avalanche airbags, but were face down in the water."
Maybe someone, with the assistance of several other people (Including maybe a scuba unit) could do a test in a controlled swimming pool to see what really happens. It would seem unlikely you could stay on top of the bag laying on your back and indeed the bag might cause drowning. RIP and prayers for the guys who did not make it.

I

Impatientforsnow

Nov 29, 2007
Gods Country
From the article: "The men had deployed avalanche airbags, but were face down in the water."
Maybe someone, with the assistance of several other people (Including maybe a scuba unit) could do a test in a controlled swimming pool to see what really happens. It would seem unlikely you could stay on top of the bag laying on your back and indeed the bag might cause drowning. RIP and prayers for the guys who did not make it.
that would be great if these companys would step up and do some testing like this ..because I think everyone would agree that this is there plan, is to pull that bag if you fall thru the ice.. and this is what I preach and I dont want to be wrong..

srt20

Lifetime Membership
Oct 25, 2010
RIP

I will try this, but it's not going to be until this summer.

kevinm7

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2010
Spring Creek, NV
RIP to those involved. Definitely a sad situation all around.

This is just me thinking out loud.... If you were to pull your cord when in water, the most buoyant part of your body is going to float on top of the water. This would be the airbag itself. Being that your airbag is on your back (as in most styles of packs), this would force you into a face down position, putting your face into the water. Especially if there was ice. I think it would be hard to get into an upright position with an airbag inflated while on your back, in the water. Tell me if I'm wrong in this way of thinking....

tjcatman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 22, 2008
Greenville Ca.
Airbag

I agree. most bags deploy in the back, but I think the Snowpulse pack like I have may just work because of the wrap around style. I would like to test it but not sure where I could in the winter.

Premium Features