• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Quick Drive lower sprocket stripped

A

autowrench

Nov 26, 2007
Grand Lake, CO
Title say it all. Last year the lower sprocket bolt broke off. Dealer replaced driveshaft, lower sprocket, and belt. It is a 13 and had 2100 miles. I year and 2 weeks later at 3600 miles, the lower sprocket wiped all the splines off the inside and pitched me off in the process. At first I thought the driveshaft went since it stopped so quick. I was carving turns in soft snow. Can't call it powder this time of year. It made a kind of buzzing noise as it happened. When we got it back to a trail, I could see the lower sprocket had just a little space between the washer and sprocket and I could wiggle it some. I removed both sprockets and the belt and all the splines were gone except maybe an 1/8" on the outside. Good thing I went for the 4 year warranty! I guess that besides the 10.2 hardened bolts that a re-torque or 2 a year is called for.

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
I "nut and bolt" my sled about 3 times a season, Its a process of putting a wrench or socket on every bolt or nut you can get at and making sure its tight. Its something I did weekly on my race cars and just apply it to my sleds also but not on a weekly basis. Eric

A
Nov 26, 2007
Elko, NV.
Since most have had issues with the original bolt I went to the 10.9 and check things over after every ride also. I just turned 2,030 miles on my original quickdrive belt and driveshaft. The belt appears tight enough to keep on running, they say to replace every 2,000 but after 2,000 miles of WOT mountain climbing things are looking great here. I am going to try and make the season ~2,600 and change out before next year.

A

autowrench

Nov 26, 2007
Grand Lake, CO
I've read quite a few posts of broken bolts and blown belts but I can't recall any that were like mine. It will be interesting to see what the dealer's take on this is. I now have almost 3700 miles. I went 1600 on the last repair. I'll have to read Mountainhorse's bolt posts again and make that change. Definitely will be checking bolts more often!

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
FYI I broke a 10.9 hard bolt this winter, I now went to 12.9. This is on a 15 Pro. Some shafts appear to fit the pulley looser than others. If the pulley moves on the shaft under the bolt head it is just a matter of time. Do not take this lightly as your life rides on that bolt and the fact that you will have no brakes if it breaks. I actually put the Loctite 660 on both top and bottom splined shafts now to stop the pulleys from moving.

NapaMatt

Matryx 850 Pow Slayer!
Lifetime Membership
Mar 13, 2009
Stewartville, MN
www.napaonline.com
Hmm Hmm Polaris..

Why aren't you using all the splines in the sprocket.. To contact on the shaft..

Maybe that will be an upgrade in the later years.. 300% increase to drivetrain power loss... lol..

... ops..

Dang.. What are these sprockets made from?

Embrace the BRAAAAAAP!
Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Where the Buffalo roam
KIMG0038_zpsmpj5qcr9.jpg

KIMG0037_zpsclawfybc.jpg

They copied Doo of course and used the same goo..top five XM threads and one is new Poo :face-icon-small-dis

JMCX

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta
I would say you had really loose spline fit like mine and the bolt was there but not clamping at all. Miles and miles of this and it wore the splines out.

A

autowrench

Nov 26, 2007
Grand Lake, CO
How many miles? Did your bolt break or did you find the loose fit another way?
Not surprising there are problems! I didn't see what mine fit like. It was replaced along with the driveshaft last year after the bolt broke. At least I think I got new sprockets.

Tom

JMCX

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta
That's my 2015 with just a few hundred miles. Found this after the bolt broke. That same pulley on my 2013, with 2200 miles, fits perfect. No play at all.

K

knifedge

Dec 20, 2009
Colorado
Hmm Hmm Polaris..

Why aren't you using all the splines in the sprocket.. To contact on the shaft..

Maybe that will be an upgrade in the later years.. 300% increase to drivetrain power loss... lol..

... ops..

Dang.. What are these sprockets made from?

--Investors got paid, that is what counts...

A

autowrench

Nov 26, 2007
Grand Lake, CO
Update- Polaris warranty company is covering the repair to include sprockets, driveshaft, and lower bearing. Belt is not covered. $50.00 deductible. I'm okay with this. I hope they get a good fit. I wanted to share this problem with the forum just for information purposes. I know I will be doing a "nut and bolt" more than once a year in the future. Kind of like torqueing the primary clutch bolt on my old Ski Doo!

Tom

JMCX

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta
I would personally want to inspect the fit of the gear on the shaft before they install anything. Don't accept another ticking time bomb. They have a lot of out-of-spec parts on the shelf.

Premium Features