• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Registration Sticker placement?

Yamadoo04

Premium Member
Oct 4, 2005
Herriman, Utah
www.youtube.com
Yeah I find it hard to believe they gave a ticket unless they saw you with the sleds off the trailer. Or maybe there was proof the sleds were in the snow and had been off the trailer already. My buddy used to not register his a few years ago ( now he does) and the cops stopped us in the parking lot before we unloaded. They said we can go ride doubles on my sled for the day or go home or the last option was to write my buddy a ticket and we could go ride. They said as soon as the unregistered sled hits the ground they could write him a ticket. They would not give a ticket if we left the sled on the trailer and did not ride it. My buddy ended up with a ticket so we could go ride. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtncat1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 19, 2008
south jordan ut.
we were going to ride snake creek on the heber side as we drove past the golf course we saw the rangers sitting in a parking lot talking, we drove to the trail head and were still on the main road when the rangers blocked us in with lights on. we had covers on the two un registered sleds and on cover on the sled with tags on it. when he said he was going to ticket us I asked him if he could because we weren't even in the parking lot yet. that's when he told me about then transport law thing , it even said on the ticket transporting sled without registration . believe it it happened. these guys are unreal,they would let us unload and threatened another citation if we did. I would not be surprised if the try to pass a law to put registration numbers on our sleds to.

mtncat1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 19, 2008
south jordan ut.
it is true you don't need tags on private property , that's why they cam out with the transport law, my son also got ticketed for unregistered bike at little sahara a few years . they were going through the pay station on that one . I rode without licensing for many years but they have been much tougher the last few. so its not wroth it any more.

Yamadoo04

Premium Member
Oct 4, 2005
Herriman, Utah
www.youtube.com
That is total BS. Can they pull you over for that though. I would think that is a law that they could not pull you over for but only write you up after they pull you over for something else. Like the seat belt law used to be. So if I have an enclosed trailer can they pull me over to check my tags? I think that's BS

B
Sep 19, 2010
Utah/South Dakota
I would have made them look it up and show it to me! Then contest in in court if they chose to write a citation!
So let's just say for sake of argument that I take my unregistered off road vehicle, which only gets used on my property, in for some service work. What you are telling me is that they can write me a ticket? Now I really want to see how this law is written, because if true this is total BS!

mtncat1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 19, 2008
south jordan ut.
they can pull you over, because it's a primary violation, but if you have an enclosed they have to have probable cause to look in it. I personally think they shouldn't be able to lift your cover with out cause. but what do you do. I don't think any normal cop city or state would ever pull some one over for this b/s, I would put nothing past these guy's. one time my friend got pinched at radio tower for no tags, and they gave him a bunch of crap cause he wasn't carrying his ld. like phatty said there like roaches.

mtncat1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 19, 2008
south jordan ut.
I would have made them look it up and show it to me! Then contest in in court if they chose to write a citation!
So let's just say for sake of argument that I take my unregistered off road vehicle, which only gets used on my property, in for some service work. What you are telling me is that they can write me a ticket? Now I really want to see how this law is written, because if true this is total BS!

yes that how they wrote the law so say you buy a used sled and take it home you are in violation of the law. as far as challenging then at the stop it depends on how much sh!!t your ready for. I went to the judge in heber and told the story and he let me off for a 30.00 dollar fine. so I had the impression he (the judge)had seen a little to much of this kind of crap.

