• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Polaris Khaos Boost Operating Temp

Hi All,

New to modern sleds but went for it and couldnt be happier. Snowchecked a 2023 Khaos Boost 155 Slash. Got 20 miles on it, and I have been following guidelines for break in.

Was riding on Sunday and been noticing on groomed trail between bowls with good powder that my temps got up to 160 with scratchers down the whole time (was a 36 degree day oddly).

Let the rest of the people I was riding with know, they gave me a bit of panic and said I needed to do some additional cooling solutions (hood vents, ski scratchers)

curious everyones thoughts? I heard the boost engine is shipped a bit tight and loosens up after break in and that the typically run hot.

Thanks in advance!

B

Boosted Billy Goat

Oct 5, 2021
Thunder Bay, Ontario
That’s too hot dude. My 22’ runs around 110 in pow, if you’re over 135 it’s getting warm. Try putting it on its side on fresh along the trail and spin the track. If you go too long without pow you could also heat up your track and cause permanent damage to that. Your sled will flash earnings and possibly shut down around 170 from what I recall. Every sled has this issue but the new Matryx chassis seems to have more cooking challenges with the shorter exchangers in the tunnel.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Groomed trail it’s easy to hit 160 even with the scratchers down on pretty much every newer mountain sled. Most newer mountain sleds the manufactures save weight by making the cooling systems smaller. You have to be pretty careful on the trail. The slash is especially bad because of its lack of a snow flap. Once off trail in deeper snow pretty normal to see 90-120 degree temps. The Everett expandable snow flap would be your best bet in helping.

This video may help you understand

That’s too hot dude. My 22’ runs around 110 in pow, if you’re over 135 it’s getting warm. Try putting it on its side on fresh along the trail and spin the track. If you go too long without pow you could also heat up your track and cause permanent damage to that. Your sled will flash earnings and possibly shut down around 170 from what I recall. Every sled has this issue but the new Matryx chassis seems to have more cooking challenges with the shorter exchangers in the tunnel.
Yeah, definitely has me worried. typically dont ride trail, but it happens... Thanks!

Groomed trail it’s easy to hit 160 even with the scratchers down on pretty much every newer mountain sled. Most newer mountain sleds the manufactures save weight by making the cooling systems smaller. You have to be pretty careful on the trail. The slash is especially bad because of its lack of a snow flap. Once off trail in deeper snow pretty normal to see 90-120 degree temps. The Everett expandable snow flap would be your best bet in helping.

This video may help you understand

Extremely helpful, I just ordered one of the flaps!

TDR

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2012
My new boost is the same you are fine. When the temp goes red the sled reduces to 70% power. Time to stop and cool at that point. 205 is forced shut down. Don’t suggest you go there.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
Just kinda the way it is. I wouldn't stress about hitting 160 here and there. Driving a little faster may help depending on conditions. Boost runs a little hotter than the equivalent NA, yup

D
Nov 17, 2008
I was having the same overheating problem with my 9R 165 pro. Added second set of scratchers and now on hard packed trails the double scratchers will keep temp below 135 if you are traveling above 28-30 mph. There is a sweet spot for speed on different snow conditions. You can also go too fast and reduce the cooling affect. Have to learn how to manage speed to get the best cooling. In power or 2" or more fresh snow on trails machine will stay cool without scatchers if you are not going too slow. If you are not pushing your machine and not using a lot of power there is nothing wrong with allowing the temp to get to the red warning. Just don't try using all the sleds power when the temp gets above the 140 -150 mark !!

I was having the same overheating problem with my 9R 165 pro. Added second set of scratchers and now on hard packed trails the double scratchers will keep temp below 135 if you are traveling above 28-30 mph. There is a sweet spot for speed on different snow conditions. You can also go too fast and reduce the cooling affect. Have to learn how to manage speed to get the best cooling. In power or 2" or more fresh snow on trails machine will stay cool without scatchers if you are not going too slow. If you are not pushing your machine and not using a lot of power there is nothing wrong with allowing the temp to get to the red warning. Just don't try using all the sleds power when the temp gets above the 140 -150 mark !!
Great advise, thank you! I ride with my wife, so sometimes speed through trees when its packed a bit limits speed. going to rock the dual scratchers and a custom flap mentioned in the thread above.

Solarguy

Premium Member
Jun 23, 2011
NW Montana
Hi All,

New to modern sleds but went for it and couldnt be happier. Snowchecked a 2023 Khaos Boost 155 Slash. Got 20 miles on it, and I have been following guidelines for break in.

Was riding on Sunday and been noticing on groomed trail between bowls with good powder that my temps got up to 160 with scratchers down the whole time (was a 36 degree day oddly).

Let the rest of the people I was riding with know, they gave me a bit of panic and said I needed to do some additional cooling solutions (hood vents, ski scratchers)

curious everyones thoughts? I heard the boost engine is shipped a bit tight and loosens up after break in and that the typically run hot.

Thanks in advance!
Ice storm scratchers cool much better than stock. Lowered the temps on my matrix Slash by 20 degrees.

Premium Features