• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

PMS kit going to the dyno

P

PAT2

Nov 8, 2008
pipe

i did have this pipe dynoed by jim at dyno tech. he told me it made 2 to 3 hp more on 2 different motors. over slp and bikeman. i dont know anyone with slp or the bikeman mod to even take along sorry.

Did you have it dynoed last year at dyno tech? It was at dyno tech were I tried a aeen pipe. Jim had it. wonder if it was yours? was better than slp but on my motor dynoport made 8 more hp than them. I think I better check my dyno sheets.

Last edited:
P

PAT2

Nov 8, 2008
aeen

I was wrong about the 8 hp. it made 159 and the dyno port made 171. slp did 155-156. bmp stock pipe mod did 168

KJAssault

Premium Member
Sep 21, 2011
Not close enough to snow
I was wrong about the 8 hp. it made 159 and the dyno port made 171. slp did 155-156. bmp stock pipe mod did 168

wow ya that was my aaen pipe he had it all last winter. were you the one with the ported 800. cool man hows your sled running is the porting worth it thinking bout it now that the motor is reliable.

A

akrevrider

Jan 15, 2008
Wasilla, Alaska
Great stuff guys keep on teaching

KJ,

Are you going to try it with & with out a T-stat on the dyno? How about plugging the exhaust selenoid valve to see the difference on HP gains/loss?

Have had good luck doing running with out a T-stat and plugging the valves on mine. Put the T-stat back in mine until warm spring temps; however plugging the valve made a noticeable difference on my D-8.

akrevrider

Last edited:

KJAssault

Premium Member
Sep 21, 2011
Not close enough to snow
KJ,

Are you going to try it with & with out a T-stat on the dyno? How about plugging the exhaust selenoid valve to see the difference on HP gains/loss?

Have had good luck doing running with out a T-stat and plugging the valves on mine. Put the T-stat back in mine until warm spring temps; however plugging the valve made a noticeable difference on my D-8.

akrevrider

t-stat in sled never gets over 130*F solenoid plugged right know with pink springs new also have new stock spring to try and ya after we get it tuned in gonna run it with solenoid unplugged and plugged with pink and stock spring combos.

R

R44guy

Oct 8, 2008
MN
www.mnhelicopters.com
hey guys been doing a lot of reading about flashes on pms kit. i just wanted to let you guys know that my assault is gettin strapped to the dyno on tuesday dec 13th to get her tuned in. setup going to the dyno is,
PMS KIT, 12.5 PA HEAD, AAEN PIPE, HPS CAN, PCV, AND PINK EXHAUST SPRINGS. elevation is about 2000ft. hopefully get pixs and post numbers when its done. :rockon:

KJ,

Good luck on the Dyno and bring some good fuel. I had my sled on 09 D8 previously tuned on the Dyno and have the original 1st design 08 higher compression cylinder head with orignal 08 factory map with the pms mtntk fix it piston jug shim kit with a PCV w/tune and Bikeman pipe and the pink exhaust springs with plugged off solenoid lines and found some good power but I broke my engine in with the fix it kit before the Dyno session which can effect your final hp numbers. it is fun and interesting to spend some serious time on the Dyno but you soon learn what works and what doesn't and for your sled the original muffler works better then a after market can does so bring your original with and try it out. The pipes are also hit and miss but please post your Dyno sheets and notes after the testing is done. I posted mine here when I did this last year and the Bikeman ceramic coated mod pipe made the best power increase compared with any other single pipe we tested but we did not have an aaen pipe to test. Good luck, have fun and we look forward to your results.

R

R44guy

Oct 8, 2008
MN
www.mnhelicopters.com
I had found out about the Bikeman pipe and pipe mod from Jim at DynoTech Research and he had explained that it was the only pipe he had previously seen make a notable power increase in the 800 CFI motor during all of his dyno testing units.

So when the time came to have my sled dynoed it was at Biikeman Performance since they are the closest place to my location in MN that has a dyno and they offered up one of there pipes compared to my SLP single pipe and can. Obviously the BMP pipe blew the SLP out of the water by 7 more hp and with a stock muffler there was a 12 hp difference with the pcv tuning.

Unfortunately the only thing a aftermarket can or muffler does on this motor is make less horse power on the dyno and I have never heard of one producing the same amount of power as the stock muffler offers. The only advantage I know of using an after market muffler or can is for some weight loss or exhaust sound or noise. The mufflers have a special flow balance or tolerance from what I understand and that is if the muffler is too free flowing you lose power and if they are to restricted you also lose power. I would like to have an after market can or muffler but to pay money for something that loses power is not attractive to me and my wallet. If you find one that works better then the stock muffler please let me know.

P

PAT2

Nov 8, 2008
wow ya that was my aaen pipe he had it all last winter. were you the one with the ported 800. cool man hows your sled running is the porting worth it thinking bout it now that the motor is reliable.

