• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Sean Payton suspended indefinitely

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
"Saints' Sean Payton suspended for 2012 NFL season over player bounties
The NFL has ruled that New Orleans head coach Sean Payton must sit out all of next season. Gregg Williams, his former defensive coordinator and bounty instigator, is suspended indefinitely."

I was hoping for the death penalty!

This proves their Superbowl victory is meaningless.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
"With the Saints' bounty scandal coming to its conclusion on Wednesday (at least, the beginning of the conclusion), it makes sense to look back at how it started. At some point along the way, obviously, someone in the Saints organization said something to someone that maybe should've stayed in house.

Who's the rat? According to Warren Sapp, it's former Saints tight end Jeremy Shockey."

I wasn't a Shockey fan,
until now!

A
You can bet this is going on in alot of locker rooms, has been since the beginning of football, but the Saints happened to be the ones to get caught, and made an example of by the NFL.
Outrageous punishment all the way around, just to make an example.
Should there have been some kind of punishment? Sure!!
But a year suspension without pay, and loss of draft picks, and a fine of $500,000 for the team.

WAY TO MUCH!!!!!!!

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
Outrageous punishment all the way around, just to make an example.

I would bet Kurt Warner & Brett Favre would disagree with you.

It probably was more common than most would believe. Perhaps knowing that the NFL will not stand for it will change that fact.

Peyton knew better, took his chances anyway & got caught.....let him face the music.

I think the history books should now place a "*" next to the Saints superbowl hollow victory.

A
I cant figure out the connection between this and their superbowl win. Someone please enlighten me. They still made it to the superbowl, they won the superbowl. This doesnt mean they didnt play better and score more in that game, so they were superbowl champions that season

Last edited:
A
I would bet Kurt Warner & Brett Favre would disagree with you.

It probably was more common than most would believe. Perhaps knowing that the NFL will not stand for it will change that fact.

Peyton knew better, took his chances anyway & got caught.....let him face the music.

I think the history books should now place a "*" next to the Saints superbowl hollow victory.

If their line protected them better and did their job on the field then they wouldnt have anything to worry about

T

T-Bone

Nov 11, 2005
Shelby, MT
There are a lot of naive people in the sports world if they think this is the only time this sort of thing has happened. I mean really....paying players to go try to injure other players. Guys like Ray Lewis do this every play that their involved in.

N
Nov 27, 2007
Tacoma, Washington
No one knew who the rat was until Sapp opened up his big azz mouth. So did he rat on a rat?!! Doesnt that make him a rat? Ha! JK-

So are we going to see law suits from former players against the NFL/Saints for hits that the Saints took on them that caused injury? This is going to get interesting....

"With the Saints' bounty scandal coming to its conclusion on Wednesday (at least, the beginning of the conclusion), it makes sense to look back at how it started. At some point along the way, obviously, someone in the Saints organization said something to someone that maybe should've stayed in house.

Who's the rat? According to Warren Sapp, it's former Saints tight end Jeremy Shockey."

I wasn't a Shockey fan,
until now!

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
I cant figure out the connection between this and their superbowl win. Someone please enlighten me. They still made it to the superbowl, they won the superbowl. This doesnt mean they didnt play better and score more in that game, so they were superbowl champions that season

You can't figure out the connection? Let's make it easy for you. They payed players to injure the competition. Is that easy enough or do I need to continue? Hint: Injured players=handicap=easier for Saints to win unfairly.

go high fast

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 7, 2008
Missoula MT
way way way overboard on the punishment. If he digs deep enough he'll discover he has to suspend coachs on every team in the league.

There are refs to police any illegal hits and if I'm not mistaken there are recent rules designed to protect the pretty boys from having a finger laid on them. Now political correctness strikes a 2nd serious blow to the NFL. I'm not sure how the NFL determines the future of the Commissioner but if the owners have anything to do with it I hope they put a bounty on him.

I suspect this is the tip of the iceberg.

As Goodell turns his attention to punishing players, if there are any ex linebackers out there that now work for the NFL or represent the Commissioners Office in some capacity the Players Union should do some of thier own investigating starting with those guys.

Last edited:

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
I too thought it was too stiff of a penalty because you can bet every team is doing this to some extent. The problem with the Saints is the TEAM was funding this. In most other organizations, players are funding everything. The Saints were also told twice by the NFL to stop whatever it is they are doing, they are getting reports and they need to put an end to this. This happened two year ago and again last year. They continued and this is what happens. The penalty for bounties is too much, the fact that the NFL gave them a chance to end it silently and they continued is just stupid on them.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
First let me admit I am biased.
I am a Viking fan.
Anyone who watched that game knew they were going after Favre, not to sack him, but to take him out.
That type of playing ultimately won the game for them & got them to the Superbowl where they easily handled the Colts.

So in my eyes, the malicious hits which intended injury costs the Vikings that game and in the end a World Championship.
We all know that opportunity doesn't come around very often.
Especially for us Viking fans!

In that light, I think the punishment is appropriate.

milehighassassin

Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
They are always trying to take out the QB, that will never change. You guys got outplayed.

Are you seriously claiming you lost the championship because of this bounty? That's pretty funny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
They are always trying to take out the QB, that will never change. You guys got outplayed.

Are you seriously claiming you lost the championship because of this bounty? That's pretty funny.

Sent from my gay iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually what is funny is all the people with sand in their vagina because Peyton was caught & punished. What did you expect....A slap on the wrist?
That's funny!

S
Jun 11, 2006
Graham, Wa
I dont know enough about football to know what the hell is going on....

a good friend of mine played for the Colts and the Rams. he was a beast.

T

T-Bone

Nov 11, 2005
Shelby, MT
First let me admit I am biased.
I am a Viking fan.
Anyone who watched that game knew they were going after Favre, not to sack him, but to take him out.
That type of playing ultimately won the game for them & got them to the Superbowl where they easily handled the Colts.

So in my eyes, the malicious hits which intended injury costs the Vikings that game and in the end a World Championship.
As a packers fan, let me tell you. You had Brett Favre as your quarterback...you weren't going to be winning any championships. The guy would have choked when you were counting on him most. Believe me, I've been there.

milehighassassin

Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
Actually what is funny is all the people with sand in their vagina because Peyton was caught & punished. What did you expect....A slap on the wrist?
That's funny!

I could care less about Payton. I'm not Saints fan, but they outplayed the Vikings bottom line. They deserved it that year.

I can promise you that EVERY team in the NFL has a bounty program taking place in the locker room, the difference is the SAINTS organization funded it. In a regular locker room the players fund it.

Premium Features