• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Rolling your sled in and out of your garage?

F

FCR112

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Feb 1, 2008
I want to load and unload well outside the garage and have a rough driveway. Which sled dolly or 3 piece wheel set is the best if you have a big ole gap or crack in the concrete to roll over?

T

thinksnow

Nov 26, 2007
DICKINSON, ND
Not sure if you have the time to make one, but they are easy to make if you have some extra boggie wheels laying around. I had an older junked parts sled that I took all the suspension wheels off of and scrapped the rest.

I got a couple pieces of 8" wide thin channel iron and bolted two wheels on each side. They are about 10" long. I put a piece of coated cable from one side to the other to put over the ski loop and it hooks around the spindle. Just slide them over the skis and tight up to the spindle and now I can drive my sled around. I unload in the street and drive up my driveway and into the garage. I have even used them to drive across a parking lot and into the shop at the dealer.

Maybe this isn't what you are looking for, but it may help some others out.

D

Dmill

Sep 14, 2009
great falls / snow slip inn
go to your hardware store.. buy grade 8 5/8 bolts or smaller depending on your spindle... 2 wheel barrel wheels with bearing.. locks nuts and washers and spacers... put wheels on the front.. works amazing in the summer for moving it around.

F

FCR112

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Feb 1, 2008
go to your hardware store.. buy grade 8 5/8 bolts or smaller depending on your spindle... 2 wheel barrel wheels with bearing.. locks nuts and washers and spacers... put wheels on the front.. works amazing in the summer for moving it around.

If I did that I would put another couple hundred miles on in the off season;)

F

FCR112

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Feb 1, 2008
I have a set of these - http://www.suregripdollies.com/ and they work great, not cheap though.

Those look really good except for the part where you cant push the sled sideways in the shop. Steering with the ski's is a pain at times when compared to being able to castor straight sideways.

I was hoping somebody knew of something like those that are actually on castors. Maybe it's time to make them myself?

D

DoubleP

Aug 18, 2010
Calgary, AB
They are a little challenging to move in the garage or shop but do work well for a summer rip! Maybe you could order the package without the wheels and add castors... Good luck!

jakey-boy

Lifetime Membership
Jan 10, 2009
Idaho Falls
instagram.com
Dang so you do still need wheels with the pro? I was under the impression when I ordered mine that I would be able to sling it over my shoulder and just carry it out to the trailer in the morning?! I am a little disappointed now. :face-icon-small-ton

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
Not woth the time to buy the sure dollys

Thease are not worth the money- I was loading this spring and went around the block with the sled and one of the push nuts came off ruined the wheel oblonged the axle.. I tried to claim it on warrenty and was told I was driving to fast!!:kev:

WTF I was doing less than 5 MPH- so all in all they DO-NOT stand behind their product, I would stay away for sure

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
I have a set of these - http://www.suregripdollies.com/ and they work great, not cheap though.

X2 on these!

I have a set and love them. As far as moving sideways, it really only comes into play if you have a small garage or a really tight area to get into. Otherwise, between the rotating track dolly and steering the front you can get into most places. You just have to get use to them and plan your moves a little more.

I use to have the standard wheels with the rotating casters, and yes they allow you to move the sled sideways, but they don't stay on the best and you cannot drive the sled.

Summitseeker

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2001
British Columbia
I just bought a set of sure grip dollies from the snow show this weekend for $79.50. I used them last night for the first time and was definitely impressed!

However....if you want something that will work in rough terrain, these look awesome! $600.00 a set though which is is a bit crazy IMO. I saw a guy at the show booting around with them and they looked good!

From Timbersled http://www.timbersled.com/allterrain.htm

Thistledoo

Lifetime Membership
I just bought a set of sure grip dollies from the snow show this weekend for $79.50. I used them last night for the first time and was definitely impressed!

However....if you want something that will work in rough terrain, these look awesome! $600.00 a set though which is is a bit crazy IMO. I saw a guy at the show booting around with them and they looked good!

the new dollies musta came pre assembled??:face-icon-small-ton:face-icon-small-sho:face-icon-small-hap

F

FCR112

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Feb 1, 2008

Yeah... those timbersled guys are outta their minds on that one, and holy schnikes the Rockies west of Lethbridge looked mighty white and rideable today!

Last edited:

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
Thease are not worth the money- I was loading this spring and went around the block with the sled and one of the push nuts came off ruined the wheel oblonged the axle.. I tried to claim it on warrenty and was told I was driving to fast!!:kev:

WTF I was doing less than 5 MPH- so all in all they DO-NOT stand behind their product, I would stay away for sure

Same problem on mine.....so I took the wheels off and got out the thread and die set and fixed that problem........

Now they are good up to 60 mph.........:face-icon-small-win

Premium Features