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
I foresee becoming a very unpopular person with this thread but I will give my opinion anyway as one of those officers who has to enforce snowmobile registration laws. Why should a snowmobile be exempt from having to display a registration decal when it is required on almost every other motorized form of recreation vehicle or transportation. Our pickups require at least 1 license plate (depending on the state) to be bolted to the bumper. We cannot just carry them in a glove box. Boats require to have both numbers and a validation decal on each side in a specified location and a specified size and style of numbers. most states require either a registration decal or license plate for ATV's operated on public lands or roads. I can understand the inconvenience of placing a decal on a sled hard earned money has been spent to wrap the sled but the decal has to go somewhere depending on the requirements of your state. South Dakota requires SD registration decals be placed on the hood under the windshield. Now with the design of the new sleds the definition of the hood may not fit the current law but as long as the SD decal is somewhere visible on both sides of the front half of the sled I am good with it. As far as the VIN being covered with the wrap SD considers tampering with the VIN a felony but I believe covering the VIN with the wrap is not a permanent altercation and an altered VIN charge would be a stretch. However your state may see it differently. Covering the VIN does present other issues. If you are carrying your registration in your pocket and forget it at home (I see that often) it would be very difficult for the officer verify the sled had been registered. Being able to read the VIN may save you from wrongly receiving a ticket. Also by allowing snowmobilers to cover their VIN it would be much easier for a thief to hide a stolen snowmobile especially if Law Enforcement only relied on a removable VIN decal to ID a snowmobile. I however do not agree with laws requiring sleds to be licensed upon transport on trailers. SD requires registration to operate a snowmobile except on a persons own lands. Before throwing stones at me I do own several snowmobiles, a ATV, and a boat. Also I do know what it feels like to receive a ticket for an unlicensed snowmobile since I was ticketed at the age of 19.

mtncat1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 19, 2008
south jordan ut.
I don't want to come across as a scofflaw but in ut. taxes on vehicles are very high ie. I paid over 300 dollars per year for my boat registration alonr plus more to license the trailer it sits on, so far since i'v owned it that's the lowest I've paid. plus the taxes keep piling up. so because of that paid games trying not to pay taxes for several years. my ideal would be for the fees and taxes be to lower to encourage more people follow the law. I've since gotten tired of looking over my shoulder so I decided to go legit. but members of law enforcement also don't have to over zealous with enforcement . you sound like a reasonable person and I guess I'd just like some different approaches to the problem .

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
I don't want to come across as a scofflaw but in ut. taxes on vehicles are very high ie. I paid over 300 dollars per year for my boat registration alonr plus more to license the trailer it sits on, so far since i'v owned it that's the lowest I've paid. plus the taxes keep piling up. so because of that paid games trying not to pay taxes for several years. my ideal would be for the fees and taxes be to lower to encourage more people follow the law. I've since gotten tired of looking over my shoulder so I decided to go legit. but members of law enforcement also don't have to over zealous with enforcement . you sound like a reasonable person and I guess I'd just like some different approaches to the problem .

Sounds like you should move to a different State. You pay almost $100 more to register your boat than I pay to register my pickup, wife's van, camper, ATV, utility trailer, boat, boat trailer, and 4 snowmobiles. I does make a difference that all my stuff is 13-48 years old. The downside is my salary is half of officers in many other states and federal agencies. As law enforcement officers we have no control on how much a person has to pay for registration fees or taxes (we have to pay then too). But our job requires us to enforce those laws even though we may not always agree with them. We have to make a decision to enforce those laws fairly or decide on a different career.

B
Sep 19, 2010
Utah/South Dakota
Sounds like you should move to a different State. You pay almost $100 more to register your boat than I pay to register my pickup, wife's van, camper, ATV, utility trailer, boat, boat trailer, and 4 snowmobiles. I does make a difference that all my stuff is 13-48 years old. The downside is my salary is half of officers in many other states and federal agencies. As law enforcement officers we have no control on how much a person has to pay for registration fees or taxes (we have to pay then too). But our job requires us to enforce those laws even though we may not always agree with them. We have to make a decision to enforce those laws fairly or decide on a different career.

And that is why I am keeping my SD residency (I own property there) and vehicles tagged there! Funny thing is, the UT DNR guy told me that the state generates more revenue for trail maintenance from out of state tags then they do from in state registration!
On the flip side, there is no tag required in UT for a 2 wheeled trailer under 750lbs.

newmy1

Lifetime Membership
Sep 3, 2008
Huskerland
So do you donate to S&R directly?

They cannot look under your cover unless they have a search warrant. I was in law enforcement. Now that I am separated from it I can stand back and see all the bullchit.

