• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Primary Ring and Balancing

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
If these new clutches are coming shipped with no ring gear on the back, and they are drilled on the cover and balanced from the factory... Then wouldn't putting the ring gear back on the back now throw off the balance of the clutch, and thus need balanced again?

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
The ring wasn’t listed in the parts fiche a few years ago when I bought a new clutch. Probably still isn’t.

Ultimately it would be best to balance with it on but I have moved it to new clutches twice witout balancing. Over 3,400 miles since factory clutch failed.

Lots of people say to leave the ring off. I figure it serves some purpose because when the factory is making efforts to save weight (they are trying aren’t they?) what an easy way to shave some weight.

Qreiff

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colorado
IMO it would need re-balanced. It's an inertia ring. Helps with low end torque.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
It weighs 1.3lbs by the way.
My new clutch came with out it.
I didn't transfer the ring to the new clutch but i want to.
I think 1.3 lbs could help maintain a more consistent rpm in climbs.

Sent it

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
wonder if cat adds them after the fact on all of them. would explain the bad numbers people are seeing when they get them balanced correctly. would also add to the clutch/crank failures. Maybe ill send mine in this summer. dont like how they do the balancing holes on the cover. maybe ill get aftermarket cover too. damn it $$$$$$

Premium Features