• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Riot long arm clearance issue

J
Jan 10, 2017
Hi!
Wanted to share this, so you can be aware of this and check your kits!

So, after few rides, there is marks in long arm, hitting to lower front suspension tube, when suspension bottoms out. Looks like this could really make bad damage over time, or once it bottoms out hard.

You see the problem, if you take shocks off and lift front of the rails all the way up. In my kit, long arm hits one of the cross tubes on the rails. Front bottoming rubber did not even touch anything there!

I did wonder this when checking things in this brand new kit before season started and asked what do Timbersled think. They said long arm is not going to hit or make an issue when shocks are attached.

But now, Timbersled have updated MUCH thicker front bottom out rubber to solve this problem. Make sure you have these!

20200206_181653.jpg 20200205_162255.jpg 20200205_162303.jpg

E
Dec 19, 2007
I stared at that for over an hour when I first got the kit because it didn't look right. But I figured they knew what they were doing and ive been riding the piss out of it 3 days a week since october. Everything seems fine. And I have the crappy shocks. My lower front shock mount is shedding paint off the welds but it didn't crack yet. Catsledman had a crack there on his.

Is the bumper update free? Those are Much thicker seems like a pretty gross error if it there really is an interference issue. I could guess it's worse when ice builds up on the metal parts too.

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
There is no fix for that design until they change that design . Love the oversized bottom stop , that's classic . If they said that it wouldn't do that with the shocks they were either telling a fib or didn't know better , hard to believe . If the shocks could stop that from actually happening than you might as well kiss those shocks good bye .or have good bump stops on the shocks .

E
Dec 19, 2007
The snow is getting a good solid but soft base finally do I've been going bigair like a teenager on my riot lately. I still have no marks from long arm bottoming out on metal anywhere. Are you sure it wasn't just crushing ice chunks that made the marks?

G-Force

Lifetime Membership
Nov 21, 2002
Kamloops BC
Mine is showing the same witness marks, and I'm riding like a softie, trying to learn the bike vs the 37 years of sledding lol..
Also curious if the taller bump stops are an update?

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
When I asked at the local TS dealer..........never heard of a problem. I put in the taller rubber as a precaution, yes the bottom of my arms show marks. I put taller rubbers from 2019 Polaris, not right but made them work. So far, three day long rides ? No difference that I can tell. I'm running stiffer springs than stock, but there are times it bottoms. I don't jump off things on purpose. Seems though that those abrupt transitions coming off a steep bank onto a road, or going through stiff wind drifts, I bottom that front of the rail.

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
I just checked again last night. No marks. I have definitely bottomed out my suspension many times.

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
I just checked again last night. No marks. I have definitely bottomed out my suspension many times.
Just went and looked a little closer in better light. I have just the smallest mark on one side only. Definitely making a little contact.

Fwd55

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2015
Laval , Qc , Canada
Hi!
Wanted to share this, so you can be aware of this and check your kits!

So, after few rides, there is marks in long arm, hitting to lower front suspension tube, when suspension bottoms out. Looks like this could really make bad damage over time, or once it bottoms out hard.

You see the problem, if you take shocks off and lift front of the rails all the way up. In my kit, long arm hits one of the cross tubes on the rails. Front bottoming rubber did not even touch anything there!

I did wonder this when checking things in this brand new kit before season started and asked what do Timbersled think. They said long arm is not going to hit or make an issue when shocks are attached.

But now, Timbersled have updated MUCH thicker front bottom out rubber to solve this problem. Make sure you have these!
i will check with my dealer to get these new rubber , can you tell the part number ? thanks

Fwd55

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2015
Laval , Qc , Canada
When I asked at the local TS dealer..........never heard of a problem. I put in the taller rubber as a precaution, yes the bottom of my arms show marks. I put taller rubbers from 2019 Polaris, not right but made them work. So far, three day long rides ? No difference that I can tell. I'm running stiffer springs than stock, but there are times it bottoms. I don't jump off things on purpose. Seems though that those abrupt transitions coming off a steep bank onto a road, or going through stiff wind drifts, I bottom that front of the rail.
CATSLEDMAN1 would you have the part number for those thicker rubber ?

Fwd55

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2015
Laval , Qc , Canada
Didn't save the package, I just walked over to a brandnew Polaris big azz track mtn sled, and said, hey those will work. Ones off the front of the rails.
thanks , i found part no 5810554 , just order a set will see , i ask the cleck for the new riot bumper , he seem a bit comfuse but then told me any rubber for the riot are B.O. until end of march

E
Dec 19, 2007
Don't have a panic attack over it if they are back ordered, nothing will actually break. I've got close to 2000 miles on mine already and have not been friendly to it. I suspect the marks are from crushing ice in between the parts but I will be taking mine apart soon to try a long track riot and I will test for actual contact.

Premium Features