• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Queston about 2 cycle oils and mixing

S

SpencerA

Mar 30, 2010
Portland Oregon
I bought a Polaris snowmobile and it had a blue color oil in reservoir. I run Redline in all my sleds so I immediately siphoned out the old stuff and added redline. What I didn't do is get it out of the oil line. I was reading in manual to never mix oils in that it could cause a reaction. I'm not sure what oil it was but should I be concerned?

S

sledneck_03

Jan 3, 2009
Saskatoon, SK
I bought a Polaris snowmobile and it had a blue color oil in reservoir. I run Redline in all my sleds so I immediately siphoned out the old stuff and added redline. What I didn't do is get it out of the oil line. I was reading in manual to never mix oils in that it could cause a reaction. I'm not sure what oil it was but should I be concerned?

just propaganda so you buy polaris oil, and synthetic ves polaris oil.

S

suitcase

Nov 9, 2008
In the great part of OR.
I dont even worry about even getting the old oil out,fill it up with red line and go!! polaris use to say you had to run the blue oil for a tank of gas before going to the gold . This was to help break in ? I run red line as well, It will seperate a little after time. But in a sled the oil gets mixed up pretty good. :face-icon-small-ton The only thing I have been told by some wrench truners, is you can go from non synthetic oil to synthetic. But you can go from syenthic back to non synthetic, not sure if thats the case but I have went with it.

C

cowboy181d

Nov 1, 2008
Burns oregon
You should be just fine.

I do the same when I buy a new sled, Drain all the god only knows what brand oil out that is in the sled refill with known good oil don't worry about what is in the lines as it wont be in it long enough before my brand oil is hitting the bearings!

S

SpencerA

Mar 30, 2010
Portland Oregon
Sorry yes I meant chain case oil. Is it ok to drain and refill chain case. I always use synthetic koltz chaincase oil. Not sure what was previously in it.

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
Yes again, it's fine. Chaincases are very forgiving. I've run them on everything from gear lube to hyd oil although I usually pull the cover off and inspect every year or 500 mi or so.

Premium Features