• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Project: Function and Form, IQR mountain build

StolenNolan

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 20, 2014
Minot ND
I'm horrible at build threads. Anyway. The sled was finished and then stretched to a 163x3. I've done a whole lot of one off custom stuff on here. The belt drive, however is popping belts. I think I'm over tightening them. We shall see, I ordered more belts and im going to precisely measure belt tension.

Im going to ride it this season and I have more parts coming to throw it under the knife again. It handles excellent, better than I expected.

If you want to know any details, feel free to ask. I can start putting a list of stuff together ?

20201118_162710.jpg

StolenNolan

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 20, 2014
Minot ND
2005 IQR bulk head and steering hoop
2005 IQR steering post and steering components
Black IQR plastics
Custom front bumper
Holz 39" chromoly a arms
Fox float 3 evols
Mountain side 1" offset spindles - pro rmk
Holz chromoly alpha x 163 rear skid
Ice age anti stab kit
Fox float rear shocks
Camso x3 163x3 3.0 pitch
2008 Dragon 155 tunnel
B&M IQR running boards custom fit to tunnel
Skinz pro rmk rear bumper
Pro rmk drop brackets
Custom tunnel braces
Removed IQR front cooler - custom block off plates
1 1/8 hex shaft with 7 tooth extroverts 2.82 pitch

2015 pro rmk 800cfi
Custom fit electric start
Rk tek drop in kit
Rk tek high comp heads
V force 3 Reed valves
Jaws y pipe and pipe
Custom muffler
Specialty motorsports synchro drive 2.13
Custom chain case for pro rmk brake caliper
Custom machined pro rmk rotor - light weight
Pro rmk jack shaft
Pro rmk team secondary
Dragon oil and coolant reservoir
Cobra pull cord
Boondocker fuel controller
EGT Guages

Custom 7 gallon aluminum gas tank
Machined bung to drop in pro fuel system in front of tank

Pro taper fuzion Carmichael bend bars
Munster finger throttle
Axys seat and post

I'll try to keep up from here. Big changes coming ?

StolenNolan

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 20, 2014
Minot ND
Got around to updating the front suspension to a Skinz Free Flow front end with raptor shocks. I had to do some small modifications with the bushings on the lower A arms. But other than that it was easy. Gained almost 3 inches of front ground clearance and dropped the front of the skid down an inch to help the rear suspension geometry.

I'm in the market for an extended chain case and a nextech 155" skid.

20210305_111340.jpg

X
Oct 8, 2009
Did you figure the belt drive issue out? If so, what change was successful for you? Did you follow the tension spec from c3 or find a different spec works better? I'm considering a c3 for my viper turbo. Its on the bench, but I am not sure it can handle the power. Everyone I speak with keeps saying they can handle more than a hyvo chain, but 350 hp is a lot. If you keep breaking them, I won't ever pull the belt drive off...except to put the chain back on.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Did you figure the belt drive issue out? If so, what change was successful for you? Did you follow the tension spec from c3 or find a different spec works better? I'm considering a c3 for my viper turbo. Its on the bench, but I am not sure it can handle the power. Everyone I speak with keeps saying they can handle more than a hyvo chain, but 350 hp is a lot. If you keep breaking them, I won't ever pull the belt drive off...except to put the chain back on.
Tom of TKI was running his belt drive on high HP 4 stroke Cats. He said only the Gates Poly-Chain carbon fibre belts were holding out and he has tried them all. If belts are blowing they are either too tight or too loose. It is not hard to get it right only you need to understand that you don't need them banjo tight and secondly that they do tighten up as the gears get hot and expand.

X
Oct 8, 2009
Tom of TKI was running his belt drive on high HP 4 stroke Cats. He said only the Gates Poly-Chain carbon fibre belts were holding out and he has tried them all. If belts are blowing they are either too tight or too loose. It is not hard to get it right only you need to understand that you don't need them banjo tight and secondly that they do tighten up as the gears get hot and expand.
I'm aware of people running them on outlaw drag sleds with 600+ hp, but the builders of those sleds do run them banjo string tight. If not, they will blow belts. However, the gears don't really get hot in 500 to 1000 feet. Hence my inquiry. Outlaw sleds also run really big top gears (35 to 37 teeth) so mechanically there are a lot more cogs to bite into to prevent skipping teeth.

I appreciate Tom had success, but I'm not sure how much power his test sleds make. Most 1100T sleds did not make more than 240 to 270 hp. The turbo is simply too small. Superchute sleds had bigger compressor wheels and made roughly 300. To make more power, m1100T's really need bigger turbos. In the mountains, those sleds are very rare.

If they work...great. I just don't want problems because I have an odd use case and use a 30 tooth top gear. My dilemma is I have the power to break belts when the gears are not fully expanded, which is likely a common occurrence when I am looking to pull a chute or accelerate after sitting for some time. In the end, I just have not used them enough to say it will be problem free.

sooboy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Motor City
Welp. 4 years later, I figured I'd pick up where I left off. First major hurdle, fuel tank. The dragon tank does not fit and I do not want to run the IQR tank/seat.

I'm currently in the middle of building and aluminum one. Now I need to figure out how to post pictures again
If I remember correctly they used to use the rev tank and seat as an option on these.It’s been a few years for me but I’m getting back into it.I found the stock running boards are too wide on these stock . Makes you stall out and acts as a pivot point .You can whip a 3 ft donut though lol!I plan on reworking mine and shaving down a few inches on the width.

Premium Features