• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Powder pro skis vs. Powder hound skis

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
I run Powder Pro's on everything but the wifes trail sled. She's got SLT's and they are a real good trail ski and the few times I had the sled off trail I didn't see a downside to them but haven't spend enough time off-trail with them to give a good comparison. The only negative I have to say about the Powder Pro's is when there is a crust on the snow, once you break through they dive right in (much like most other ski's in those conditions). Last year I tried the "carl's cut" on my 900 and what a difference that made.... I can ride that thing on one ski for ever and it pulls to a side hill so much easier. On my Gen 2 sleds I couldn't really ask for more so I doubt I'll be cutting them up. There have been days where I've had to ride all day on the trail and haven't once found myself wishing I had a better set of ski's than the PP's, I don't really see any darting with those, I did try a pair of Grippers one day and was glad to have the Pro's back in the trailer as they went on that night.
There's so much more to "darting" than just the ski. (runners, ski pressure, ski alignment, etc).

The Grippers due to the ski bolt hole further aft, require more toe out , Solid 1/4 in and the dart is eliminated. They remain very lite to turn even in the crusty wet snow where the powder pros are horrible. The PP also is supper stiff ski and dosnt absorb/flex when hits are taken while boondocking and transfers all the energy to the A arms.Like anything setup is key.PP are fine in the deep and on trail but feel dead due to the ridged flex in comparable.The gripper are lively on a doo sled is very responsive and perhaps too responsive for some.The wider shovel helps maintain higher sled speed in the powder keeping the nose from diving and getting face shots.Key is the proper toe out with Grippers.

fc8464

Lifetime Membership
Nov 18, 2010
Fairbanks, Alaska 99725
Grippers

Just wodering where are you measuring for your 1/4 toe out? I will be robbing the set off my sons 13 Pro on our first ride . He is going to make the MODS off his M1 work on his Pro and see which he likes better. Thanks Fred

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Just wodering where are you measuring for your 1/4 toe out? I will be robbing the set off my sons 13 Pro on our first ride . He is going to make the MODS off his M1 work on his Pro and see which he likes better. Thanks Fred

mine are set measured 8 inch forward and aft of ski bolt at 1/4 toe out .this allows for the suspension to move and steer correctly, As suspension compresses the skis begin to toe in.

B
Jan 26, 2013
I just took off my 7" powder hounds and put on a set of powder pros. Here is what I found. The powder hound is way too soft and being a flat ski it can't climb up on the snow. In soft snow that had been previously set up and frozen at full counter steer the ski tip will flex in and hit my bumper, while the sled just keeps plowing along. They are like a snowshoe, they will float but can't get up on the snow because they are flat. Don't let the kicked up tail fool you. The powder hound is a surf board there is no rocker in it. What changes my mind? Riding and watching people ride my new to me 99 indy sks 136 with slp slt's on it. They float great and come up on the snow fast because they are rockered. If the tail can't go down to let the tip come up he ski will just plow. That's exactly what happens with the powder hounds. Also the powder hound has no directional control in soft snow when just trying to turn around. My 151" mountain max that I took them off couldn't just turn around on flat ground to save it's life. Horrible directional control. My friends with powder pros can turn circles around me. After struggling with front end wash out sidehilling, I'm ready to try something else. The powder hounds may be great on a soft trail because the keel does track great but in tight technical riding they just aren't up to it. On a sled set up to transfer where they aren't on the snow probably not a big deal, but where I ride and the way we set out sleds up being able to come up on the snow but maintain control in a steep climb is critical.

Btw slp powder pros with hardwelds are going for $320 on eBay with fee shipping.

Premium Features