• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Savage snow bike kits?

A
Jul 22, 2016
Has anyone actually used one? I'm from the Midwest, flatter ground, fell in love with the concept of a snow bike since I first saw one several years ago, but never got one since I know the type of riding I do wouldn't suit a timbersled or camso. I ride with sleds and I need speed to keep up. These kits would be useless in the deep stuff but for trails and track they look FAST. The only place I can find any video of them is Savage snow bikes Instagram account which are like 20 second clips (why I'm hesitant to drop 4k on a kit) but there are a handful of vidoes with timbersled and Savage kits on the track and the Savage kits are flying by the timbersleds like they aren't even moving. Plus quite a few clips of these kits on fields and trails just rippin. So what does everyone think about them? Anyone know first hand? Thanks in advance

D
Mar 29, 2010
I raced against a couple guys on these kits, and wouldn’t say they are any faster than any of the other brands. I would say their biggest advantage is that they weigh less.

Bottom line is sleds and bikes don’t mix. Without regearing the kit, max speed on a road legal bike like a 500 exc is a bit more than 50mph. Depending on your state/province, bikes might also be illegal to ride on sled trails. Most people hate trail riding, but my bike is setup really well for it. I have a blast riding tight and twisty two track, but wide open straight trails are painfully boring.

I don’t know where in the Midwest you are, but I’d say most snowbikers would either ride in the UP area, or make trips west. In that case you would want a kit for deep snow.

A
Jul 22, 2016
I appreciate the reply. It's hard to believe the reduced weight and reduced drag from the narrower track wouldn't translate to more power being delivered, which is why I was leaning toward them. And yeah really wide open straight trails are boring even on sled. What do you have for a bike that is set up well for trails? If I might ask

And yeah on the snowmobile trails it is illegal to ride a bike on but I live in a sparsely populated area, in 10 years of riding I've never even seen a dnr officer on the trails outside of big ride events, I'm just not that concerned about getting a ticket I guess.

Last edited:

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Probably the main reason savage doesn’t get much press is because the other mfg got scared savage would clear out the field in snocross. (Savage snowbikes are effectively banned from X games due to the 10” minimum track width requirement)

If i lived in the midwest it would be the track to have.

dirtrebel

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2008
Bozeman, MT
I made one and ripped it almost 10 years ago, handled great and hauled ass! Obviously the bike was a pos, but man it was fun! works good on super hard snow or less than a foot of soft, I wouldn't hesitate to rip one if I was in flatlands! Back then it was the snowxcycle we copied, got us hooked on snow bikes for sure! I don't know if id pay 4k for one when a timbersled or other kit can be had for less than that, but they look fun!

picture.php

picture.php

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
Those things were horrible in any amount of snow -- constant stuck fest that is why they never caught on. A decent track might fix that a little bit. A good hard 2.5 inch paddle may help and a proper ski with carbide runners all around.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Those things were horrible in any amount of snow -- constant stuck fest that is why they never caught on. A decent track might fix that a little bit. A good hard 2.5 inch paddle may help and a proper ski with carbide runners all around.

You are talking the snowtercycle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
Dont quote me on the Name , was the exact same design that fit inside the swingarm.

He brought it to arctic man around the same time 2 Moto was the one to have.

Neither one worked well in the snow.

He took on a dealership bought 5 units and lost his shirt on them could not sell a single one once people got stuck left right and centre with them.

I have had a Savage kit for 3 seasons now and live in the flatlands of southern Ontario. I’m a 40 year old intermediate rider who races enduro and the occasional moto. I raced the savage a few times here in the CSRA series (I was the guy getting lapped by everyone else!). I have also rode the Mototrax kit. Weight is definitely the biggest difference between those two. Also the thinner track on the Savage makes it feel more like a bike whereas the wider track wants to stand up more in marginal snow conditions. My two cents is this; in snow depths above 2-3’ go with the wider footprint but anything less or riding on a track I would go with the Savage.

Premium Features