I know this is just a registration issue, but law enforcement is too far reaching and they need to take a step back from our lives. Your quote is spot on these days. The presence of police is usually not good. It is really sad. They are not out to "serve" anymore. They are out for revenue.

Yamadoo04

Premium Member
Oct 4, 2005
Herriman, Utah
www.youtube.com
So I talked to two DNR guys up at Wolf Creek pass today and they were really cool about it. Thanks guys! I just had my stickers and registration in my pack and showed it to them. They both completely understand not wanting to put the sticker on the tunnel with the wrap. They also said they would not cite someone for putting the sticker on the inside of the panel as long as the vin # matches what is on the registration. But he did say it all depends on what kind of mood the guy is in at the time. While the sticker does not say it needs to be on the outside of the sled one guy did say the sticker needs to be visible from 100 feet away. Which is fine but today the sticker on my buddies sled was completely covered by snow so we had to kick off the snow to show it to them anyway. So I asked him what's the difference? He just said well it would be visible if there was no snow on it. He did say he would not give me a ticket but just be prepared to be stopped and talked about it a lot. I guess after talking to them I have decided to put it on the inside of the side panel. They are going to stop and talk to me anyway and I don't have a problem with that and will just be cool about it and see how it goes.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
A guy I ride with puts his stickers on the inside of the tunnel...sort of pisses off the Forest Service Cop, but are fully visible by rolling up the sled.
I put mine on the bulkhead behind the front shocks.

M

MPS

So do you donate to S&R directly?

Good question, even though I know the tone of it since it is coming from you. Yes I do. I ride primarily in one area. Instead of paying 33 bucks and giving the corporation their revenue and .50 to 1 dollar towards S and R... I stop by the sheriffs office every year and give them a donation. They actually have a can in the office. I have even told them I refuse to pay the registration to ride in that area. I ride on private property first to get to my area. That is the only place i rode last year. Also, I have yet to see a snow cop to have the necessary skills to catch me in the backcountry.
;)
If I go to an area that has groomed trails I will buy the tag since the government is giving me a service.

A few years back some a$$hole forest service guys caught us crossing state lines in the backcountry. We had entered the area by ungroomed trail in Idaho. None of us had Montana stickers. I took off. Bye a$$holes. A couple guys on here choose to take the BS ticket. The same year I came across another forest service douche that had crossed into Wyoming, but he (forest ranger) only had an Idaho sticker. I confronted him, guess what his answer was?

The SD cop can choose not to enforce BS registration laws. However, it gives him a job. I went after real criminals when in law enforcement. Im not saying he doesnt. However, by enforcing petty registration laws it takes LE away from real criminal activity. I didnt pester good people with petty registration bullchit. Do you feel like your making a difference SD cop when ya enforce registration? You're just a tool for the revenue corporation. You aren't fighting evil or putting away bad guys by enforcing registration. Is that why you got into law enforcement? To collect revenue?

We can all fight BS registration laws by finding people not guilty when you get on a jury. Take your charge all the way to trial. I guarantee the prosecutor will drop it. They don't want to spend money on a trial of that nature. However most people don't want to stand up for principles these days. They would rather pay the ticket than be inconvenienced. That is why our country is in the condition it is in. Most will comply with Obamacare since they don't want to be inconvenienced, therefore the fascist state continues to get stronger because people don't want to be inconvenienced. Comply comply comply

I can understand registering vehicles that travel on public roads as they can be used in criminal activity and they need to be identified quickly. Highways and roads need to be constructed. Traffic laws need to be enforced to save lives by preventing accidents.

