• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Rough Idle

Adam12

Lifetime Membership
Apr 16, 2014
Sisters, OR
My idle seems to be a little off this year on my 2018. The other day I noticed it would bounce around 1100-1250 and occasionally drop to 800 or even 0 for a second then back up. At first, I thought maybe I'm just feeling it a little more due to the 19 motor mounts. I haven't pulled the plugs yet but they are new with only 2 rides on them. It's my understanding you don't need to gap the plugs as they come ready to go. Anyone experience something similar?

Adam12

Lifetime Membership
Apr 16, 2014
Sisters, OR
Indexing is likely the problem. The manual doesn't say much about plugs other than pushing you toward the dealer doing it. Thank you!

idahoskiguy

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
Boise, ID
If still under warranty just bite the bullet and take it to the dealer.

The other route is to pull off the cowling index the plugs and start checking ALL sensors and electrical connections. Is the exhaust sensor in place and properly grounded?

Is the fuel fresh? Or still the crap that sat there all summer?

Good luck and report back what you find.

Adam12

Lifetime Membership
Apr 16, 2014
Sisters, OR
I won't be able to dig into it until Wed. I use non-ethanol 91 but it did sit all summer. It runs really well when on the throttle just the idle is a little strange. I'll have a look at the indexing and report back what I find. I check most everything before the season starts (connections, exhaust sensor, etc) but was unaware of the indexing.

Adam12

Lifetime Membership
Apr 16, 2014
Sisters, OR
I had a chance to dig into this today and indexing seemed to be the culprit. I pulled the plugs, marked the strap on the ceramic and reinstalled making sure the marks were focused aft. Fired it up and let it warm a couple of bars. Idle sounded much stronger and never dipped below 1100. Thanks for the help!

Adam12

Lifetime Membership
Apr 16, 2014
Sisters, OR
I wanted to followup since I had a chance to ride today. Indexing was definitely the culprit. The sled ran great all day today and idle never dropped below 1150. Thanks for the help!

Premium Features