• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

PERC Reverse kit install

C
Nov 27, 2007
I have a brand new polaris perc reverse kit for a 2003 700 rmk.

I have a 2003 550 trail rmk. Its one they made that year still in the gen 2 chasis.

My question is if I can make that perc kit work on my 550? I know i need a different CDI and cdi harness.

But will the team secondary clutch, helix and black spring, and new main wire harness from the 700 RMK kit work on my 550?

Thanks in advance.

whoisthatguy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2007
The clutch will likely go on. You might need a different belt than what you have though. You probably will not find an intelligent answer from somebody who has done it before, regarding the wire harness, because nobody has. It does not take a lot of effort to install everything, except for the flywheel. So you just install it and see if it runs. You can always look up part numbers to compare the 700 rmk to the 550 trail, and see if they are the same. You did not include what they gave you in the kit. I am guessing, a CDI, a secondary clutch, a flywheel, left hand controls with the reverse button, the electrical harness to the left hand controls, the electrical harness to the CDI. You probably have a plug to the DET sensor, that you may not be using in the CDI harness. You might want to see whether the plug to the carburetor fits, before you start. Oil pumps that work in reverse are not really necessary, because you will only have it in reverse for a very brief time.

C
Nov 27, 2007
The kit came with the team secondary, helix, black spring, main wiring harness, cdi, cdi harness, handlebar pod with reverse button, rpm gauge with rev light.

My 550 has the rpm gauge with light already. The kit has no flywheel. I am told that had the flywheel with proper timing on the 03 and oil pump should be bi directional on 03 models.

Is there a good site to look up part numbers?

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
I'd agree you could probably use the clutch, but you'd likely need a different helix and spring to get the clutching right (it might work; it won't work well unless the clutching is a lot closer between the two setups than I'm guessing). The control pod and gauge are obviously useful. The harness you may be able to use; you'd went to pull up a wiring diagram and see if they're the same or close enough to adapt. I wouldn't even try to use the CDI. It may run, but it's definitely going to have a different timing curve than the 550; you'd either stand to lose power, or possibly burn the motor down. If it's the complete kit for the 700 RMK, I'd suggest selling it and finding a kit or a parts sled to pull from. If you were talking about using the 700 kit on an 800, you'd probably be in the ballpark, but you're talking about a lot of differences between a Gen II 550 and EDGE 700.

C
Nov 27, 2007
Thanks. It is the complete kit for a 700 Rmk. I did cross reference the clutch and it matches a 04 trail rmk 550 so that and the helix should work. I’ll check wiring diagram s foresure.

I’ll see what I find out but probably just sell it.

Premium Features