• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Search and Rescue radio channel.

A
Nov 26, 2007
Elko, NV.
I am curious as to whether or not there is a specific radio channel monitored by search and rescue in both Montana and Idaho. I've been in a few instances over the years where we have had to summon help and didn't have any cell service, someone always has to go find help. I've found that every now and then my BCA radio has some really good range. Is there a specific channel that is monitored?

TreewellDweller

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2008
McCall, Idaho
Contact your local ham radio club, or operators. I was informed once that they have dedicated a specific channel for emergencies and monitor it on a regular basis. I believe it is the frequency of the fr (family radio)channel 6. You should verify that and keep that in mind. Even though you will probably not hear them answer your call for help, they would possibly be hearing your request for assistance and could let the authorities know. Like I mentioned, verify this with your local ham operators because different areas might monitor a different channel/frequency.

03RMK800

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Kremmling, Colorado
Contact your local ham radio club, or operators. I was informed once that they have dedicated a specific channel for emergencies and monitor it on a regular basis. I believe it is the frequency of the fr (family radio)channel 6. You should verify that and keep that in mind. Even though you will probably not hear them answer your call for help, they would possibly be hearing your request for assistance and could let the authorities know. Like I mentioned, verify this with your local ham operators because different areas might monitor a different channel/frequency.
On colorado snowmobile family, there was a discussion about Wyoming riders pushing use of 307 (the WY area code). There was effort to get a consensus on a Colorado frequency.
I don’t know why no one suggested CO'S oldest area code, 303. Whatever, the idea didn’t gel.

Bowtie496

Lifetime Membership
Jun 7, 2010
Carey, ID
The vast majority of SAR units are volunteer. The radios they use are fire/law enforcement issued and on designated channels. HAM is your best route if there are repeaters in your riding areas. You can get a multi band 5 watt radio pretty cheap, you do have to be licensed to use anything over 1 watt. Someone is generally listening on the HAM channels because that user group are radio hobbyists. You can program in your local first responder channels on those radios, but you will not be able to transmit, even in an emergency. There is a built in blocker in these radios. You can listen though. Our local area in central idaho is promoting using/ scanning 9.11 on the family band channels with the hope someone could be close enough to hear a call for help. In the mountains, range is limited. Our 700 digital radios have been working pretty well though.

Pickin’ Boogers

Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2013
The vast majority of SAR units are volunteer. The radios they use are fire/law enforcement issued and on designated channels....... Our local area in central idaho is promoting using/ scanning 9.11 on the family band channels with the hope someone could be close enough to hear a call for help.
And the volunteers won't be listening unless they're called out. Supposedly quite a few regions are suggesting 9.11 now, but who is actually monitoring that channel is questionable. If there are ski areas near your riding area, lots of ski patrols are listening to 9.11. I think the best option is a dedicated satellite emergency device for external comms, and radios for internal comms (with your riding partners). If your sat device has two-way capability, you could let rescuers know what channel your radios are on - they'd be psyched to have that info.

I
Dec 16, 2022
Idaho falls
One thing to keep in mind is on the frs or gmrs radios us the “privacy code” or sub channels aren’t actually private.
Say you transmit on 9.11
If anyone is on 9 they will hear all sub channels but if they try to talk back to you, your radio will only let you hear if some one has the .11 “privacy tone”
In an emergency we recommend only using the “main” channels and no sub or privacy codes.. that way you can hear all radio traffic on that frequency.
There are sheets online for the bca to gmrs channel conversion as well
Hope this helps
Also if you have a gmrs radio that is capable of repeater use you can buy the 35.00 license from the fcc and get a call sign that lets you use local repeaters as well. There are getting to be a large group of gmrs repeaters around.
One group is the https://www.mygmrs.com/

laneends

Lifetime Membership
Sep 23, 2016
Washington
"you do have to be licensed to use anything over 1 watt"

This is false, you have to be licensed to transmit on the ham bands, EXCEPT, in an emergency.

And Idahofluke is absolutely correct about how the "privacy" codes work, better known as ctss.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
I am curious as to whether or not there is a specific radio channel monitored by search and rescue in both Montana and Idaho. I've been in a few instances over the years where we have had to summon help and didn't have any cell service, someone always has to go find help. I've found that every now and then my BCA radio has some really good range. Is there a specific channel that is monitored?
9-11

Other common channels
4-20
6-9

:ROFLMAO:

Premium Features