• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Pull Rope question!!!

Yesterday my brother was working on a 02 700 RMK, putting a new pull rope on because the old one broke. through all his work he lost a bolt, so we had to get one the next day meanwhile he had to go back to his house for college. So today i put on the bolt and when i tryed starting it, it would not have any presure to start it. so i took everything off and i found that there is a little piece that is supposed to catch the motor to make it go around to start the sled, but it would not spring out. So i wasent really thinking and took it apart and then that recoil spring that pulls the rope back in came out and unwraped itself. Now i dont know how it goes back in there. Help would be greatly apprieciated. Thanks

Powder Pro

S

Supplicate

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Oct 4, 2005
Slowdotnuh
Had this happen to me a few years ago. After trying for several days to get the old one wound back up, I went and bought a new one. They are cheap and worth it to not go through the frustration of trying to rewind it. BTW, mine finally broke because I had tried to rewind it so many times.

edit: if your dealer is like mine, take the recoil assymbely in with you and they will install the new spring and everything for you while you stand there BSing with em and not charge you any labor for it :D

WyoUltra

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Casper, WY
This happened to me, it's not fun...

If you want to rewind it, I suggest holding it in the middle/center of the coil at start winding it,(pushing it through/under your thumb and 1st? finger) and every once and a while pull it out so it becomes tighter and smaller. Then look at where the center folds over (kind of like a sidways U). Then look on the plastic where it should be a little worn and it should suggest it goes on side. Then try and get the coil inside and attached. Then bolt it all back together. But don't bolt it back on to the motor block yet, pull on the rope and see if it recoils, if it dosent try the other side. (it turned out the one I was working on was worn out anyways so I ended up on taking it to the dealer to get a new coil and having them assemble it for me...)

pm me back if my instructions don't make any sense (not very good at giving directions...)

Last edited:
I
Jan 12, 2004
Chattaroy Wa
i just had this happen to me also cause i was being stupid...what i did is pounded 2 nails into a large chunck of wood, one for the little hook to hook on and the other to help keep the coiled spring in place...then coil the spring up to a fairly small circle and clamp it with some vice grips...then you might have to take a nail out of your board but put it in your recoil and hold it down with a small block of wood or something just so the coil doesnt unwind out of the recoil when you release your vise grips....took me about 5 min to do...wasnt really as bad as i thought

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
Thanks for the help, my dad and i went out there and got it all back on in about 2 hours.

Powder Pro

I'm laughing (with you not at you). Because I've been there and spent a couple hours winding one of those springs. They can only go one way or the other, so trial and error come into play.

Aren't you glad you didn't take it to your dealer now?

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
I'm laughing (with you not at you). Because I've been there and spent a couple hours winding one of those springs. They can only go one way or the other, so trial and error come into play.

Aren't you glad you didn't take it to your dealer now?

:D :D :D

Premium Features