• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Returning to snowmobiling and looking for some advice

H
Mar 27, 2015
I purchased a 2015 Switchback Assault 600 144 with 1.35 cobra track. I won't be able to ride it until next year now that the snow is almost gone. Wondering if anyone the has one recommendations regarding setup on it. For one I have little knowledge on the WE shocks and question whether they will need some fine tuning? Also anything else equipment or gear wise. I would rather skip the learning curve associated with getting back into something I haven't done in 15 years. Any advised would be appreciated!

B

Bedhead

Jan 3, 2015
Central MN
Maybe help us out and tell us a little about how/where you plan to ride? I dont usually spend a ton of money on upgraded suspension, so I liked the WE adjustable shocks on that sled, couple clicks less for trail, a few more clicks for ditch banging!

H
Mar 27, 2015
I ride on the trails mostly now but plan on seeing how well this sled can go off trail. I bought the crossover style sled to be able to get off trail and explore. When I ride trails I am not a speed demon as I usually have my son with me. I do enjoy small jumps. Basically I bought a sled that I believe can do well on trail and off and am looking to really spend a lot time on this machine next year. I would like to get comfortable and be able to push myself skill wise. I hope that helps. People on these sight say that you have to set shocks to riding condition, driver weight etc. this is something I have never had to think about. Thanks for the help.

B

Bedhead

Jan 3, 2015
Central MN
In my experience the Switchback Assault is not as sensitive to correct suspension setup as the Rush style rear suspension is. The manual should tell you how to set the springs for your weight, and your done. Then with the nice knobs on those shocks you can fine tune the ride. Other than storage options, which are indivdual prefrence, just ride it. It already has a great stock setup for what you are going to do with it. I think it was a good choice.

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
Need to tell everyone where you're riding.
A 144 sled is plenty of track for riding in the powder, but a short lug Cobra track is seriously lacking in the traction dept off trail.
Your sled is a new enough, excellent chassis that you don't need to mod a thing there except set your shocks and springs for your weight and preference.
If it was my sled, I'd lose the trail track asap, get some ice scratchers and throw a 2" + paddle track on it. Move the ski position inboard to narrow up the stance a bit and go ride the snot out of it.

xcmark

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Mass-hole
I ride on the trails mostly now but plan on seeing how well this sled can go off trail. I bought the crossover style sled to be able to get off trail and explore. When I ride trails I am not a speed demon as I usually have my son with me. I do enjoy small jumps. Basically I bought a sled that I believe can do well on trail and off and am looking to really spend a lot time on this machine next year. I would like to get comfortable and be able to push myself skill wise. I hope that helps. People on these sight say that you have to set shocks to riding condition, driver weight etc. this is something I have never had to think about. Thanks for the help.

HardCoresleder.com has a very active Polaris Assault group , I would post this topic over on that site.

Reguarding your top:

the front skis shocks are close to good box stock , run the clicker around 5 should work if your around 200lbs.

The skid is set up WAY to soft springs and shock if your over 160 lbs so that maybe a issue. I would pull the shocks out and give Mark Paaso Raceing in Maine. He has several Assaults that he has worked out the shock valveing so its good for a cross over that can be pounded but still has some ride quality. Of trail the skid shocks are fine but on hard pack its really easy to bottom out the stock skid. You can NOT run these shocks turned up full stiff it will destroy the shock.!

H
Mar 27, 2015
I will be riding in the west half of the upper peninsula and maybe northern Wisconsin. I did not realize there is a section for Polaris assault, thanks! All very good advice. I do not intend to upgrade shocks at this time as I think they will be fine for me. I do want to make sure they are set right. I am 185 lbs with gear a little more.

H
Mar 27, 2015
Regarding the track I couldn't agree more. I got such a deal on the sled i had to buy it. The only thing I wanted different was a 2.0 track. It was already at the shop so it was as is. Track will be great on trail but obviously not perform as well off trail. I will make that decision next year if it becomes an issue.

B

Bedhead

Jan 3, 2015
Central MN
The cobra track has always been my favorite track for U.P. riding. Handles the trail well and is tough as nails for the hidden things under the snow, and digs well too. To each his own but dont count that stock track out till you put some miles on it. Waist deep U.P. powder last year was no problem for our 141 crossfire with the cobra.

H
Mar 27, 2015
That's good to hear! As I said the sled was such a good deal that 1.3 inch track was not that big of a deal. This is going to be such a step up from the 17 year old sled I currently drive. Thanks for input.

xcmark

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Mass-hole
The cobra track has always been my favorite track for U.P. riding. Handles the trail well and is tough as nails for the hidden things under the snow, and digs well too. To each his own but dont count that stock track out till you put some miles on it. Waist deep U.P. powder last year was no problem for our 141 crossfire with the cobra.

The cobra is the jack of all trades , its much better off trail when compared to the ripsaw . I found my 144 cobra to handle my off trail adventure reasonable well , 3~4 ft of soft snow and breaking trail wasn't a problem even up hills. Dont want to stop on a up hill climb but other then that it was good.

H
Mar 27, 2015
Thanks for the info on the cobra track. I picked up my sled today. Took it for one lap around the yard before putting it in the garage. I am impressed with the power it has. Hard to believe there is a 600 under the hood. I am as excited as a little kid. 8 more months and it's playtime!

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
Congrats on the new sno machine.
If you're riding in the Midwest, I wouldn't mess with a powder track unless you want more after riding it a while. If nothing else, it will make you a better rider in the powder before getting the crutch of a big lug track. So much trail riding and a lot of low snow conditions compared to the mountains, you'll be fine.
The big lugs will not help your traction on hard/ice, lower your top end speed and cost you more at the pump and re-clutching as well.
I used to rail a ZRT and ZR with 121 trail tracks studded up through most every condition in N WI and the UP for years. You have twice the track under you already. Let er rip and save your $$ for gas!

As far as gear goes, drop any notion of a full face helmet and the heavy insulated gear you've had hanging in the closet for the last 15 years. MX helmet with a breath deflector and a good durable shell and some layers is where it's at...lol. For cold weather riding, the Motorfist helmets have the best breath deflector/face mask I've seen or used. Also a very light weight helmet. Downside is IMO the durability of them is not very good.

Last edited:
H
Mar 27, 2015
Az800 I was going to choose a mx style-509 altitude because I have heard their goggles seal well. Also contemplating a modular. I bought new FXR helmets for my kids. One has a shield and one needs goggles. The fxr with goggles doesn't get a tight fit and my son got minor frostbite on his nose. He didn't complain but that doesn't appeal to me. As far as clothes, I like Klim but am having a hard time with the price.

H
Mar 27, 2015
Thanks! These machines have come a long way. It's hard to believe they just keep getting better. I still remember riding a relatives new 82 jag and thinking it was a nice machine! Then when we got a 93 cat I thought the other one was like riding a sheet of plywood. I tapped the throttle on the 15 today and couldn't believe the throttle response. At first I was kind of nervous and then I just smiled and couldn't stop smiling.

Premium Features