• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Rabbit ears conditions

Calvin42

Premium Member
Oct 14, 2008
Cantonment, FL
I rode Rabbit Ears last week and also Hahns Peak. Found some good snow in both places. But you have to be willing to pick your way through the trees. The best snow I found was West of Hahns Peak Roadhouse. Founds tons of untouched powder. Had a great time and even got stuck a couple of times.

C
Jan 5, 2012
Iowa
Headed out next week.

What's a good site to check the forecast? Im super pumped and find myself checking for updates/forecast more than checking out the neighbor lady lately.

Been looking at RE Pass forecast, but is that accurate? GPS coordinates would be great.

L
I think the weather service was a little off. We headed up there Monday expecting less than an inch of fresh. At least 5" in the parking lot when we got there and just over 12" fresh when we left at 5 that night. Within 2 miles of the parking lot was awesome. Our tracks were buried within 2 hours of when we went through. You should be fine :)

RE1.jpg RE2.jpg RE3.jpg

M

mt.aero

Nov 14, 2011
Steamboat
Headed out next week.

What's a good site to check the forecast? Im super pumped and find myself checking for updates/forecast more than checking out the neighbor lady lately.

Been looking at RE Pass forecast, but is that accurate? GPS coordinates would be great.

noaa.gov is the best if you ask me. You can even choose your location on a topo map so you get specific forecasts for a specific area.

Snow should be good when you get here. Supposed to dump the next couple days starting tomorrow... calling for 11-21 inches at the Ears by Thursday night. Avy danger is going to be out of control though. Be careful out there everyone.

B

BallsDeep_5280

Oct 16, 2012
CO
^^^Seconded. Avy danger should be pretty high by Thursday evening if not sooner. Remember that the biggest and best tool in avalanche terrain is your decision making skills. Make the correct decisions and its nothing but fun... make one wrong decision and you could be in a few tons of trouble very quickly.

N

Nychaze

Sep 15, 2012
Westminster, CO
What's a good site to check the forecast?

http://opensnow.com/state/CO

Open Snow is awesome, it's geared toward the ski resorts forecasting but most of our snowmobiling areas are near a ski resort.

Rabbit Ears/Buff Pass - Steamboat
Grand Lake - Winter Park
Vail Pass - Copper/Vail

If Steamboat says 6", you can bet there is at least double on the pass.

Forecast for this week:

Steamboat 1-3" 4-7" 6-10" 3-6" 2-4" 2-4" 1-2" 0-1" :cheer2:

Premium Features