Sled ran excellent last year. Can't ride hear till Dec. 20 so haven't had a chance to ride yet this year. Porting can help. I hate to tell anyone what will work cause each one of these sled seems different. After talking to a few people. even the stock port timing is different from sled to sled. We measured a couple cylinders and port were different. I'm sure porting will help with any motor.

P

PAT2

Nov 8, 2008
KJ,

Good luck on the Dyno and bring some good fuel. I had my sled on 09 D8 previously tuned on the Dyno and have the original 1st design 08 higher compression cylinder head with orignal 08 factory map with the pms mtntk fix it piston jug shim kit with a PCV w/tune and Bikeman pipe and the pink exhaust springs with plugged off solenoid lines and found some good power but I broke my engine in with the fix it kit before the Dyno session which can effect your final hp numbers. it is fun and interesting to spend some serious time on the Dyno but you soon learn what works and what doesn't and for your sled the original muffler works better then a after market can does so bring your original with and try it out. The pipes are also hit and miss but please post your Dyno sheets and notes after the testing is done. I posted mine here when I did this last year and the Bikeman ceramic coated mod pipe made the best power increase compared with any other single pipe we tested but we did not have an aaen pipe to test. Good luck, have fun and we look forward to your results.

Did you try a Dyno port pipe? That pipe worked best for me but BMP was really close to it. I also got 2.5 hp more with dyno port muffller vs stock with dyno port pipe. Just wondering how it works on a motor with the fix it kit. I noticed when I'm riding that the BMP stock mod pipe make my sled run a lot hotter.

Last edited:

KJAssault

Premium Member
Sep 21, 2011
Not close enough to snow
ok guys just got home from dyno today. sorry only got to run the current setup. as we had problems with the dyno drivers and we had two sleds to dyno. so time got short so got her tuned in and running good so happy with it over all. made 71.6hp at track i guess not bad considering the guys running it were inpressed by it. man it was fun. also dynoed buddys 1000 xfire made 81hp with speedwerks setup and power commander. also keep in mind this was on 2.52 software so my numbers are lower than actual. dont no the equation but probly only 2hp max off. i will post pixs when i can

wilsonck

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Calgary, Ab
do you have numbers off the engine? Like when Dynotech says that the Stoutner map made 157 or 162HP, they aren't measuring at the track. What did yours make for full power?

KJAssault

Premium Member
Sep 21, 2011
Not close enough to snow
do you have numbers off the engine? Like when Dynotech says that the Stoutner map made 157 or 162HP, they aren't measuring at the track. What did yours make for full power?

no i dont just got track numbers. its really any ones guess on motor hp. im actually just glad to get it tuned. got the massive stumble out of the midrange and the topend ran awesome. hard to say until i get it on the snow. i would guess that 165 range got to remember i turning the heavy comp track.

S
Oct 16, 2008
ok guys just got home from dyno today. sorry only got to run the current setup. as we had problems with the dyno drivers and we had two sleds to dyno. so time got short so got her tuned in and running good so happy with it over all. made 71.6hp at track i guess not bad considering the guys running it were inpressed by it. man it was fun. also dynoed buddys 1000 xfire made 81hp with speedwerks setup and power commander. also keep in mind this was on 2.52 software so my numbers are lower than actual. dont no the equation but probly only 2hp max off. i will post pixs when i can

Mind sharing where you had to add fuel? Did you run this set-up minus the kit previously? Curious if the kit itself leans any areas out. Thanks

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Have heard from several track dyno tuners and seen from the results that the clutch setups putting the most power to the track will almost never result in the best running sled on the snow....quite the opposite, some of the best performing sleds show some of the lowest numbers to the track.
I'm referring to a mountain application....perhaps a drag setup would show different results. This is where a combination of real world testing and using a track dyno as a tool might work best.
Anyone seen different? Or is it more how the track dyno is being used and how the results are being applied to changes being made??

KJAssault

Premium Member
Sep 21, 2011
Not close enough to snow
i completely agree that the dyno is not a cure all. the sled on the snow will tell the tale but we donthave snow and was afraid that my first ride will be in the mountains and having a virgin setup i didnt want to spend my time trying to tune the sled when i should be wrecking the snow. to answer the the fuel map question we actually had to take a couple points of fuel off in the mid range and top end.

S
Oct 16, 2008
A local shop has a track dyno and he builds some of the best clutch kits around. Isn't it about getting the power to the ground and not at the crank? Isn't that why Polaris is beating higher powered sleds? Yes it is , lol.

KJAssault

Premium Member
Sep 21, 2011
Not close enough to snow
i wish i could get the pics i have of the dyno uploaded. we gained 7 hp just by tuning the motor. beyond the motor making peak hp getting it to the track is the other obstacle to overcome i did not mess with clutching as i am very confident in my setup. however not to pick on cats but the 1000 we dynoed did make more horses at the track with clutching. but that to me only means that it just used the hp that the motor made more efficient and the didnt make anymore hp. like RTK stated this is a loaded topic.

back to topic if anyone needs a base map for 08 flash i would gladly share but it is on your risk

Premium Features