• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

P-22 failure on 9R

A
Nov 26, 2007
Elko, NV.
Sounds like a corporate insider may be a wee-bit hurt. Corporations aren’t all bad, set me up for very early retirement where I can ride every day, but once you’ve worked inside and see the gross inefficiencies in the model you can’t help but wonder if profit is the ultimate goal. We are presently 3 years, going on 4 with a clutch that is still creating profit destroying issues. One person could fix it, a think tank may drag it out forever. A good buddy of mine has a boost that was detroyed and a 9R destroyed on account of the clutch, both presently being repaired under warranty.

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
And no, I don’t work for a corporation.
They do have many faces, both good and evil, are very necessary in our lives.

mrooks17

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2021
Ohio
Great business talk guys... riveting stuff.

Ok, so again. Those of you who have had your P-22 balanced, have you still seen failure?

F
Dec 30, 2019
Great business talk guys... riveting stuff.

Ok, so again. Those of you who have had your P-22 balanced, have you still seen failure?

I had both clutches balanced, then I lapped the taper and used the installation bolt for 150/110ftlbs and running the latest bolt. Bought the TRS alignment tool and found the secondary needed to be shimmed out .133”. Prior to this work, the bolt was backing out every ride. The season was over before I could ride it, but I’ll post the results here next season.

gtwitch

Lifetime Membership
Jan 24, 2011
Laramie, Wyoming
Has anyone marked the black bolt after torqueing with fingernail polish to see if the bolt is backing off or is bolt getting longer as it stretches and needs to be retorqued??
gtwitch in wyoming

F
Dec 30, 2019
Has anyone marked the black bolt after torqueing with fingernail polish to see if the bolt is backing off or is bolt getting longer as it stretches and needs to be retorqued??
gtwitch in wyoming

Yes, but not with fingernail polish. I used a black paint marker on the silver bolt and now have switched out to a silver sharpy after going to the black bolt. The marks would always indicate the bolt had moved counter clockwise, but that doesn’t mean that it also didn’t stretch.

gtwitch

Lifetime Membership
Jan 24, 2011
Laramie, Wyoming
I started using Fingernail polish (red ) years ago to track torqued fasteners and keep a bottle in my toolbox. I have also just put a drop on the primary taper to see if the clutch has turned on the crankshaft after it has been lapped, and have never seen that move!!
gtwitch in wyoming

Premium Features