• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Race gas on a stock sled

Proride_58640

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2013
So question I have for some guys out there. I ride a 2015 skidoo Xm 174 basically all stock besides a can which doesn't add much. I came off a 2013 Carl's 900 pro last Year and ran 100ll AV gas in it 100%. It's $4.05 a gallon here where I'm from. My question is if you could pay around $4 a gallon for AV gas and burn it in a stock sled would you? Or is it a waste of money?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtnclimber19

Lifetime Membership
Mar 13, 2008
Sheridan, wy
It would be a waste of money. You would probably even lose a little throttle response and performance. The higher the octane the slower the fuel burns which makes it more resistant to detonation. It won't help performance unless your motor requires it due to compression or modification.

Quinlan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
ND
Put 91 non-eth in it and call it a day. No need for anything more if you don't have mods that require it.

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
Most people confuse "high octane" with more power. That is not the case. Higher octane is a slower burning fuel to reduce detonation in high compression applications. If high octane is used in a stock engine not designed for high octane use, it will have just the opposite effect. . . .less power, and slower throttle response. Also seems to gum up the exhaust valves due to the slower burn and a bit "cooler" combustion temps. Proper combustion temps are needed to keep exhaust valves clean.

Premium Features