Why is it essential for off road vehicles to be registered? There is NO reason other than more taxation without representation. PERIOD

Last edited:

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
I agree enforcing registration laws is not a priority when other criminal activity requires attention. I place my priorities as a natural resource law enforcement officer as follows:
1. Protect the people from others
2. Protect the people from the resource
3. Protect the resource from the people
4. Maintain a stable revenue source
I also agree that the number and severity of crimes I deal with are not comparable to other municipal and county agencies but I do serve a purpose for our parks, trails and public lands. Enforcing registration laws is only a part of what I do while doing snowmobile enforcement. I also respond to search and rescue calls, investigate accidents, respond to trespass complaints, and assist other law enforcement agency needs that require a snowmobile. In our parks I enforce the various park regulations as well as deal with drunk and disorderly persons, DUI's, BUI's, domestic assaults, vandalism, thefts of personal property as well as providing backup for local law enforcement. Also how is it that a crime cannot be committed from a snowmobile or an off road vehicle. How many back country cabin breakins were committed with the aid of a snowmobile or off road vehicle? How many persons loved ones had been run over by someone operating an off road vehicle or snowmobile while intoxicated or operating recklessly? Would a visible readable registration decal be a benefit for solving those crimes? If you want to keep riding illegal I guess that is up to you and you may be right the procecuter may not want to deal with it but I rarely see that happen. What bothers me the most about this anti registration attitude is not the disrespect for law enforcement enforcing the registration laws its the perception it leaves with those who knows little about the sport of snowmobiling and those who are active in banning the sport on public lands. Of course if they are successful you can still go ride on private land and not need to register your sled but I will be pissed that I cannot ride public lands with my personal sled on my days off and will have to quit my job since I refuse to enforce a total ban of snowmobiles on public lands.

M

MPS

Sorry your moral rant does nothing for me. It is time Americans stood up to tyranny and this is one faucet of it. I am done with taxation without representation. We are railroaded with taxes at every intersection and you are a tool used by this tyranny. Now you can shove your morality/ethical speech where the SD sun doesn't shine.

However, I am glad you admitted that one of your priorities is maintaining a stable revenue source. You can go ahead and move that to number one though. Because most of us know your are full of chit on the ranking of that one. I certainly do coming from that profession. BTW, you have a stable revenue source! It is called taxes! The American people are taxed enough and you must be proud putting yet another burden on them.

Last edited:

Yamadoo04

Premium Member
Oct 4, 2005
Herriman, Utah
www.youtube.com
Hey Sdsnocop,

I started this thread about a legally registered sled. I know it has taken a little different turn about registration. I don't have a problem with registering my sled but I know others do. You talk about being able to see the sticker from far away but 99% of the time the sticker is covered by snow so not visible anyway while riding. Would you give a ticket to a guy that has legally registered his sled but placed their sticker so it's not readily visible? I think it's fairly reasonable to say that most people that register their sleds are law abiding citizens and therefore are not the ones breaking into cabins and such. It's probably a stolen sled or not registered sled that is used in these kind if activities. It's all about revenue and all the other reasons are secondary. Why else do cops pull over cars doing 5 mph over the speed limit and give out tickets? It's all about a source of revenue. I think this is why so many people hate cops no matter what kind of cop. You (cops) are there to Serve and Protect. Who are you protecting when hassling someone that put their sticker under the hood? I am a law abiding citizen that just doesn't want an ugly yellow, red, blue, or green sticker on my sled.

S

snengineer

Nov 26, 2007
South Jordan, Utah
A guy I ride with puts his stickers on the inside of the tunnel...sort of pisses off the Forest Service Cop, but are fully visible by rolling up the sled.
I put mine on the bulkhead behind the front shocks.

I do the same, it doesn't get rubbed off and all the fish cops I come across think its a good place for the sticker. It is mostly visible and ugly but I just don't want it falling off and I hate getting crap from the fish cops.

M

MPS

Don't get me wrong I don't dislike law enforcement. I was proud to serve. I dislike douchebag cops that are out to collect revenue instead of doing real police work and serving the very FAWKING people who employ them! Not robbing them for more money!

There are thousands of sex offenders out there. If ya want to make a difference... check up on what those pieces of trash are doing! Harass them! Harassing good people for more money gets ZERO respect from me. Help parole officers check up on offenders. Most of their caseloads are too big.

Sorry about the derailed thread Yamadoo

Last edited:
Premium Features