• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Power valve hose?

Embrace the BRAAAAAAP!
Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Where the Buffalo roam
Seems to me that if you plug hoses (solenoid closed) the ves will work on exhaust pressure against the spring pressure. pre 05 style.
If you do not change spring pressure(spring) valves open at regular rpm (solenoid closed)
If you change spring pressure you can get valves to open sooner/later
If your solenoid is operable there should be no difference due to ecu control
A reflash could change opening parameters.
If your solenoid is malfunctioning (stuck open/sticking) you loose exhaust pressure and opening is little to non existant.
You can check hoses for excessive build up.
That said just plugging them does nothing if the sytem is operating correctly.
Tried it with 5/16 bolts in hoses then caps then attached all in one ride and really saw no improvement....others swear by it???? did not tamper with springs..jmo.

D

Danbot

Nov 29, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Sounds pretty unanimous on doing this mod to 900's, I am happy with the difference as well, I have been running them plugged for a while now.

C
Dec 16, 2008
So you can plug off each hose comming from the exhaust valves... what about the line into the selonoid? Should that be plugged?

D

Danbot

Nov 29, 2007
Alberta, Canada
So you can plug off each hose comming from the exhaust valves... what about the line into the selonoid? Should that be plugged?

The solenoid allows exhaust pressure to escape, preventing the valves from opening until the ECM decides otherwise.
So... you can plug the system off anywhere so long as it doesn't allow the pressure to escape through the solenoid. But, to answer your question... no, once your valve lines are plugged there is no need to plug solenoid hoses further down the system.

Here's how I did mine:
Remove the 2 hoses coming from each VES valve body from the T fitting, zip tie the T fitting and hose leading to the solenoid out of the way, and put a stud or a bolt with the head cut off in place of the T fitting. Your valves are now plugged and exhaust pressure will act on the valves directly.
Leave the solenoid on your sled and electrically plugged in, so your ECM still thinks it's there.

M

miko700

Dec 16, 2009
Washington cascade concrete
search it...

ya know I asked the same question a while ago and i cant remember who gve me the hypertext to the thread but there is a very extensive and technical discussion regarding this procedure its a very good read i did mine about 8 rides ago and all i notice (i think) is a little more low end pull and a smoother band through low and mid "seems" to have had no negative affects whatsoever, thanks by the way i love these small cheap twists u guys put on here i think i like tinkering with me sled almost! as much as i like riding it.

D

Danbot

Nov 29, 2007
Alberta, Canada
ya know I asked the same question a while ago and i cant remember who gve me the hypertext to the thread but there is a very extensive and technical discussion regarding this procedure its a very good read i did mine about 8 rides ago and all i notice (i think) is a little more low end pull and a smoother band through low and mid "seems" to have had no negative affects whatsoever, thanks by the way i love these small cheap twists u guys put on here i think i like tinkering with me sled almost! as much as i like riding it.
You betcha, here's the thread from the IQ forum:
http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/showthread.php?t=170978&highlight=plugged
3 pages of discussion on this topic but not limited to the 900.

C

Cpt.Ron

Oct 7, 2008
Revelstoke
www.powerhousecustoms.ca
After reading this thread a few times over the last week, considering all the views and points, I decided to try it on my sled yesterday.

A foot plus of new snow on Boulder to test in, with afternoon blue skies.......... it was a good ride to say the least.

I would say that there does seem to be a pinch more punch in the mid-range, and the power felt to be perhaps a bit more linear, very smooth through-out. I took several opportunities to check the tach while climbing and testing, ..my overall conclusion is positive, ...I beleive there is a modest improvement from blocking the circuit. I did the same procedure as DD has pictured above.

Thanks to all for the tip.

Cheers

CR

Last edited:
D

Danbot

Nov 29, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Yes that's what we should see for improvement out of this free mod is a slight increase in midrange and more linear power because the valves will open a bit sooner. Also because the valves are strictly controlled by exhaust pressure now, they will be capable of being truly variable rather than the open / closed switch that seems to happen with the solenoid controlling them. Plus by plugging the hose(s) you eliminate the possibility of the solenoid failing and not allowing the valves to open fully.

T

theUltamateTBM

Feb 20, 2008
I tried this on my 05 900 fusion today and the sled ran like crap all I have heard is positive things about this so I thought I would try I just unhooked the hoses and put caps on power valves and left the springs stock the sled was very blubery at low and mid throttle and great on top but it had absolutly zero pull I stoped and hooked everything back up and it pulled great and cleared up idk just my opinion though

C
Dec 16, 2008
After reading the other thread, this mod did infact lower EGTs in the lower and midrange, as expected no effect on top end EGTs.. I was kinda on a teeter about this mod, but after reading this I will definetaly give it a try. If no performance change at least Im not holding hot exhaust in the cylinder longer than it needs to be.

D

Danbot

Nov 29, 2007
Alberta, Canada
I tried this on my 05 900 fusion today and the sled ran like crap all I have heard is positive things about this so I thought I would try I just unhooked the hoses and put caps on power valves and left the springs stock the sled was very blubery at low and mid throttle and great on top but it had absolutly zero pull I stoped and hooked everything back up and it pulled great and cleared up idk just my opinion though

This was something discussed in the other thread as well. At lower elevations, or in certain conditions it's possible that the valves are opening too early and taking away from low end power. Stiffer springs would likely tune this out. Thanks for sharing your experience. On the plus side, a cost of $0.00 to try it is easy to swallow!
Dan

G
Feb 17, 2011
Tried it today on my 900 switchback and was totally impressed with off the line power and hard midrange pull!
Top end was of no concern cause believe me i got there quik enough.
I plugged off each individually as i read somewhere in here by connecting the two together you are still working one back into the other one....whether that would have any adverse effect i dont know, but the other way was noticable improvement so i will just leave it this way.
I am a flatlander saskatchewan rider and was advised to give this a try for my kind of ridingwhereas powder conditions and higher elevation...leave it alone.......any validity to this???:noidea:

Premium Features